Author Topic: The Gathering Storm - First Impressions *SPOILERS*  (Read 55620 times)

Argent

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
Re: The Gathering Storm - First Impressions *SPOILERS*
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2009, 04:10:44 AM »
I stand corrected. But I never claimed all of their actions disappear from the Pattern.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2009, 04:47:11 AM »
Sorry, the "utterly" and "completely" confused me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2009, 05:25:23 AM »
He didn't add anyone to that belief all of them believe that we know otherwise from outside sources... and those of us who don't view them see it like the characters do....else you wouldn't have had Argent Sun make the statement he made. Not too mention Nyneave's views toward Moraine have slowly been changing since her "death"... it's slow almost subtle but the process has been going on for half the series...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2009, 05:29:15 AM »
I don't, or didn't, follow the outside stuff until KoD came out, and I never thought of Balefire as making it so the Wheel couldn't spin you back out again.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »
Rand AND Moraine claim that balefire burns their thread out of the pattern...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »
What page was it that Nynaeve "misunderstood balefire"?  I don't remember it.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »
After Rand destroys the castle Grendel's at

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:46 AM »
First Impressions.

Well...mostly frustration.

For me, the breaks between Brandon's writing and Jordan's writing were obvious.

Brandon needs to spend more time on the next two books.  He needs to spend time on getting Mat's chapters right and also in getting the "important" chapters right.  i.e. -- the ones where really important stuff happens.  Like when Rand uses the True Power.  And when he talks to Tam.  And when he's on top of Dragonmount.  They just didn't have it.  I'm sorry, but they didn't.

In the end, I'm glad that it's finally out, that it came fast, and that we can get the story.

I just really hope that Brandon can spend more time on the next two books (and not have to rush so that Way of Kings can come out on time.  Really, I don't understand why Tor is pushing him to do that one right now.  Grumble, grumble...) and get the important stuff right.  Please. 

Please.

This deserves everything.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Janni

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
Finished today at 3:00 AM. It was worth it.

I felt that Brandon got every character almost exactly right, except Mat. Mat, I wanted to strangle. He was too goofy for me. It's like Brandon took Mat's character and pushed him just a little too far down the "Mischevious Trickster" Path. Mat is a Mischevious Trickster, but he seemed to be trying to be funny all the time. What's funny about Mat isn't the way he talks, although he does sometimes say some clever things, but rather the circumstances he's in and the way he reacts to them. I felt like Mat was trying to be funny too much, and as a result he came across as a different character to me. I didn't like him. The Legends scene in particular didn't fit. His reaction to Mandevwin (I think that's his name) thinking (or pretending to, at least) that he actually had a great aunt he was staying with were intended to show how he thought that Mandevwin was an idiot. But Mat wouldn't have said that, he would have been exasperated and thought about how Mandevwin was an idiot, but when he responds by saying "You don't have a great aunt!," it looks like Mandevwin is clever and Mat's an idiot. That's what really threw me. Mat seems to be less clever because he sounds like he's trying too hard.

By the way, I'm kind of making this up as I go along, so I'm only now realizing just what it was about Mat's character that annoyed me.

Also, saidared? Really? I about cried.

There were just a few other words that were really jarring to me. For whatever reason, whenever a character said, "Bloody Ashes," I mentally went, "What? That should read 'Blood and Ashes!' Hmmm...."

I realize this sounds really critical. It's me ranting because I need to rant about Mat's character. And kind of in the hope that it gets back to Brandon that Mat is just a little over-the-top so that he isn't as much so in the next one. But I liked the book quite a bit more than it sounds like I do. In fact, it was one of the best WoT books so far. The pacing was much better in my opinion, and since we seem to be reaching the end, that's a good thing. Most of the character's reactions were very real, and I thought Brandon did a good job of juggling the various cultures.

Honestly, with the number of characters that there are in this series, it's a miracle that there weren't more characters that I felt were off. As is, I really appreciate Brandon's skill. He was the right choice to finish the series.

I was going to write about my opinion on TGS, but this comment made it unnecessary, it says it all.

To me, Brandon Sanderson made a wonderful job, really. Except for Mat. And as I read threads on the net I see that I am far from the only one thinking so. I think there IS substance to this belief, and I hope that Mr Sanderson takes some time to think about it.

One other thing that bugged me was the characters general "understanding thinking" about themselves and their nature.  One of the series general topics have been Rand's, Egwene's, Nynaeve's and the others good insight in their friends needs and nature, and the same time their failure to see their owns (Like it usually is in real life..). But this is however probably  due to Sanderson's own writing style, and I think it is ok for him to leave some marks in the writing that it is he who is finishing this amazing series.

So a last message to Mr Sanderson (In case you have the time or interest to read it):
Thank you for a great achievement with the first of the last books! It is NOT an easy task you have, and you should feel great pride to what you have achieved so far.
 But please, please take a moment to think about how you adressed Mat's character. I know I 'm in no way some judge whose words should be followed, but I also know that you are a very skilled writer who care for both yours and Mr Jordans fans.
Enough butter eh?

All the best!

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »
You people are really making me feel like an inferior fan for liking Mat in this book... I'll have to go back, re-read it more carefully and see what throws you off.

It is probably the fact that I've read books 1-10 in a different language, so I don't have a feeling how Mat sounds in English...
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »

Also, saidared? Really? I about cried.

There were just a few other words that were really jarring to me. For whatever reason, whenever a character said, "Bloody Ashes," I mentally went, "What? That should read 'Blood and Ashes!' Hmmm...."

Ok, so saidared seemed wrong to me, but it was still funny.  However, it took me out of the scene.

On the other hand, I saw nothing wrong with "Bloody ashes".  We've seen characters say "Blood and ashes," we've seen characters say "Blood and bloody ashes" and unless I'm mistaken, we've seen "ashes" alone used as a curse... so why not "bloody ashes?"
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »
Dear,
WriterDan

What the heck are you talking about?  Veins of Gold is one of the best things I have ever read. The talk with Tam and the confrontation with Semi were also, I feel, excellently done.

Yours,
Aranfan

Squeakle

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
I put Mat's change in behaviour down to (and it has been devolping in recent books, just not as stark) his use of cynical sort of humour to deal with the world as it gets more troubling (which it is). I liked Mat in this book, and couldn't give a monkeys if this makes me an 'inferior fan' as ArgentSun put it.

And as for "saidared"... of course it's not part of the usual lexicon of WoT, but Mat has always been different. I think many people seem to think he was seriously using the word 'saidared', but it was just a joke on his part.

I didn't find that it took me out of the book at all.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2009, 12:26:30 AM »
I want to know how he tried to be funny? He was to damned worried to care about humor!!!

John UK

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2009, 12:33:07 AM »
I read the Mistborn series and Elantris prior to 'the Gathering storm' and I must admit I became a fan before the release.
Brandon, in my mind, was definitely the right choice to complete RJ's work and I have to say that I wasn't disappointed with the book. One of the best in the series in my opinion.
I received my signed copy from Sam Wellers the other day and promptly emailed Brandon to enquire why he scribbled his name out...He wrote back and told me that his sig needs some work.....! :D
Ahem. :-[
Apologies Brandon.

Can't wait for the next release now but I agree that Mat needs some work for the next book to pull his character's continuity back in line. That's the only nit picking I'm doing though.