Poll

Which author is the most overated in the genre?

J.K. Rowling
J. R. R. Tolkien (choose this and Gollum will eat you)
Robert Jordan (LIES!!!)
Terry Goodkind
Orson Scott Card
Terry Brooks

Author Topic: Authors undeserving of their fame.....possibly  (Read 13276 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Authors undeserving of their fame.....possibly
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »
Not me.  With Meyer it was a struggle, but I did eventually get into it enough to finish it.  I couldn't even start Eragon.

Also, although she may write Mary-sues, at least she tried to be original (most people hate her original, but at least she tried.)  The dragon book?  Not a new idea in the entire book.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2009, 11:04:37 PM »
Yeah, and wilson would have your head, too.

What's that supposed to mean?
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 11:22:03 PM »
I mean, if Kaz accepted Meyer as a real author, you'd have at 'im :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
...Not really. I may consider her books as the lowest form of literature available (and it pains me to refer to it as literature), but she's still an author. She writes. She's published. She is an author, even if I don't think she should've EVER written anything, and definitely not tried to get anything she wrote published....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »
Fair enough.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2009, 02:14:29 AM »
Kendra, I have to disagree.  Twilight is absolute garbage, but The Host is worth reading.  If she did more novels like it, (and hadn't thrown a fit over Midnight Sun) people might actually come to like her writing.  It's something that I'm willing to acknowledge, and pretty much anyone who's read all five of her books agrees with me.  It's a mildy decent book.  (Not an amazing book, but good enough to be reconized.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2009, 03:09:09 AM »
See, I've heard that about The Host. And if she hadn't thrown her tantrum with Midnight Sun, I may have read it. Maybe. But she did. I think I've said this before, but I was willing to give her one last chance on her writing with Midnight Sun....And then it got leaked and she had that extremely immature fit. Now it's not just her writing I don't like. It's her. Maybe if she finished MS, I'll read it and maybe if it's actually semi-decent, I might read The Host, but as it stands now, I never plan on reading her again.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2009, 06:07:43 AM »
There are certain books you can't read more than a couple of pages from...i.e. Twilight and Moon People, and once you cross the line where i would rather eat your "book" than read it i won't pick up anything by you again!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bejay

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
Could the person that voted for Robert Jordan kindly step forward and move on over to that nice wall over there? Have a blindfold, here you go. Cigarette? Well then....... SQUAD AIM.............

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »
I thought Brooks would get more votes and card would have 3 or 4 max... I'm happy people agree with me!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 06:10:20 AM »
Sweet... it seems I shall go the way of the martyr. Thank you Bejay for that opportunity. If it is any consolation, I don't think he is a bad author just because the series didn't do much for me personally. I can get a little tired of the hype, but that's just people, not a reflection on his books. I only really voted for him because I thought the question was a bit silly and I saw the subtle hint from Kaz as a challenge.  :P
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
Tolkien challenged you with Gollum to ya know...

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »
Yeah, but I couldn't pick both of them and Gollum's my bud. :P
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »
Yeah, he's pretty much an arrogant jerk, and he thinks it's cool to insult his fans.

That, and he insists that he's not a fantasy author, because fantasy books simply can't be good, right? And his books, of course, are (good, not fantasy).

Between his attitudes toward the fantasy genre and his attitudes toward people in general, I've never been able to make myself like Goodkind. Add to that the fact that his books (with the exception of Wizard's First Rule) kind of suck.... Yeah, I'm not a Goodkind fan.

^ This is why I voted Goodkind, Poulini and Meyer's may not be the best authors but at least their not Jerks.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.