Author Topic: Character's representations in The Gathering Storm (WoT)...spoilers  (Read 4892 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Character's representations in The Gathering Storm (WoT)...spoilers
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 05:44:35 AM »
I thought Mordeth feared the attention of the DO too much to take Fain's body....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 06:17:23 AM »
No, I remember it being explicitly stated somewhere that Mordeth tried to take over Fain but ended up merging due to what the Dark One did to him, and all of Fain's POV scenes back that up.  I think Moiraine says something about it after interrogating him in EotW or TGH.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:21:45 AM by douglas »

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
No, I remember it being explicitly stated somewhere that Mordeth tried to take over Fain but ended up merging due to what the Dark One did to him, and all of Fain's POV scenes back that up.  I think Moiraine says something about it after interrogating him in EotW or TGH.

IIRC, it's at the end of The Great Hunt where Moiraine somehow knows or thinks this is what happens.  However, Fain's POV's pretty much confirm that the merging of the two is exactly what happened.  I would say, generally, that part of Mordeth and part of Fain and part of the Dark Ones hound have all survived, and have created a single, coherent agenda from the mess.
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
I thought he was twisted by Mordeth but Mordeth was too appalled by the DO's touch to actually take him, but i give.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 12:45:43 AM »
I thought he was twisted by Mordeth but Mordeth was too appalled by the DO's touch to actually take him, but i give.

This isn't a fight.  We can use evidence.  Fain remembers things, for instance, from ancient history, things that only Mordeth would have known.  Merging explains this better than anything else I know.
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:25 AM »
An argument is never a fight an argument only occurs between people who can admit that they are wrong.... meaning religous and political debates are gennerally not arguments but rather fights... i watched a lecture series about the art of argumentation (and i give b/c you have evidence and it's been a while since i read the first few books)

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
From Dayton, Ohio Storm Leader report
Q: Will Fain be in the next book?

A: Padan Fain will be seen again.  He’s a mixture of two things – Mordeth’s power, which he got by seeking out all of the evil things that weren’t related to the Shadow, and the Dark One’s Hound.  Brandon said that Fain’s number one goal is to kill Rand, and a close second is to kill the Dark One.  Now that Shadar Logoth has been destroyed, all of the Mordeth power that remains in the world is in Fain.

Sounds like a merge.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 05:34:04 PM »
I thought Rand was avoiding Min and Min let him b/c she was scared that her precense hurt him... i got the impression Rand was the instigator not Min.

This was the same scenario after Dumai Wells, but in this case she let him wall up rather than stopping him or trying to get him to open up again. That is my main problem with the scenario. It seemed out of character for her

The difference between Dumai Wells and what happened with Semi is that Rand directly hurt her. She knows it wasn't him and that he fought it ever step of the way however it was still traumatizing. Besides she seemed pretty fixated with Herid Fel's books and theories, which was something that developed shortly after his death. She like Avi wants to prove herself useful, as the scene with Semi finally drove home. Min can be great with knives all she wants but when it comes to channelers she might as well not even be there. She did more harm then good and that again is another difference between Dumai Wells and the choking scene.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.