Author Topic: Most people say Kelsier wrong  (Read 15802 times)

Ari54

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
Re: Most people say Kelsier wrong
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:25 PM »
Yeah, it'd need to be spelled Vinxmnt. ;)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2010, 02:25:14 AM »
Valette? Now there's a name that's sure to have many mispronunciations.

I've always pronounced it like Valet, as in Valet parking, but with stress on the first syllable not the second.

I always pronounced Kelsier as... well you know Hoosier, like that minus the Hoo, plus the Kel =)
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2010, 03:28:05 AM »
V'a-lay and Kel-zher?

I... umm... didn't actually expect anyone to pronounce Valette as anything but V'a-let. :-\
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2010, 05:43:38 AM »
See I read it as V'a-let and then automatically correct myself to V'a-lay,
So it's like a weird combonation in my head.

And "zher" is a little too "h"y to describe it, Kel-zyur is probably the best way I can describe it. (I had a j in there for a while but I associate "j" with a "y" sound for some odd reason)
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2010, 06:24:03 AM »
Umm, like Jacques?
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2010, 08:38:36 AM »
I'm curious, how do you all pronounce Elend? I read it with the accent on the second syllable, but I'm listening to the third book on audio and the reader accents the first syllable.

I pronounced Valette with an accent on the second syllable and an audible t, so that it sort of rhymes with "cadet."

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
I'm curious, how do you all pronounce Elend? I read it with the accent on the second syllable, but I'm listening to the third book on audio and the reader accents the first syllable.

On an episode of Writing Excuses, Dan pronounced it "E-lind", I think, and Brandon didn't correct him. I've assumed since then that that's the proper pronunciation.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »
I pronounce Elend as El-lend, with both vowels sounding like those in "velvet". The vowels are slurred together and neither one has a consistent emphasis (though one always does have a slight emphasis, it's not always the same one).

The French pronunciation of Valette is Vah-let. I've said it as Va-let (with a hard "A" like in "and") accidentally/lazily at times, and a French speaker would understand what you were trying to say if you said it that way, though they would likely correct you.

How do y'all pronounce Renoux? (Reh-noo, "R" slightly in the throat)

Wikipedia has a good guide on french pronunciation if anyone is interested.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »
I pronounce Elend as El-lend, with both vowels sounding like those in "velvet". The vowels are slurred together and neither one has a consistent emphasis (though one always does have a slight emphasis, it's not always the same one).

The French pronunciation of Valette is Vah-let. I've said it as Va-let (with a hard "A" like in "and") accidentally/lazily at times, and a French speaker would understand what you were trying to say if you said it that way, though they would likely correct you.

How do y'all pronounce Renoux? (Reh-noo, "R" slightly in the throat)

Wikipedia has a good guide on french pronunciation if anyone is interested.

I pronounce Elend like E-Lend (E pronounced like you would in email, and lend like you're lending someone something).

i Pronounce Renoux "reh-know"
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

nikita kolesnik

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:05 AM »
Yup, it's with an A. Brandon probably just spelled it wrong initially in the MB3 spoiler thread. Remember how confused we were with laras/leras? :P

(This is the guy who spelled "Ascension" wrong. Frequently. Haha)

I had this problem too, until I discovered that Lerasium is Leras (the god)+ium (suffix implying metal), and that helps me get it right. Same with Atium, Ati+ium (but with only 1 "i")

clarissavandell

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »
This may be a French-tainted world, yet doesn't it make sense that 'Valette' would sound similar to 'baguette'?  The French don't disregard ALL 't's, I'm fairly certain.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »
Yes, the extra "te" on the end means "pronounce the t."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

MajorTom

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »
I actually like the idea of Kelsier being pronounced -ay.  It gives him some extra flair, makes me think of New Orleans.

visual_kiwi

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
oh wow I've been pronuncing kelsier like 'kel-seh'. Probably cos I have a New Zealand accent, and i somehow just ignored the i? lol

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »
oh wow I've been pronuncing kelsier like 'kel-seh'. Probably cos I have a New Zealand accent, and i somehow just ignored the i? lol

Nah, you probably just skimmed the name the first time and then kept pronouncing it the same way in your head. ;)