9 (39.1%)
Good
5 (21.7%)
Fair
2 (8.7%)
Poor (you have no taste)
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 20017 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 05:55:13 AM »
I liked titanic, but i enjoyed Avatar much more.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Dr. Joe

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010, 02:14:54 AM »
Avatar does not have an original story, and many of the characters have little depth. However, for me, it hit all the right emotional moments at the right times. The film was beautiful and had a fantastic atmosphere, but ultimately if it had not hit those emotional beats it would not have been satisfying to me. But it was.
I think you summed it up here.  In spite of the unoriginal story, the execution of it, combined with the incredible visuals, made AVATAR a great movie.

Eh...the visuals made it entertaining to watch in the moment.  I do not believe that that equates to "a good movie".

The more I've thought about Avatar, the unhappier I've been with it.  When it first ended, I thought "wow, that was great", but my opinion has since degraded a good bit.  The biggest problem, as a couple insightful friends pointed out, is the lessons that this movie is likely to teach the Hollywood decision makers, and the audiences of cinema.

1) A massive SFX budget can be used in place of any kind of originality or character development, and is easier to wave in front of prospective audiences with pre-release trailers.

2) Going forward, if the SFX of your 2010+ release aren't on par with those of Avatar, you're out-of-date.  If you can't afford that level of SFX, you can just fire some writers to make up the difference.

This is an issue that can also be seen in the video game industry.  In fact, it's considerably more pronounced over there.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010, 05:25:50 AM »
Being entertaining is the name of the game, so I don't get how you can say it isn't a "good" movie after your first sentence it's contradictory.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2010, 05:52:09 AM »
This is an issue that can also be seen in the video game industry.  In fact, it's considerably more pronounced over there.

I completely agree with you here.  It's hard to find a game with a really good story.  I personally would rather have substandard graphics and a great story.

I personally liked the story from Avatar, even if it was unoriginal.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »
This movie could hit $700 million. $40 million this past weekend, and early this week it will pass $500 million. Serious legs.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
Saw it for the third time, though in 2D this time. I missed the 3D, actually, but it still hit every chord right on the button. People were behind me saying "Awesome!" or laughing at the precise moments I knew things were going to happen. To me, I think this is the success of the film.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:58 AM »
Exactly.

People talk about appealing to the lowest common denominator. I don't think Avatar did that. But I think it appealed to the broadest common denominator (to remove it from the realm of math terminology). It hits the beats that the vast majority of people are going to like, and it does it in a way that's a treat to the senses.

What the best movie of all time is is going to be different for everyone because people's tastes are different. But so many people can agree that this movie is pretty darn good.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »
kinda unrelated, but it would seem avatar has started racking up a kill count.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »

It's ironic because I thought you were referring to its killing at the box office. But yeah, I guess your point is true too!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2010, 11:47:31 PM »
So Avatar started out stronger than titanic, meaning it could gross more in the end.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »

It's ironic because I thought you were referring to its killing at the box office. But yeah, I guess your point is true too!

Heh, that's exactly what I thought when my friend told me something along the same lines as what I posted, then he linked me to that.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2010, 12:03:50 AM »
So Avatar started out stronger than titanic, meaning it could gross more in the end.

I'd imagine it will.

Dr. Joe

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2010, 07:32:39 AM »
Being entertaining is the name of the game, so I don't get how you can say it isn't a "good" movie after your first sentence it's contradictory.

Rubbish.  Plenty of media can be entertaining in a kneejerk, reactive sort of way without actually being good.  One of the most entertaining experiences I've had at the movies in recent years was sitting in a packed theatre on the opening night of Snakes on a Plane, but that was still a TERRIBLE movie.

Avatar didn't do anything remotely noteworthy besides pushing visuals to levels greater (and more expensive) than ever.

Well, I guess the insane amount of money it's making is also noteworthy, but I believe you get my meaning.

I personally liked the story from Avatar, even if it was unoriginal.

It was indeed unoriginal, but that's not necessarily surprising.  Virtually everything is just re-packaging an existing story; the challenge is to do so in an interesting, innovative, engaging way.  This was Pocahontas in space, it didn't even really try to do anything interesting other than visuals, because the creators figured (correctly, unfortunately) that they didn't need to.

Saw it for the third time, though in 2D this time. I missed the 3D, actually, but it still hit every chord right on the button. People were behind me saying "Awesome!" or laughing at the precise moments I knew things were going to happen. To me, I think this is the success of the film.

I'd say that just means it was painfully predictable :(

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »

I'd say that just means it was painfully predictable :(

Once you see a movie three times in two weeks, yeah, they tend to do that regardless of the quality of writing. Y'know, because I've seen it three times...

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
anyone think taht maybe, just maybe, it is the highest grossing of all time, or will be because tickets are twice as much? (and more!)