Author Topic: I'm new. And have a question  (Read 1357 times)

Collun

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
I'm new. And have a question
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »
I'm also unsure of where to put this. Anyways, I've read all of Sanderson's books (OK I lie, not Alcatraz stuff) and just finished Old Man's War by Scalzi.

Can someone explain the relationship between the authors? Seems friendsly and respectful, but I've been wrong before (once). Also, do the fans share the same jokingly aggressive relationship or are they more spiteful of each other?

Thanks, and my apologies for being a, how would you say, noob.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: I'm new. And have a question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
You're in the wrong section, chief, FYI. Brandon's subsection of the forum is a few links down on the main page (not a problem, though, i'm sure a mod will move this)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new. And have a question
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
It's played for humor and their fans have a ton of overlap.

John and Brandon were both nominated for the Campbell award for best new writer in their first year of eligibility. John won by a significant margin. (And the next year Naomi Novik won in a landslide.)

Some of Brandon's friends at Worldcon in Anaheim (where John won the Campbell) built a small rocketship out of Legos. They then took one of the Lego pieces to John to autograph. When this was placed back in the rocketship it became the Scalzi Award, which they presented to Brandon. Here's a picture: http://brandonsanderson.com/graphics/3d0f14e107fd_14BFB/Award.jpg

Then Brandon showed it to John and he thought it was hilarious.

Brandon occasionally writes about John as if he is his evil nemesis, and he raises his fist to the sky and shouts, "SCALZIII!" (think "KHAAAAN!") However they are generally not direct competitors and have both plugged each other's books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!