Author Topic: Hoid Compendium :: Spoilers  (Read 24666 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid Compendium :: Spoilers
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2010, 06:53:49 AM »

Kel didn't have a lot of it, he just had a little access to it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Rezo

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
Where is that said and how could he?
I mean, there wasn't anything about it in the book.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
Where is that said and how could he?
I mean, there wasn't anything about it in the book.

There was a post by Brandon about it on the forum a while back, but it's probably easier to find it in the MB3 Annotations (it's one of the recent ones.)
Nature hates being reified.

Hibron

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2010, 06:07:54 PM »
I don't know what page its on, but after Spook pulls out his spike, Kelsier's  voice speaks in his head and tells him he's proud of him, or something. I don't remember exactly what.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2010, 07:40:06 PM »
From the banks of my memory, *ahem* "I named you. I was your friend. Wasn't that enough?"  Yeah, he said that when Leras died, Kelsier was waiting and grabbed the power.  In this way, he was able to send his messages to Spook the same way Vin later sent messages to Elend.  He mentioned that the reason Spook could hear Kelsier is because Spook actually believed in Kelsier as a God when the other crew members did not.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2010, 11:13:45 PM »
I was wondering why he referred to Kelsier having 'piggybacked' the power. I just assumed that after Leras died, the power was almost free for the taking, and Kelsier took it(potentially to keep Ruin from doing so). Why couldn't Kell take all of the power, if he could take some of it? Was it simply because the mists chose Vin?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2010, 04:33:35 AM »
I was wondering why he referred to Kelsier having 'piggybacked' the power. I just assumed that after Leras died, the power was almost free for the taking, and Kelsier took it(potentially to keep Ruin from doing so). Why couldn't Kell take all of the power, if he could take some of it? Was it simply because the mists chose Vin?

Probably because even though the power was receptive to him, he wasn't "attuned" to it, like Leras, the Lord Ruler, and Vin were.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
Plus the fact that Kelsier didn't have a body. That probably had something to do with it.

The 'attuned' to it, I think that it has some weight, but not a lot. After all, Sazed was able to take both Ruin and Preservation's shard-power. Maybe that's only because he was close to the bodies, which still had a connection to the power.

At this point all I have is theory.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »
But how could Kel knew about Ruin and Preservation?

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »
I guess because instead of continuing on to the afterlife proper, i.e. where Vin and Elend wind up, he stuck around to see how thing turned out.  Perhaps he could talk to Preservation from there.  Not that Preservation would be able to say much.  He may have even followed the other characters around, figuring stuff out with them.  He also trusted the mist, so if he figured out the connection between it and Leras, he might have just grabbed it without knowing what it was.  End Speculation.
-Peter Ahlstrom

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2010, 03:31:58 AM »
I guess because instead of continuing on to the afterlife proper, i.e. where Vin and Elend wind up, he stuck around to see how thing turned out.  Perhaps he could talk to Preservation from there.  Not that Preservation would be able to say much.  He may have even followed the other characters around, figuring stuff out with them.  He also trusted the mist, so if he figured out the connection between it and Leras, he might have just grabbed it without knowing what it was.  End Speculation.

What I find interesting is that he was able to use the power of preservation to talk to Spook only because Spook thought of him, at least partially, as divine.  Why does faith play this role in the Cosmere, do you suppose?

As for the rest of the speculation, we know that as an Allomancer, Kelsier had limited access to Preservation's power even in life.  It might be possible that that connection, along with a certain amount of faith from the Church of the Survivor, allowed him to temporarily hack into the deeper powers that Preservation had?

Ah, the world-building is tantalizing.  Any other guesses?
Nature hates being reified.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:27 AM »

What I find interesting is that he was able to use the power of preservation to talk to Spook only because Spook thought of him, at least partially, as divine.  Why does faith play this role in the Cosmere, do you suppose?

As for the rest of the speculation, we know that as an Allomancer, Kelsier had limited access to Preservation's power even in life.  It might be possible that that connection, along with a certain amount of faith from the Church of the Survivor, allowed him to temporarily hack into the deeper powers that Preservation had?

It has to do with the spiritual realm affecting te physical and mental realms.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »

It has to do with the spiritual realm affecting te physical and mental realms.

Go Realmatic Theory!
-Peter Ahlstrom

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »
So because Spook has a connection on the Spiritual Realm (he believes in him),  Kelsier has a stronger connection to him in the Cognitive Realm (he talks to him).  Right?

This explains why Vin could talk to Elend. It mentioned several times that he fundamentally trusted in her, even if she was somewhat unreasonable. 
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Aginor221

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2010, 05:27:15 AM »
Just to throw my two cents in - Elend also repeatedly described Vin as a force -almost like a god herself. He trusted in her wholeheartedly and even joined the church of the survivor. I could easily see how Vin's contact with Elend was established because of Elend's trust and belief in what Vin is. Same goes for Kel and Spook.