Author Topic: My Book is Overwhelming Me  (Read 3333 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
My Book is Overwhelming Me
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »
Okay, so I think I may have made a mistake.  I am currently writing a novel (some of you have read parts of it for Reading Excuses).  It's my first try at writing anything longer than a short story.  So far I think it's going well.  I have almost the whole novel outlined and I've written the first two chapters.  The people who've read them have liked them very much and want more.

Then I went and started reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.  Seriously, I'm not even a quarter into that book, and I already feel like my book is a failure.  Don't get me wrong, I think what I've done so far is interesting, maybe on par with Mr. Abercrombie's first two chapters, but he wrote like two hundred chapters, and that's just in the first book of a three part series.   My current outline is only around thirty chapters long.

*sigh* 

It makes me want to give up.  I plan on plowing on--I really want to write this--but it's very discouraging reading something so good and holding up my pathetic attempt next to it.  Any ideas on how to add length to a story without it feeling like fluff?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:29:09 PM by Recovering_Cynic »
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: My Book is Overwhelming Me
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »
Dont be concerned about length. Just write the book. It will be as long as it needs to be. If you have 30 chapters, and they are each 3-4K in length (pretty standard), then your book will be 90-120K long. Guess what? That's a perfect length for a first novel. Most places want that length in novels anyway; they are cheaper to publish.

Also, I'm pretty sure Abercrombie's first novel (his shortest) doesn't have 200 chapters.

You have an outline. Follow it. Stop worrying about what other authors are doing and get writing.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:35:15 PM »
I second Bookstore Guy. Don't worry about how long it's gonna be. You're not inherently wrong if you write a shorter book--in fact, in terms of being able to sell (especially for a debut author) shorter is probably better. But don't worry about that, either. Your first draft will be however long it ends up. When you revise, you can revise to the length that your story needs to be: Shorter books might be easier to sell right now, but a book that's artificially long or short probably won't do you much good.

But just write the thing. For a first novel, nothing is as important as just getting it out on paper.

Put it this way: If a lazykins like me can finish one, so can you. :)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
Thanks guys.  I really needed the kick in the pants.  Now if only I had one long, uninterrupted week to write...  I could have most of it done.
~T.S. Eliot

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:39:10 PM »
yup, just tune out what other authors do. work at your own pace (within reason), and make sure you tell the story you want to tell. if you have a completed outline, you know what you need to write. Silk is completely right. I've heard several editors say that a short first novel is what they prefer. no more than 120K.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Stormcryst

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:22:55 AM »
Don't fall into the trap of comparing your rough draft with a published book. If you are going to do that at least put a positive spin on it. If you are feeling good about your first two chapters imagine what it will look like after revision.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 03:52:24 AM »
It was more scope than anything else that was depressing me.  My first two chapters are good.  What I was worried about was being that good for that long.  I've gotten over it.

And now, back to writing :)
~T.S. Eliot

Bravesamwise84

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 08:34:36 AM »
I'd just like to say that seriously, what I've seen so far is good. I hope you finish the novel, man. God's speed to you in finishing your first rough draft, full-novel version. It will be a major milestone in your writing career!

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »
Forget Abercrombie! He's just a guy like you. The only difference is that he got feedback just like you're doing, finished his novel, and found someone that wanted to sell it. You can do that too. You've just gotta believe in yourself, stick to your plan, and things will be just fine.

Note: I'm terrible at following my own advice, so when I post something similar down the road, please refer me to this reply. Thank you and goodnight.
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

traven

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »
I felt the same way after I finished "The Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson, Cynic. After reading the final chapter I stopped writing for two weeks because I was absolutely certain I could never match an ending as good as the one Sanderson wrote.

So during those two weeks I picked up "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss and got my mojo back. I'd never tried writing 1st person before and I was sure I could write something nearly as good as what Rothfuss had done in his first book. 60 pages of 1st person writing has been more difficult than I thought, but I think the book is good and it has me mildly excited about finishing it, even if it never sees its way onto a bookshelf.

Now I'm plowing forward and feeling much better about my future prospects... even after reading a few more Sanderson books. I'm trying to use them as tools for learning instead of freaking out about someone who has more experience than I do.

basujanha2610

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
hey!

don't worry man!

take time! this would be better!