Author Topic: Hoid Compendium :: Spoilers  (Read 24653 times)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Hoid Compendium :: Spoilers
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2010, 04:54:11 AM »
What I wanna know is why did Vin avoid Hoid in HoA?  Does he have some kind of bad vibe that only some people can notice.
Now, I'm not sure what the Splinters are exactly, but I know that TLR and the Returned are Splinters.  Is Vin one?  Cuz that, and Hoid giving off some sort of vibe would explain something about both the nature of Hoid and the Splinters at the same time.  I don't know if this is even based on correct premises or close to be in the realm of possibility, but I  noticed something and I want it noticed, dangit!  (dern run on sentence)
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2010, 05:26:24 AM »
Brandon said TLR is a Sliver. He didn't say anything about him being a Splinter.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2010, 05:50:48 AM »
Brandon said TLR is a Sliver. He didn't say anything about him being a Splinter.
Yep, my terminology is messed up.  I could really use some definitions here.
But is Vin a Sliver, cuz she held the power of the Well, like Rashek did?  Or did he only gain that status by keeping it?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2010, 11:52:36 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  I already read it, but I had mostly forgotten that post.
So Vin technically is a Sliver.  So, maybe her leftover power let her intuitively notice something being up with Hoid, so she left him alone.  So the implied question is: what is it about Hoid that only Slivers can see?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2010, 02:21:30 AM »
So Vin technically is a Sliver.  So, maybe her leftover power let her intuitively notice something being up with Hoid, so she left him alone.  So the implied question is: what is it about Hoid that only Slivers can see?

This seems like a bit of a leap to conclusions.  It could also possibly be Ruin's influence that makes Vin wary.
Nature hates being reified.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2010, 06:45:45 AM »

This seems like a bit of a leap to conclusions.  It could also possibly be Ruin's influence that makes Vin wary.
Was Ruin present in that scene?  And that could have implications of it's own: Vin knows a trap, maybe that's why she dashed, so would Ruin recognize Hoid and use him as a way to bait a trap for Vin?  A stretch, I know, but it's an idea I like.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
I always wondered if maybe Vin would recognize him or something, but there's a few flaws in that theory...
I also wonder if being Slivers somehow ties them into the big picture. Of course, as long as they were Shards they would be majorly important, but I wonder if Slivers still hold a small amount of power,or at least will have to play a part assuming the Shards eventually all come together.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »

Was Ruin present in that scene?  And that could have implications of it's own: Vin knows a trap, maybe that's why she dashed, so would Ruin recognize Hoid and use him as a way to bait a trap for Vin?  A stretch, I know, but it's an idea I like.

I don't know about the second question, but as for the first question:  Ruin has the demonstrated ability to push on Vin's emotions even when he isn't personally present or "paying attention."  It changes the way she sees the world, makes her more destructive.  (For example, this can manifest as a voice telling her to kill everybody she sees, or driving her to find the Atium despite its general uselessness.)  Thus it's possible that Ruin's influence or way of seeing the world could leak into her response to Hoid, without Ruin showing himself.

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
A newbie's question - did Ruin or Preservation know about Hoid?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2010, 02:36:27 AM »

I highly doubt it.  Unless Hoid wants you to know about him ..... You probably don't. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2010, 03:05:02 AM »

I highly doubt it.  Unless Hoid wants you to know about him ..... You probably don't. 

Sounds like a bad Chuck Norris joke... "You don't find Hoid. Hoid finds you."

However, I'm fairly sure that Miyabi is right.
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
Hoid does seem to have a knack for being inconspicuous.  Having only read Brandon's published works (and no previews for any of the almost-published ones) I would say it is far from clear whether Ruin and Preservation don't know about Hoid, don't care about Hoid, or just can't do anything about him.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »
I don't know. I think that Ruin/Preservation are aware of Hoid. After all, wasn't it Hoid that broke the pottery with Lerasium in it? Or was that only in the Alternate Ending? Anyways, I'd want to keep track of those semi-magical, planet-hopping, refugee-leading people messing around in My Planet.

And I think that it's a logical jump to say that Vin, as a sliver, and as a Hemalurgic Seeker, would be able to feel something odd about Hoid.

Sliver in HoA- those that have had power of Preservation, then lost it (Kelsier at the very end, TLR, Vin after Well)

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »
And how exactly Kelsier ened up with Preservation's power?
I'm sorry, but I'm just after Elantris and Mistborn, with no alternative endings or stuff, so I know just some random messy basic stuff about Shards, Silver et cetera, et cetera.