Author Topic: Haven't read WOT - Is it a waste of time to try to read Gathering Storm?  (Read 15296 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't read WOT - Is it a waste of time to try to read Gathering Storm?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
Robert Jordan said somewhere (I read it somewhere) that he does not read his published books. He listens to them on audio books. the same man and woman have done all of his books. They do a VERY good job.

Speed isn't the most important thing. I like recorded books for a re-read. I can also do other things. Such as listen in my car going to work, taking a walk, riding my bike, house work.

Does anyone know how good the audio books of brandons books are? The quality can vary depending on the performer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 05:27:04 AM »
Brandon's Mistborn audiobooks are read by Michael Kramer, who is the guy in the WoT audiobooks. However, I haven't listened to any of the books except for Alcatraz, which was fine.

The best audiobooks I've ever heard are the Patrick O'Brien books (starting with Master and Commander) read by Patrick Tull from Recorded Books Inc. He's awesome, gives so much character to the characters.

Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are okay...are often pretty good...but they still make too many mistakes for my taste. I'm listening to The Great Hunt again right now, and it's so annoying how damane is usually pronounced exactly like Domani. Urgh. Also, what I would consider the pivotal line in Knife of Dreams was flubbed by Kramer—he read it in Mat's voice, instead of in Tuon's voice (Tuon is imitating Mat when she says it). I screamed at my iPod when I hit that part because it was just WRONG.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »
There is no better narrator than Michael Kramer and this is coming from an audio book junkie. I admit some narrators come close to or match his skills but I would not want anyone else to read the part of Kelsier or Rand.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:40:01 AM by Seaoftrouble »
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »
I dislike audio books (& i've listened to the 1st chapter of The Great Hunt)..... with a few exceptions i.e. The Hobbit
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 03:42:35 AM »
There is no better narrator than Michael Kramer
Rubbish. Kramer is no more than decent. The errors I described above are evidence enough.

Patrick Tull is awesome.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:36 AM »
Rubbish. Kramer is no more than decent. The errors I described above are evidence enough.

Patrick Tull is awesome.
Would you say he is great as a result of performance, accuracy or both.

If Patrick Tull puts on a great show then I need to listen to his work and will if he narrated any science fiction or horror novels .

Just curious because if someone is accurate but sound like a robot or Pee Wee Herman I am not going to listen. I would rather some of RJ's to many to count made up words get trashed than deal with a bad performance. I think Robert Jordan who was fearless when it came to new word creation would agree. I might be a little more forgiving because I listened to the audio books first and did not have a preconceived concept of how the fictitious  words should be pronounced.

All I know is I enjoyed the hell out of Michael Kramer's work in WOT and Mistborn. I guess Narrators are like actors, for instance I like Jack Nicholson but I know plenty of people who can't stand him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:06:19 AM by Seaoftrouble »

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »

Patrick Tull is awesome.
I listened to some of Tull’s work he is very good. I would not have him read The Gunslinger by Stephen King but he would be perfect for A Mid Summer’s Night Dream or anything by Tokien. Is there an example of his work that does not make use of his accent like a western, something by Tom Clancy or Hunter Thompson perhaps?

It’s just I can’t picture him reading Under The Dome or the Outsiders can you?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »
I don't know, Patrick Tull can do American accents quite well. When Americans show up in the Aubrey/Maturin books and start talking like Americans, it's almost a shock.

I have only heard him read the Aubrey/Maturin books, so I'm not saying he's the reader who has the best range, but I'd trust him for any book where character voice is important. As it is highly important in the Wheel of Time. I'm not saying Michael Kramer does a bad job (though he does make some mistakes), but he's not the only person who could have pulled off the Wheel of Time. I do not know if Patrick Tull even liked fantasy though...and I see now that he passed away in 2006. Bummer!

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that he was very good.

The Brother Cadfael Chronicles is a long series of books he narrated, at some point I will have to give them a listen.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 11:30:57 PM »
Oh, that looks interesting! I'll have to check that out.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 03:44:56 AM »
Cadfael was made into a min-series by the BBC. the star is the same guy who stared in I, Claudius. It is done pretty well for a low budget. I don't really like mysteries though, but this is done really well. If you want to read a GREAT midievil novel read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. This has already been filmed as a mini-series by Ridley Scott (gladiator, first alien movie). I don't know what channel it will be on.

Follet is an interesting guy. He writes modern thrillers and his most popular book is a midievil story. If you want to read midievil fantasy you should read this book. George RR Martin recommended it highly on his website.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 03:46:44 AM »
The best audiobook I ever listend to was the one for the Time Travellers wife. Best performance I have seen. Partially because the book was so good. The movie sucked.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »
We enjoyed the Brother Cadfael books.  They would be fun to listen to.
~금강산도 식후경~

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »

Cute Beyond Belief
Convinces a mob of little
girls to attack all things that
don’t conform to WASP
ideals!

EDIT: It wont let me paste my Hello Kitty photo  :'(

Because Hello Kitty has nothing to do with WASP.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »
WASP as in White Anglo-Saxon Males? how does it pertain to hello kitty?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz