9 (39.1%)
Good
5 (21.7%)
Fair
2 (8.7%)
Poor (you have no taste)
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 20016 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »
Are you judging the sound quality or the driving? Or the upholstery? You may as well say movies are the same technology as cave paintings. They're both pictures on flat surfaces, after all.

Peter: no, not the same at all. It is the difference between a donkey cart and a jet engine in your analogy. This movie even describes it as the same thing with more bells and whistles.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »

You're still wrong.  For things like Polar Express they used primarily Maya and Alias, for Avatar they used primarily Adobe products.  COMPLETELY different products and technologies.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »
Well, since Polar Express used sony's "Cinema 4D" and "Bodypaint 3D", and not either of those above.....

and this film, for 3D capture, used Krakatoa and software from "The Foundry" as well. I am sure they used Adobe products, but then again, i did today too and it wasnt for 3D motion capture filming, which, to my knowledge, Adobe does not do.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »

You're still wrong.  For things like Polar Express they used primarily Maya and Alias, for Avatar they used primarily Adobe products.  COMPLETELY different products and technologies.

It's also the first movie to use the "Sony Fusion 3D Camera System" that was announced back in 2007, which is an upgrade to their old fusion system that cameron loved using.

Also, if i remember correctly, it was the first film to render the scene in real time as the actors motion captured the scenes.

They also used a new way of using motion capture for facial expressions. (which was just a specialized helmet with a small camera in their face.)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »

I'm not sure if they used it for the motion capturing, but they used it for nearly everything else.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »
It may be nothing new but the execution is well done.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »
So I watched the movie in 3D, and I feel that it was worth the $11 I spent on it, which is saying something, since I am a little stingy when it comes to forking out that kind of money on a flick.  That being said, it was . . .  lacking.  The movie was black and white (metaphorically speaking of course), with no shade of grey anywhere to be seen.  Essentially the characters and character motivations were flat and uninteresting, yet at the same time fun to watch and well executed.  The plot was trite and tired and preachy, yet at the same time gripping in its execution.  Paradoxical, I know, but true.  To analogize, it was like seeing a tricked out chevy pinto, with fireballs on the sides and led lights underneath, and a horn that plays the Al Gore National Anthem when honked . . . cool to see, but in the end, it's still a pinto, and you're only going to get so much mileage out of that.  The movie was beautiful and well done, and as long as you don't pay too much attention to the man behind the curtain, you'll enjoy it.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
I think the car analogies are getting us nowhere.

Avatar does not have an original story, and many of the characters have little depth. However, for me, it hit all the right emotional moments at the right times. The film was beautiful and had a fantastic atmosphere, but ultimately if it had not hit those emotional beats it would not have been satisfying to me. But it was.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »
Er, Peter, you just said the same thing I did, only using different words, and noticeably lacking--and scornful of--car metaphors.  (I happen to like the car metaphors, but then I'm the metaphor kinda guy.  Besides, it was meant for entertainment value, and not to be taken completely seriously.  Way to be the murderer of fun. . .) 

I also found the film satisfying because it hit the right emotions at the right moments.  Then again, I kind of liked Eragon (the book--the movie was hideous) for the same reasons.  It was trite, predictable, and somewhat lacking in depth, but it was a page turner that held your attention.   I read through it once for pure popcorn pleasure, but had no intention of coming back.  Avatar has a little more staying power because of the eye candy, but not much.  I'll probably watch it again to appreciate the beauty of the film and the excellent execution, but that's about all the mileage I'll get out of it.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:45:00 PM by Recovering_Cynic »
~T.S. Eliot

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »
I dislike car metaphors..... and i think the movie wasn't necessarily a masterpiece but b/c it was so much fun it does rank in my top 10 (I feel the same way about Zelazny's Jack of Shadows. However it is not in my top 10 books more like 25 and it happens to be a collectible)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »
Avatar does not have an original story, and many of the characters have little depth. However, for me, it hit all the right emotional moments at the right times. The film was beautiful and had a fantastic atmosphere, but ultimately if it had not hit those emotional beats it would not have been satisfying to me. But it was.

I think you summed it up here.  In spite of the unoriginal story, the execution of it, combined with the incredible visuals, made AVATAR a great movie.  It had flaws, but so does every other Cameron movie.  They are still almost all great movies.

I also wear glasses, and I had no probs with the 3D.  I enjoyed the 3D.  I do want to see it in 2D at some point for comparison, but that will likely be on bluray.

As for all this arguing on whether the visuals are good or not...discuss it after you've watched the movie on a format other than some guy recording it in the theater.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »
Emmy DVD's arent good enough?

Very rarely will you find a torrent taht was some idiot taping in a theater. they are usually copies of Emmy DVDs.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM »
Emmy DVD's arent good enough?

Very rarely will you find a torrent taht was some idiot taping in a theater. they are usually copies of Emmy DVDs.

Bleh.  DVDs. 

Im kidding.  Hopefully you get a moment (or 3 hours) to watch the movie.  It isn't the best movie EVAH, but it is entertaining.  The blue aliens and the world of Pandora are all very awesome CG.  Many of the other creatures...well, not nearly as good.  There is a section where displacer beasts...err...viperwolves are chasing the main character around.  Very poor CG.  Yeah.

A friend of mine just wrote up a super long review comparing the movie to the original scriptment that Cameron made in the mid 90's.  A great review that highlights the movies strengths and weaknesses.  Once he posts it somewhere I'll link it.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »
~T.S. Eliot

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 01:52:17 AM »
So, Avatar hasn't even been out for a month and it is the second highest grossing movie of all time (unadjusted for inflation), behind Titantic. That's immensely remarkable.

And I'm dragging two of my friends to see it later in the week.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.