Author Topic: 42's Therapy Thread  (Read 23978 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: 42's Therapy Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2004, 07:24:55 PM »
well, let's reconcile both sides here.
No one's claiming that everyone is giving 110% all the time. But ideally you are able to give strength when the other needs it.
But it doesn't always work that way. finding a "perfect match" is nearly impossible, and often you'll both be down at the same time (it's different with friends when you have a pool of them, at least one can be having a good day at any given time) and probably one will be doing more supporting than the other.

Interestingly, Pres. Faust spoke about my original point in World Leadership Meeting this afternoon. He said marriage requires maturity and responsibility. This BEFORE you get married. He also pretty boldly said that marriage isn't for the husband or wife in the way 42 implies his therapists have said. They aren't to make you better or anything like that. They're for raising a family.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2004, 10:22:36 PM »
Will they put that up somewhere on LDS.org or something? I'd be interested in reading it. And Saint, thanks for that--that's a good way to put it. Point well taken about friends.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »
I would assume so. They're going to be distributing the text to the leaders. Unfortunately, I didn't write the exact quote down, although I did take notes.

One quote worth passing on (and this one is word for word): "Don't magnify the work to be done. Simplify it." - Elder Scott.

You know that one was cool because my mom and I started writing at the exact same time.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2004, 02:48:59 PM »
That is a good quote.

Here's something interesting that kind of relates:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/01/10/life.stress.reut/index.html
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2004, 03:42:32 PM »
whats funny is that that should be a no brainer.
Its not like when you get married suddenly a little switch clicks on and all your problems go away, quite the contrary they get bigger. Some relationships work when one spouse leans on the other for all their emotional support...at least  for a while untill after the 8000th time of dealing the same problems and not getting any support from the emotionally crippled side of the relationship. Then they freak and fight and possibly end up resenting the other person. Of couse they could just push that aside and store it deep down.. but (and im being very sarcastic) I dont know anyone who would do that...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2004, 09:25:49 PM »
Well, you'd think it would be a no brainer, but there is a large aspect of our society that thinks there are solutions to emotional problems, and those solutions involve relationships. This is in our subconscious, and it's not silly or stupid to think it. I wouldn't call it a "no brainer" because of this.

Unless you're a therapist and it's your job to know better.

But let's complicate the issue. We've been talking about how there are new and bigger problems that come with marriage. But married people (statistically) tend to live longer and be more healthy. I believe studies show that married people on the whole suffer less from distress. So there IS soemthing that makes life easier if you're firmly committed to a marriage. Probably it has something to do with knowing there IS someone who care and values you and having something reliable in your life. Knowing that you're not alone and so forth.
Just dont' look at it as a quick fix to anything.

edit: just want to add to my thoughts on that last one. i'm not ruling out that it's the marriage relationship itself that causes the reduced stress and better health, but you also shouldn't say that the type of person capable and willing of entering into a committed marriage is what causes the benefits. I think that there's a combination of the two. Being that type of person and also being in the dependable relationship.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2004, 09:48:21 PM »
Id like to know just what type of therapist told 42 that cause none of mine have ever advocated complicating my life just to make it better....
remember wider is better...
Seriously though my therepist told me to wait and really think about getting married.

So I did.

But I can see why a married person might live longer... its a persons way to get revenge agianst the one they love... Its a race :) The one who lives longest wins!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2004, 01:54:20 AM »
See, in Utah there is a cultural attitude among the women here that marriage is the solution to many of lifes problems. Course, many women in Utah will deny that if you ask them, but their actions speak louder. And it has been the women therapist that think I need to get married. Utahns are also marriage happy as a whole. For example, a standard joke is that those attending BYU in Provo receive a tuition refund if they graduate unmarried.

There is also kind of an attitude that people who can't get married before 25 are somehow defective. There is some sympathy for women who can't get married, but very little for men.

So as I've been looking through some of my therapy notes I found a quote from one of my therapist that I'm still trying to figure out.
We are not our behavior.

It's short, but confusing. I think my therapist was implying that people are made of many factors besides just behavior or performance. Any other ideas?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2004, 02:06:07 AM »
There is also kind of an attitude that people who can't get married before 25 are somehow defective. There is some sympathy for women who can't get married, but very little for men.

Yes, so very true.  Although women being women, there is a lot of surface sympathy for single women over 25, there is also the smugness and hidden spite that women are so good at.  "I'm married and you're not, so I must be better than you."

To men: "You're not married? You're not trying.  If you were doing things right you'd be married.  

To women: "You're not married? Oh dear, there must be something wrong with you that make men not want you. What about that nice fellow you were dating 6 months ago?  What? He was an alcoholic?  Well you should have snatched him up and changed his ways.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2004, 07:40:09 AM »
see, I don't think that behavior is a Utah behavior. I think it's embedded in western culture. 'course, Utah magnifies it....

anyway, let's talk about not being our behavior. I think you have desires and impulses. sometimes physical conditions influence your behavior. You do things you hadn't necessarily planned on or wanted to do. What that statement means is that when these times occurs, and you do something you don't like, it doesn't mean that the behavior defines you.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2004, 08:59:53 AM »
Boy, the more you guys talk about Utah, the more intrigueing it sounds. No wonder Fallout 3 was going to be set there
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2004, 09:08:44 AM »
Heh.  It's an amusing place.  Imagine a world where everyone generally comes from a fundamentalist Christian background, and who are all trying to prove that they can be as mainstream and normal as the rest of the world while holding fast to their traditional values.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2004, 09:27:37 AM »
plus, (and apparently this was a big deal in my MTC district), they count the number of antler points on deer differently than the Eastern US.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2004, 09:27:44 AM »
Sounds like the sort of place a horror movie gets set.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2004, 12:03:33 PM »
Well, yes.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan