Author Topic: Fan Fiction: Good or Evil  (Read 13493 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Fiction: Good or Evil
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
I'm very this or that when it comes to Fanfics.  If the author does a good job of preserving the world in which the story takes place and creates a plausible story within that realm, then I like it.  If they go and make their own knew set of rules and change a ton of stuff then it annoys me to all levels of hell.

So to me it depends on the fanfic/author.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
Well whatever…but if the writing is crap then they should be imprisoned for life.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2009, 08:37:47 PM »
I never understood Fan-fics. If you are a truly talented writer, do your own stuff. If you are hell-bent on writing in someone's already-created world, then do writing-for-hire jobs with Wizards of the Coast, Black Library, Star Wars/Trek, etc where you can actually get paid for it and get your name out there.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:16 PM »
I never understood Fan-fics. If you are a truly talented writer, do your own stuff. If you are hell-bent on writing in someone's already-created world, then do writing-for-hire jobs with Wizards of the Coast, Black Library, Star Wars/Trek, etc where you can actually get paid for it and get your name out there.
LOL.  I didn't even think about it until you just said that.  I really love a lot of the Star Wars books.  In truth basically all of them are not more than well thought out fan fics.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
LOL.  I didn't even think about it until you just said that.  I really love a lot of the Star Wars books.  In truth basically all of them are not more than well thought out fan fics.

And you get PAID to do it. And you get a writing credit. Seriously, if you are gonna do it, do it in a professional way.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2009, 09:10:33 PM »
Personally, I have no interest in fanfiction, either in reading or writing it. There's plenty to read that's already on the shelves (and has already passed QA, so to speak); and as a writer, I'd rather be getting stuff done.

Fanfiction as a "thing", however, I don't really see as good or bad; it's just something that's not for everybody.

I think it's an exaggeration to say that fanfic is "vital" or "essential" part of learning to write. (At least, I should hope so; I've never written any.)  But I also think it's incorrect to say that it won't teach you how to write, or how to show characterization, or to world-build.

Sure, you may be using someone else's world or characters, but showing characterization and world building and stuff like that is about execution at least as much as it is about actual invention. (More, even, but that's an argument for another time.) You can still learn to show world-building and characterization while writing someone else's characters and someone else's world. And you can learn other valuable things, such as story construction and even just how to write prose.

So yeah, if one's doing it as a way to hone one's writing craft, I think it's a viable approach, even if it's not stuff you can publish.

And not all people who write fanfiction are doing it with that in mind. They're doing it because they enjoy writing, or enjoy the world, or both. They're not necessarily looking to get paid or published. And that's fine.

But yeah, if I were going to write fanfiction, I'd totally be trying to get on board with Wizards. XP

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
I haven't read this whole thread since I posted on the first page, but here's what else I have to say about fan fiction:

I had "coffee" with Kevin J. Anderson once (he drank coffee, Brandon and I snacked on M&Ms), and I asked him what had been more fulfilling for him -- writing in persistent worlds like Star Wars or Dune, or writing his original material. He half dodged the question, but I had carefully crafted it to be nonjudgemental and not an issue of talent. The half of the answer that wasn't dodging basically said that he had enjoyed doing both.

Look, if you want to write professionally, I agree with bookstore guy. Either do original stuff or write for someone so you get paid.

But some people who write, just like some musicians, just do it as a hobby and never want to be pro. I say let 'em write what they want. they're only doing it to enjoy themselves.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
this reminds me of the time I was invited to a writing group where one of the people only wanted to write fan-fiction. said he only wanted to write in other people's worlds, but that he didn't think he wanted to get published. i didn't go to that writing group.

PW

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 01:35:50 AM »
I prefer to read the books that interest me and write my own stories.  If I liked a book enough to write fanfic, I would probably just read it again.  But that's me.

clarissavandell

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »
Most fan fics that I've read are at least halfway decent.

But that's because the majority are crap in the first paragraph, and I think "I'm NOT going any further with this."

So, yes.  Even though it's redundant, a select few fanfictions are good; the majority are drivel.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »
Fan humor is good the rest is mucho baddo!!! (and i got that expression from a hispanic!)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz