Author Topic: Plot Analysis Questions  (Read 1324 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Plot Analysis Questions
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:05 PM »
Alright, this is my thinking out loud (figuratively speaking), so input is not expected, but would be appreciated if you have something to contribute.

Recently I have been reading up on Dan Well's blog at http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/?p=314#comments, and he has been discussing a seven segmented plot analysis.  His system works really well, and I will briefly summarize the seven segments here:

1) Hook
 The portion that captures a reader's interest in the character/story

2) Plot Turn #1
The portion that begins generating movement toward the midpoint and away from status quo of the Hook

3) Pinch #1
Really bad crap happens.

4) Midpoint
The story gets turned on its head/character goes from being acted upon to take on proactive role

5) Pinch #2
Now the story looks *really* hopeless

6) Plot Turn #2
Main character learns/obtains last vital thing to resolve main conflict

7) Resolution
Main conflict is resolved.

The above listed story structure works very well for the hero's journey (as Dan points out very well).  However, I've been having some trouble adapting it to a revenge plot, specifically, *my* revenge plot.  Do any of you have input on how a generic revenge plot might fit the above listed outline?  I'm going to give a stab at it right now, and any feedback on the following would be really appreciated.  I'm going to try to use The Count of Monte Cristo (movie version) as a template, so correct me if I am wrong in my analysis.

1) Hook
Edmund is living his life; there is conflict, but things are going well.  He is moving up in the world.
Generic: Character is living his life, things are going okay

2) Plot Turn #1
Edmund is betrayed by his best friend. 
Generic: Something devastating and personal happens and it is someone else's fault;

3) Pinch #1
Edmund is sent to Chateau Dif where he is tortured and left for years
Generic: Main character suffers greatly due to what happened to them.

4) Midpoint
Edmund meets the priest who helps Edmund realize the true depth of his betrayal; Edmund decides to seek revenge if he escapes
Generic: Story/Character changes and gains direction; Revenge is now the goal.

5) Pinch #2
Priest dies, and Edmund escapes and finds that everything he ever loved has been destroyed
Generic: Character hits rock bottom.

6) Plot Turn #2
Edmund has his betrayers completely within his grasp, ready to be destroyed, but finds out that the woman he loved did not betray him after all.
Generic: Revenge plot comes completely to fruition.

7) Resolution
Edmund executes his revenge, but spares the woman he loves.
Revenge is exacted and loose ends tied up.

Alright, after writing that out, I think I got most of it right (any corrections would be appreciated).  That being said, here is a generic revenge plot summary:

1) Character is living his life, things are going okay.
2) Something devastating and personal happens and it is someone else's fault.
3) Main character suffers greatly due to what happened.
4) Story/Character changes and gains direction; revenge is now the goal.
5) Character hits rock bottom/suffers while going about setting up the revenge.
6) Revenge plot comes completely to fruition.
7) Revenge is exacted and loose ends tied up.

Any alterations?  Comments?
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Re: Plot Analysis Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
Okay, now that I've done the above analysis, I've realized why my story is having trouble fitting into the seven segment plot pattern.

It isn't a revenge plot.  Well, it is, but it isn't.  It's a hybrid, so to speak.  Following the generic outline above, here is how my story now stands.

1. Character lives normal life.
2. Something devastating happens.
3. (Part where character suffers is only related in flashbacks)
4. (Part where character decides on revenge is only related in flashbacks)
5. Character fails in revenge and earlier suffering is compounded.
6. Character redeems himself and decides not to exact revenge.
7. Character hits rock bottom for internal and external reasons.
8. Character discovers what has really been going on.
9. Character resolves the conflict.

Hum... Does this mean I'm following the hero's journey without meaning to?  Stupid hero's journey sneaking up on me like that...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:50:19 PM by Recovering_Cynic »
~T.S. Eliot

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »
Alright, here we go again.  I found another problem.  In a revenge plot, part of the reason you need to see suffering (see crossed out number 3) is so that you can still feel some measure of sympathy with your character while he does all the horrible things leading up to the revenge.

In my case, the suffering will be told via flashback... so... that's a problem.  My character is going to be running around wreaking havoc in a very not-likable way without some of the background knowledge to justify it.  Now what do I do about that...
~T.S. Eliot

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
Ah jeez.  This is hopeless.   ???
~T.S. Eliot

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:20:20 PM »
Uhh... you're talking to yourself again. ;)

See, I don't think that you have a problem with following the hero's journey. The Star Trek guidelines are general narrative structure for a three act story. I think. Let's get some experts in here.

EXPERTS!!!
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:45:41 PM »
Well, I may have figured some of it out.  I think one of my problems was that it was taking way too long to get from my Plot Turn #1 to my Pinch #1.  Also, it turned out that the way I had the transition plotted out wasn't working.  Hence the reason for this entire post.

Basically, I needed to get from point A to point B, but from the way I had written my plot, getting there was darn near impossible (without making my main character a blathering idiot and ruining his character).  However, I think I may have found a way.  :)

The only sad part is, I'm sure I'll run into similar problems again, say when I try to move from point D to point E, but we'll save that battle for later.

*sigh*

~T.S. Eliot

Bravesamwise84

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »
I'm a big fan of that blog, because it helped me in outlining a story which I'd been having trouble with. However, I see it just as equally applicable to revenge plots as hero's journey plots. Plot Turns are to link the hook with the Midpoint, or the Midpoint with the Resolution. In other words, they are the action required before the next point could ever have happened.

While Conflict is evident throughout, the pinch's job is to make that conflict come to a point. For example, my car may be acting up, but the pinch in my story comes when I'm late to work and it finally gives out.

I love this blog of Dan's, it helped me see several points in my story where I was lingering too long on boring parts.