Author Topic: I...What? WHAT?  (Read 3800 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
I...What? WHAT?
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:51:19 PM »
I have just been informed that is possible to get a Bachelor of Arts degree... in Math.

. . .

I don't know how that works but I think some fundamental part of the world has just been broken.

Broken, that it may never again be restored.

Yeah, what?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: I...What? WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:12:12 PM »
What's the difference between a BA and a BS anyway? Do the arts people just not want any of our real-major cooties on them?

(Oooo, burrrrn! :P)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:24:25 PM »
Everyone knows it's the science majors who believe in cooties. ::) At least, that's how it appears to work at my university: It's the science majors who believe in cooties, and the fine arts majors (as opposed to just arts majors) who carry them.

And while it's true that most arts majors don't want to claim math in any way shape or form, (if science majors want to, that's deserving of our sympathy not our disgust) what gets me is that the BA in mathematics is presumably different from the BSc in mathematics.  (Because I would hate to imply that your majors are BS. ;) ) Seriously, what's this about? Do they do any actual, you know, math? or do they just compete with each other over who can come up with the prettiest stylized versions of Sigma and i?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »
I don't know, my Matrix Theory said he thinks math professors should be required to take an art class so they can draw those frickin' diagrams well. Maybe your university is ahead of the curve?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:33:40 AM »
(Because I would hate to imply that your majors are BS.  ;))

Oh, why not? After that opening shot I fired I was pretty much expecting it. :D

Since I've spent my entire Tommy Boy-length college career in technical majors, I've sort of developed this disparaging attitude towards arts majors (helped along by my professors, many of which are much worse), but don't feel too bad; it's really just jealousy because I can't figure out what they could possibly assign that would actually be difficult.

That said, I really don't understand the need to subdivide the Bachelor's degree into arts and sciences. Even within the subdivide, not all majors are created equal. (For example, Exercise Science is not as hard as Chemical Engineering, and Photography is not as hard as History.)

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:30:43 AM »
I'm an arts major, and therefore nicer than you. Or maybe I'm Canadian, and therefore nicer than you. ::)

...it's really just jealousy because I can't figure out what they could possibly assign that would actually be difficult.

Eheheh. Spoken like... well, like someone who is used to having "right answers" that the professors actually have to give you marks for.  :P

Really, I think the division is kind of silly, too. I  still want to know what the math rationale is. :P

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:52:12 AM »
Eheheh. Spoken like... well, like someone who is used to having "right answers" that the professors actually have to give you marks for.

Eh, there's a lot of subjectivity in CS grading as well. In many classes your code and design are evaluated much like an English professor would evaluate a piece of prose, and a beautiful software architecture is considered by many to be a form of art.

I was thinking more along the lines of complexity, which in computer systems is off the charts. Same goes for most sciency things. Frankly, I've seen nothing in the arts majors that suggests anything nearly so complex (although I've never read T.S. Elliot; according to Spider-Man 2, that's more complicated than quantum physics).

(As an aside, I hope I'm making it clear that I don't take myself too seriously here. I like to poke fun at the BA side of the fence, but I like just as well to hear a good riposte.)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:32 PM »
I like how everyone ignores my degree Bus. Admin... the school of business is full of practical people to lazy to go into the sciences!!! :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:31:35 AM »
Meh. I've been disinclined to defend the arts ever since I learned that not only do abominations like deconstructionism exist, but people actually take them seriously.

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
As an aside, I learned last year that at least two colleges (in North Carolina) offer a Business degree in Music.  Speaking as someone who is not inclined to teach in the classroom, nor to perform- I wish there had been something like that offered at the college I attended.  Three years ago.

Just to shake things up a little! ;D
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 04:19:54 AM »
A business degree in music? What is this college and where do I apply?

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 04:31:11 AM »
One is Appalachian State University --> Linky

I can't remember the name of the other at the moment.  But I did a google search and got a whole bunch of hits, so apparently it's more common than I thought.  I only learned about it because one of my students was preparing for the auditions.  But then she got accepted to her number one choice and is now majoring in something completely different.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 06:42:41 AM »
Hum. That's pretty cool, actually...

My university doesn't have a single music class. Not the campus I attend, anyway. :(

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 08:19:44 AM »
Hum. That's pretty cool, actually...

My university doesn't have a single music class. Not the campus I attend, anyway. :(

That's really sad. The music curriculum at BYU is a great source of top-notch, cheap concerts. I should go to more of those...

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
My university's other (larger) campus has a decently robust  music program, I think. Nothing here though. I kind of miss it, but then again, I never have room for all the classes I want to take as it is. :P Too many shinies, not enough time...

I keep fairly active in the music scene on my own so it's not too big a deal. (Side note: I just realized that I have absolutely no idea if the big band is resuming rehearsals tonight, or next Thursday. Ooops?) If I'd gone to a university for the music, I would've gone to UVic.

Still, I wouldn't mind being able to pick up a few music classes... Not that I have anything particular in mind. *cough*audio engineering*cough*