Author Topic: I has a Steel Alphabet.  (Read 2135 times)

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
I has a Steel Alphabet.
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:13:47 AM »
As part of my graphic design class, I had to create an alternate cover for a favorite book of mine. Naturally, I picked a Sanderson book - Mistborn. The focal point of the cover, I decided, would be the new 16-metal Steel Alphabet. I also plan to create covers for WoA and HoA with the Feruchemical and Hemalurgic tables.

The fruits of my labors thus far:

The symbols themselves are created with the vector tools of Adobe Illustrator, while the image effects and overlays are a combination of my own designs and Photoshop effects. The lettering is still in progress - hopefully I'll have a clean enough version of the full cover to post within a few days.

I'm not sure if I'll be keeping that dashed line pattern - it seems... off, looking at it now.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:15:36 AM by TPaS »

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: I has a Steel Alphabet.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 05:23:10 AM »

Go down a layer before the dashed lines and copy the symbols.  Then copy them on top of the dashed lines so they aren't there.  That should make them look smoother than the rest of the metal, more like they were embossed.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:26:38 AM »
That should make them look smoother than the rest of the metal, more like they were embossed.
Yeah, they almost look like they're made from stone at the moment. Will make that change as soon as I have access to Illustrator again.

...I should have posted this in the Fan Art thread, huh. I lurk here all the time and I always forget it's there. -_-

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »
I have a few suggestions you might enjoy.. or despise. Your choice.

1) Remove the dash line thing you have going on. It doesn't really work to show metal work very well.
2) There are websites out there for stock texture photos. (http://www.cgtextures.com/) Might wanna check out some steel/metal photos for the symbols. Link the symbols to the texture layer (in photoshop) and they will have a nice metal texture to 'em. Fade out the texture some so it isn't as strong, then throw a few brush strokes over it to give it some dimension.

Just a couple suggestions, I love how crisp your vector shapes are. I for one, have always had an issue with that pesky pen tool. I'm a freehand / wacom tablet fanatic tho.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
http://www.cgtextures.com/
Ah, I was looking for something like that. My thanks.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:44:31 PM »
http://www.cgtextures.com/
Ah, I was looking for something like that. My thanks.

My pleasure. Gotta have the right tools for the job right? :)
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.