Author Topic: Most people say Kelsier wrong  (Read 15795 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Most people say Kelsier wrong
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 06:04:35 AM »

Well eventually there might be a couple more trilogies in the Mistborn universe.  ;]

Have you read Warbreaker or Elantris yet?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Cloudburst

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • My avatar is a work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 06:19:26 AM »
I haven't, although I've just started reading Warbreaker tonight. I didn't even intend to start reading it, but 20 pages in, I doubt I'll be able to just walk away, so I'll likely read all of it.

I'm quite new to reading. Until about a year ago, it had been many years since I'd read books on my own time, rather than for school (I'm a senior in high school now). I had always liked to read... in theory... but I had never gotten around to it. Then I ended up reading A Song of Ice and Fire over the school year, and I decided I wanted to read a lot more fantasy. I read Mistborn and several other books over summer, and started Wheel of Time. A couple days ago I finished book five of Wheel of Time, and I've decided to take a break from the series.

So, there's another book I intend to read soon, and then hopefully I'll pick up Elantris. I've also become very interested in writing fantasy, and Brandon Sanderson's online annotations sound extremely helpful for understanding the writing process.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 06:25:08 AM »

Well it's good to see people reading. =]

If you ever find you want a funny easy read check out Alcatraz, if you make through a single chapter without laughing . . . I would be . . . I want to say impressed that you can hold a straight face, but I'm not sure impressed is the right word.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Cloudburst

• Level 1
  • My avatar is a work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 06:28:49 AM »
I don't think it would be quite my type of book. Although, I may try reading it eventually.

clarissavandell

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
For me it's always the vowels.  Talking about Warbreaker with my dad, he just laughed at me when I pronounced Vasher's name as VAW-sher, with a long a.  Is it the 'a' in 'hat', or the 'a' in 'wash'?

And Voldemort's name is also pronounced incorrectly.  The 't' is silent, like the French.

Darn those French people and their funny words!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »

It's like the 'a' in hat.

xD

I always pronounce the t in Voldemort.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »

I said it that way too, til I realized his nickname was "Saze" and realized it was "Say-zd"

Two syllables. Say zed. Or saze ed.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 11:15:53 PM »
I've long given up caring whether I'm pronouncing fake Fantasy words and names "correctly", for the sake of my sanity.

Too true.

I still can't make myself say "say zed." It always comes out more like "suh zad,"(with the 'a' being like you were saying 'ah!'). I have no idea why, because "say zed" makes way more sense with the spelling...  :-\

I do pride myself on the fact that I finally think I figured out "Nynaeve" though. 
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 06:02:40 AM »
I pronounce it like a good ole American, Sazed with a long a and silent e. I speake de english.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:18:09 PM by Kaz Me Under The Mistletoe »
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 06:14:45 AM »

I said it that way too, til I realized his nickname was "Saze" and realized it was "Say-zd"

Two syllables. Say zed. Or saze ed.

Missed the e. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:36 AM »
Ah, pronunciations. Gotta love 'em. As for Sazed. I said it Say-zd, until I heard Brandon say it. Then I tried to fix myself, but I still haven't quite managed to oust out that silent 'e' yet and give the name 2 syllables. I'm right about 50% of the time.

Voldemort. I used to pronounce that one correctly. At least until a whole slew of people told me I was wrong, and that the name needed the 't'...I knew I shouldn't have listened to them (especially since I'd found the pronunciation on a site devoted to HP and this section had recordings of the correct pronunciations for all the names of all the relatively main characters).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »
I thought Rowling pronounced the t.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
I thought Rowling pronounced the t.

apparently not.

From wikipedia:

According to an interview with Rowling, "Voldemort" is pronounced with a silent 't' at the end, as is common in French.[2] This was the pronunciation used by Jim Dale in the first four U.S. audiobooks; however, after the release of the film version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, in which the characters who dared refer to him by name pronounced it with the "t", Dale altered his pronunciation to that in the films. The pronunciation has since been used in the other films as well.

Side note: personally, I pronounce the t, but that's because i only watch the movies.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
I think I remember hearing Rowling pronounce the "t" when she did a reading from the last book. Maybe she changed as well?
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 06:50:25 AM »
Hm. I always say Sah - zed. (A as in hat, and I pronounce the e).

I realized I was wrong once I saw his nickname, but didn't care enough to fix my pronunciation.

And the whole thing with Voldemort makes sense, but it seems really weird without the t.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence