Author Topic: Dominion. Anyone played it?  (Read 10799 times)

mccullough

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Dominion. Anyone played it?
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:17:49 AM »
My brother broke out Dominion over the Thanksgiving holiday. I didn't play at first because it looked too complicated. (Ha, and Magic isn't? :)) Anyway, the first time I played I loved it. It is a card game where decks are built, but all the cards are included in the main game.

At first I thought, okay, MTG with less cards, which it is. But I also love the diverse gameplay. The game has 25 'Kingdom' cards, but only ten are played in each iteration, making it hard to repeat the same game. The card interactions are fun, some of them matching the best combinations in Magic.

If anyone has some thoughts on the game, I would love to hear them.

Dr. Joe

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion. Anyone played it?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:35:19 AM »
Bit of a necro-post, but...

Dominion is a fantastic game, I love it.  Introduced to it at New Year's Eve last year, and we played until 7am.  Really, aside from the tedious matter of sleeving all the cards, there's nothing not to love about this game.  The two expansions (Intrigue and Seaside) are wonderful additions as well.

If you like Dominion, I would also recommend Kingsburg.  More of a classic "board game" than a card-based tabletop like Dominion, but similarly enjoyable.

clockworkfish

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Art!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:43:03 AM »
I'm one of the artists for Dominion (there are many).  I did the Adventurer card in the original, and some others include the Merchant Ship and the Treasury in Seaside.

I'm a huge fan of all kinds of games, and I think Dominion is great.  It tends to work well for new people as well as gamers.  I will say that the look of it is pretty intimidating for new people (and that's coming from one of the artists).  I think it looks a little too much like Magic: The Gathering, and may scare some people off.  I'm always convincing people it's not nearly as complicated as it looks.

Having said that, the game my wife and I can't get enough of is Race for the Galaxy.  It's my favorite card game by far.  It does have a pretty nasty learning curve though, so I tend not to introduce it to new gamers.

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:52:48 PM »
I'm one of the artists for Dominion (there are many). I did the Adventurer card in the original, and some others include the Merchant Ship and the Treasury in Seaside.

That is awesome! I love the cards. There is a lot of fun artwork.

I'm a huge fan of all kinds of games, and I think Dominion is great. It tends to work well for new people as well as gamers. I will say that the look of it is pretty intimidating for new people (and that's coming from one of the artists). I think it looks a little too much like Magic: The Gathering, and may scare some people off. I'm always convincing people it's not nearly as complicated as it looks.

I have noticed the same issue. My wife refused to play it at first. Now I can't get her to stop.  :) We converted all of her family with one holdout. Her dad. He loves all sorts of games, but refuses to try to learn. We'll try again this weekend.

Having said that, the game my wife and I can't get enough of is Race for the Galaxy. It's my favorite card game by far. It does have a pretty nasty learning curve though, so I tend not to introduce it to new gamers.

We'll have to try that one out. Thanks for the tip.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:16:48 AM »
A belated welcome to the board, Clockworkfish.

I was introduced to Dominion this holiday season.  Fell in love with it, had to have it, and now own it and 3 expansions.

One of my new favorite games.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:47:57 AM »
My brother and his wife got this game for us for Christmas.  It's all right.  My only real complaint is that there is very little interaction between the players for the basic game box.  I really like interaction too.  So, it gets a midway vote from me.  Cool cards though.  And deck builds.

But it's "fewer cards".  Not "less cards".  Sorry, I'm just a freak for that one.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.