Author Topic: The folio society  (Read 2810 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
The folio society
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »
http://www.foliosociety.com/

So I had never heard of them before, but apparently they specialize in printing books with fancy, ornate bindings. They are currently offering the entire harry potter series box set for 20 bucks. The catch is you have to purchase 4 books from them after that, 2 within 4 weeks, and 2 within like 6 months. You also have to purchase 4 books a year to retain membership.

My question is this, first off, anyone else hear of them? and second off, is it worth it (if you buy from them)? You can't browse their catalogue unless you are a member, but they have some samples, but not too many. I mostly read sci-fi/fantasy, and i see the hobbit in there, and they have harry potter books, so I'm assuming that's some decent signs they will have books i enjoy. I don't mind paying the occasional high price for a fancy copy of a book i want, though I usually don't do 4 a year, but if i purchase from them, and they have books I like, this shouldn't be too big an issue.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: The folio society
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »
Darn you now I want to know!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:26:17 PM »
Darn you now I want to know!!!

You're welcome, kazzy ol' buddeh!!

though if i dont get any negative press about em before this deal ends, i'll probably go through with it. If nothing, i end up with all 7 harry potter books cheap, and 4 expensive books i didnt really want. I'll let you guys know what I find if i end up doing it!
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
The membership aspects make me suspicious. It sounds like one of those music/movie clubs that try very hard to trick you into paying for things you don't want.

Also, looking closely at the picture, the Harry Potter set is just the regular hardbacks in a stupid box. Meh.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
The membership aspects make me suspicious. It sounds like one of those music/movie clubs that try very hard to trick you into paying for things you don't want.

Also, looking closely at the picture, the Harry Potter set is just the regular hardbacks in a stupid box. Meh.

yeah, the harry potter books look like the regular ones, but for 20 bucks, that ain't a bad deal (especially since i dont have any). I'm just wondering if their OTHER books are worth it, because to me this seems like a pretty good deal, as well as an excuse to buy some fancy books.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 05:15:01 AM »
Ouch!  These books are expensive!  Their normal stuff (which isn't all that fancy looking)  is $40-70.  The limited edition stuff is hundreds of dollars!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »
Ouch!  These books are expensive!  Their normal stuff (which isn't all that fancy looking)  is $40-70.  The limited edition stuff is hundreds of dollars!

Yeah, i noticed that. Mainly the reason why i'm asking if others think it worth it or not, since i dont know the quality of their work personally. I'm not above spending 30-50 a book, but above that it gets too pricey for me.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:47:22 AM »
As far as I can tell, their entire collection is on their website.

Here's the thing, though, what are you looking for?  Most of the books they sell are in the public domain.  You could republish them yourself on lulu.com for like $18 hardcover (though you'd be limited to artwork in the public domain and no fancy embossing).

You can buy leather-bound versions of the complete works of shakespeare for like $20.  So... for a public domain book, I wouldn't pay these prices.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »

Here's the thing, though, what are you looking for?  Most of the books they sell are in the public domain.  You could republish them yourself on lulu.com for like $18 hardcover (though you'd be limited to artwork in the public domain and no fancy embossing).

You can buy leather-bound versions of the complete works of shakespeare for like $20.  So... for a public domain book, I wouldn't pay these prices.

oh? from what i can tell, there's a members section that you cant see unless you have a membership (if you look in their help section, it says there's supposed to be a books tab when you're logged in, or something along those lines.)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
thats why you learn to hack!!!! duh!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »

oh? from what i can tell, there's a members section that you cant see unless you have a membership (if you look in their help section, it says there's supposed to be a books tab when you're logged in, or something along those lines.)

Some of the books on their site say "members only".