Author Topic: Way of Kings concept art  (Read 11539 times)

zarepath

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Way of Kings concept art
« on: December 12, 2009, 01:47:28 AM »
If anybody happens to go to the Sugarhouse signing tomorrow, it would be superkewl if they took pictures of Isaac's concept art.  (As long as that's not, like, against the rules.)  We, the oceanically inclined, would appreciate it and think it to be awesome.

Possible?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings concept art
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:10:53 AM »
I'll see what I can do.  I (surprisingly) will be in the area.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:33:14 AM »
I (surprisingly) will be in the area.

[/sarcasm]

Ha ha. xD

J/K

I'd like to see it too Mi'ch.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:52:25 AM »
I'm serious!  That's clear up in the SL area, and I wouldn't go up there, even for the concept art.  But since my sis has GS training, I'll be in the area anyways.

Brat.  : P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 05:57:13 AM by firstEggnogToast »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
Yay! I just read the announcement and was hoping someone would get pictures. Why did I move away from Utah?!
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
Brandon Sanderson is the my only reason that I EVER curse having turned up my nose at a job offer in SLC. 
I honestly would have hated that job...and it paid reasonably but not any better than other prospects.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:22:42 AM »
Hee hee.  I got permission to post three of the pics I saw (edit: they'll be up tomorrow.  My phone is being funny tonight.).  But good news is that he'll be posting pics himself sometime soon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:59:12 AM by firstEggnogToast »

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:29:28 AM »
But good news is that he'll be posting pics himself sometime soon.
Eeexcellent. My eyes twitch in preparation for the intake of awesome.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:22:42 PM »
Well, here's good things for you all.  I've been told to stress (both Issac and Brandon said it many times) these are very ROUGH pieces, and will/might change before they get into the book.  But for now, here's what I am able to show you.  (Sorry about the size/quality.  They were taken with my phone)

First, a map of the entire cotanent.  Keep in mind that all of this land is mostly rock (except for one piece that the pieces are safe from, but aparently that part doesn't count.)

Then, a picture of Shadsmar itself.  (The black is all water, not land.  But side by side you can really see it, huh?)

Finally, here's pieces of the writing.

A bit of info about the land.  It's sweaped by these huge, magical (yes, they are supernatrial) storms at least every other day.  So, all of the plants and stuff have a crystiline shell where they can withdraw into themselves when needed.  Grass will withdraw when you walk, so if you're running you can have the grass actually part before you.  Also, if you leave a gemstone out in the weather while a storm comes through (secured down in some way) when you go back out the gem will actually glow.  (These are apparently important).  There will be a total of 30 magic systems in the book (although, he doubts all of them will be covered.)  WoKs covers four character view points, and the second chapter is from the view point of an awesome sounding young woman who is allergic to flowers (That was a funny coversation.  He read from part of the chapter).  There are also these HUGE swords (think Cloud swords) that can be summoned and appear ten heartbeats (his example time) after the summoning and can cut through anything.  (From another coversation he said there's also these huge armors with shard pieces.  Whoever controls these controls the armies, and the fighting is over those.)  As for shard info itself, Hoid apparently will play a pretty big part (from what I can gather) and this is the middle of the shard cosomotology, but they aren't to origins of Shards and Hoid.  Palendromes are sacred words, so all the important people have names that are almost palendromes.  Also, the writing is symetrical (as you can see).

The chapter headings will each have these really cool arches that will feature up to four heads, and a symbol to give you a hint as to what the chapter is about.  Hm, I can't think of anything else right now.  I'll add more if I can think of it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:26:07 PM by firstEggnogToast »

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »

You forget that each book will tell a different characters back story.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
Ooh. Plenty for me to pick apart, here.
huge, magical (yes, they are supernatrial) storms
when you go back out the gem will actually glow
These are apparently important
I guess we know where the title Stormlight Archive came from, now.

30 magic systems
Going along with the theory that there's a magic system on a given world for every Shard present there, and a system that draws from the interaction of any two Shards, this means that the total number of Shards here is between 7 and 8...

Well, this means that theory needs revising. Maybe there are systems that draw power from more than two?

the writing is symetrical
That has to do with the mirrored nature of Roshar and Shadesmar, I think. It's also worth noting that the writings all end in points -- some, in fact, look very much like swords. The giant swords are summoned with a writing-based magic system, perhaps? God, there's too much here for me to analyze without going into total speculative fanboy mode.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 11:14:12 PM »
Oh, that reminds me: Odium.  It means hatred, and apparently is the most dangerious.  *is being vague on purpose*

the writing is symetrical
That has to do with the mirrored nature of Roshar and Shadesmar, I think. It's also worth noting that the writings all end in points -- some, in fact, look very much like swords. The giant swords are summoned with a writing-based magic system, perhaps? God, there's too much here for me to analyze without going into total speculative fanboy mode.

Actually, looking like swords was on purpose.  Issac said he found an app for his ipod touch that let him draw stuff and then it'd make the same thing on the oposite side.  So he started making things that looked like swords.  After he had enough he started to pick it appart and find similar looking lines and set those to sounds.  (I've got a pic that's a break down of the character said, but I'm not allowed to post it)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:17:49 PM by firstEggnogToast »

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:24:45 PM »
not allowed to post it
Baw. Curse you, dark god of RAFO.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:34:07 PM »
Hee hee, I know see why Peter always does what he does.  It's fun!

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »
Ook's sadistic nature is spreading. Joyous. -_-