Author Topic: Who signed Robert Jordan's name of the Gathering Storm from Sam Wellers?  (Read 14416 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Who signed Robert Jordan's name of the Gathering Storm from Sam Wellers?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 05:46:18 AM »
I wondered how someone would play that... nice one Ryos!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »
Poor Deth is never going to post again...
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Necronoman

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »
I don't know if anyones heard yet or knows anything about this but I've just seen in a well known London sci-fi store actual signed copies of the gathering storm by Robert Jordan. The books aren't actually signed themselves but they have a signed card from orbit books stuck on the page before the printed signiture. It looks like orbit must had some cards left over from a previous signing or Mr Jordan signed some in advanced before he unfortunately past away. Anyone know anything about them?     
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn...

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 05:36:56 AM »
I recently saw a copy of Path of Daggers with the same Robert Jordan signature.  I was wondering if it was real or fake, because I thought these printed signatures only started with a Gathering Storm!

I don't know if anyones heard yet or knows anything about this but I've just seen in a well known London sci-fi store actual signed copies of the gathering storm by Robert Jordan. The books aren't actually signed themselves but they have a signed card from orbit books stuck on the page before the printed signiture. It looks like orbit must had some cards left over from a previous signing or Mr Jordan signed some in advanced before he unfortunately past away. Anyone know anything about them?     

Man, I would have loved to get me one of those copies.  I really want a Robert Jordan bookplate.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:57 AM »
The printed signatures did start with TGS.  Anything printed prior to that with a signature is genuine or a really good forgery.  Since I haven't heard of anyone forging his signature, chances are good that it's genuine.  Most of my signed WoT books I acquired after his death so they are still circulating.

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
I'll have to go back to the store and look at it more closely.  There was really bad lighting in the section I was in, but the signature did not look like any kind of ink I ever saw out of a pen.  It was dark grey like the one you see on TGS, and there wasn't any kind of impression on the other side of the page, which would be normal when you press down to sign something on a piece of paper.   For the record I don't think it's a forgery, since the book wasn't being sold as a collector's item, but just as any other used book.  At the same time I don't know what to make of the signature. 

P.S. I've since examined my own copy of TGS and noticed that the signature has jagged edges on it.  I'll compare my discovery with what I saw at the store, but I'm still skeptical of any signature written in dark grey ink. 

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Ink can fade over time depending on what kind of ink it is.

If you really want to tell, bring a magnifying glass. Look at your TGS and you will see dots. That's the jaggedness.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
Yes, I suppose it makes sense to bring a magnifying glass with me.   Hopefully it'll still be there when I get back.  I don't expect it to sell, but you never know.  Thanks for the idea; I did use it on TGS and I saw the dots.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:59:56 PM by Moggle »