Author Topic: Must be my lucky day  (Read 7232 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Must be my lucky day
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2004, 08:29:09 PM »
   Well you were right, I just thought that you meant a new company could, without any other phones on the market, make that work.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2004, 08:39:01 PM »
well, if there are no other phones on the market, then yes, cheap phones'd be a great way to get a lot of customers right away.

Even without brand name recognition it's doable. Consumers are much more educated than they used to be, and will look into things. Not all of them, but enough to make it worth it.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2004, 08:44:36 PM »
    I guess it goes back to JPs comment on marketing, if you got a good review in say, Consumer Report, or Popular Mechanics, then sure. It's possible, I dont know about probable.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2004, 08:49:45 PM »
This topic is boring :'(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2004, 08:51:28 PM »
I want to know what kind of cellphone Cthulhu would use.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2004, 08:57:01 PM »
   Create a better one then Entropy, I just created this one to blow off some steam and because everyone else was talking about Worldcon, which I could not intelligently comment on.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2004, 05:28:26 AM »
He doesn't. He would just warp your cellphone so it started eating your ear.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2004, 12:30:34 PM »
I think that the overuse of cellphones -- too much 'connectedness' actually disconnects us from face-to-face contact.  

This amuses me coming from someone who communicates via a message board.  

Not that I disagree.  Not that I should talk.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2004, 01:00:20 PM »
I find I use my cell phone most to plan face-to-face contact. "When are we meeting again?" "What are we up to tonight?" "Okay, I'm at the Common, where are you?" That sort of thing.

Plus, I wouldn't have face-to-face contact with most of the people I talk to on it for long periods of time--they're family and old roommates who I can only afford to see once a year or so, if that, and I take advantage of the free long distance to be able to talk to them more often than I'd otherwise be able to.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 01:01:57 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2004, 06:00:23 AM »
My mom and dad always have their cell phones turned on. Believe it or not, they got cell phones before any of us kids did.

I had one when I was in Japan and found it useful, so I got one when I came home. I use it instead of...a wristwatch. Oh and I call family members (in all different states) on the weekend.

And my parents are anything but stupid. But I do agree in disliking double standards.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2004, 08:42:24 AM »
Thankfully, because of the "Nightwatch" thread, I knew exactly what a wristwatch was upon reading that post.

We're going to have to start adding hyphens to words like wrist-watch.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2004, 09:59:27 AM »
I've now rendered that post non-sensical! BWAhAHAhahaha!

I just realized that the only time we'd ever seen the combination of letters t-w-a-t  was in the middle of words like Nightwatch and wristwatch, so I removed it from the sensored words list. I felt that was pretty safe.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2004, 04:10:09 PM »
Well technically I did it once under the Nightwatch post, I just typed that word so could see it pop up as thingy.  That's ok, I don't mind your making my post nonsensical
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan