Author Topic: Hoid Compendium :: Spoilers  (Read 24503 times)

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid Compendium :: Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 01:21:45 AM »
Going back to the DS stuff, I just kinda assumed that other one guy was Hoid without even really thinking about it.  He's the guy who tries to look like he's just hanging out by coincidence, but it's obvious there's more going on that he's not telling us.  The, um, other mainish type character just stands out too much, and is much too prone to snarky comments to be the Hoid we know from the Canon.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:40:12 AM by Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV »
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 02:07:04 AM »
Please don't get that specific when you're discussing things from Dragonsteel on this forum. It's not something most people can read, for a very good reason. It's too spoilerific.

In fact, I would say don't name any names from Dragonsteel that don't appear outside of Dragonsteel. Just associating names with the question of this topic will predisposition people when they actually do get the chance to read Dragonsteel.

For an extreme example, your signature has GOT to go.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:09:11 AM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 02:42:21 AM »
Yikes!  First day on the forums, and I've already incurred the wrath of Peter!  Sorry about that... I've edited the offending post and made it completely non spoilerish. 
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 05:58:30 AM »

Despite the change I agree with what it had said before.  Also, the line that was in your sig was quite humorous.  I loved that line. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 12:37:16 PM »
Yeah, the only thought that I had was, "Hey Miyabi has Dragonsteel stuff in his sig.  That's a great idea!"   :( Turns out it wasn't a very good idea at all.
-Peter Ahlstrom

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »
I love the new sig.   :D
~금강산도 식후경~

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »
Yeah, the only thought that I had was, "Hey Miyabi has Dragonsteel stuff in his sig.  That's a great idea!"   :( Turns out it wasn't a very good idea at all.

I didn't see what yours was, but I imagine if proper discretion were used, it might not be such a big deal.  However, Dragonsteel is something best left kept in the dark, for now.  The less we, or anyone not associated with Dragonsteel Entertainment, know about it, the better it will be when we get official news on it.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »

That's just cause mine's not a spoiler.  It's just a funny little line.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »
Back to Hoid...

Hoid is the one who has all the knowledge in play but who cannot (it seems), due to some sort of non-interference clause (either natural - possibly even biological - or ethical or metaphysical) directly play a role in crucial events going forward from The Shattering - in EVERY face-to-face appearance, he's SOUGHT OUT...he doesn't come actively seeking to influence events!

I've noticed that Hoid is usually sought out by characters (or at least summoned - he NEVER waltzes up to characters uninvited - it seems that he has to be invited to intervene what little he can).  Also, he usually comes at night. [Geez...I make him sound like a vampire]

Sarene enlists his aid.  He insists upon meeting her only at night.
Kelsier goes out and finds him.  This is at night, while the mists are out.
Elend goes to meet him in the camp.  This is at night - there are references to Mist and campfires.
Vin almost goes to see him but stops herself.  This is also "late at night".
Lightsong and Siri summon him during the day (they cannot leave the court of the gods though and Siri is rarely let into the court as is - and she's been closeted with her husband every night so Hoid had to change his Modus operandi). 

I have my suspicions that the only coming out at night is partly to hide what Siri notices easily but dismisses as eccentricities or marks of his station - that he's much younger than he pretends to be.

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 02:26:44 AM »
So, does he hang out waiting for the characters to ask for his help because he is powerless to help unless he is asked?  Or is he pursuing his own goals and agendas completely independent of the other characters?  If he has some sort of foresight, perhaps he can identify the important players on each world, but that seems unlikely.  Hmm... I like the idea about his only going out at night to hide his age though.  Perhaps it is to hide his apparent age, while he tries to make himself look more like how he feels he ought to look.  i.e. Really old.
-Peter Ahlstrom

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Yeah...I haven't worked out yet (not perfectly anyway) why he doesn't play a noticeable role until he's invited to do so...

I'm fairly certain that the age/image issue is a factor in his nocturnal appearances.  In fact, if not for Warbreaker, I might have chalked his nocturnal preference up to something more mysterious (which could still be a factor but doesn't NEED to be of necessity).

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2009, 07:00:31 AM »
I am certain that Hoid is/is-connected-to a Shard.  Why? Because neither Vin nor Saze saw a spaceship.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2009, 07:06:08 AM »
I am certain that Hoid is/is-connected-to a Shard.  Why? Because neither Vin nor Saze saw a spaceship.

It is confirmed that he is not a shard.

He might be connected to one though.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
This is WAY beyond my understanding so it might be complete tripe which makes no sense to the initiated (and is heavily influenced by my own strange views, too much meditation and lack of sleep) but I speculate that part of the fallout from The Shattering (obviously Adonalsium shattered and scattered - every shard with epic god-powers...that HAD to have been an epic event unleashing massive magic energies) COULD have unfastened Hoid (the witness to this event) from his former place in the cosmos - I wouldn't say that he HAS to be connected to a shard, he could simply be cursed (in a fashion).
Perhaps he's contacting our heroes in an effort to complete a series of goals with the sole intention of changing his lot.

PoBabylon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 04:10:20 AM »
I've not read all the books talked about (yet) but Brandon has said that Hoid is not just hanging around on these worlds during the events in the stories, he has his own motives and goals, and is actively pursuing them while the main characters are following their own paths.

I prefer to think that the whole night thing is merely hoid keeping up expectations. in the mistborn books, as an informant, it makes alot more sense for informants to meet under cover of night. simple as that, most shady events happen at night. it'd be out of place to meet an informant during the day...

and in Elantris, it's even said in the text that the group of people that he is acting with has been used to doing things under cover of night for a long time, sure they don't have to any more, but if they are still used to it then it makes sense that hoid wouldn't bother breaking tradition eh?

my personal thoughts on his seeming inability to act before being sought out is that Hoid isn't actually limited by any normal sense, but he's trying to keep his involvement hidden from someone/thing else that might if he were to act any more heavy handedly notice him. he's the only person(thing?) we've met(knowingly) that can jump from world to world... but that doesn't mean he's the only one that can do it..