Author Topic: COVER ART  (Read 6410 times)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: COVER ART
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
Ah yes, I was getting that one mixed up with the hardcover art. My apologies. It was the Sanderson book I bought to test out the waters when he was announced as the WoT finisher. Later I got the full set of hardcovers because Brandon's so awesome. Anyway, I was thinking that that cover was TFE's hardcover and TFE's hardcover was WoA's hardcover. Whoops.

So, take my criticisms of the hardcovers as a whole and apply them to TFE, and move my specific criticisms of TFE's cover to the paperback edition. Though now that I'm looking at the three of them next tot each other, WoA looks like the black sheep if anything, though they all are a bit different from each other in interpretation....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:52:36 PM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »
Yeah ryos... i preferred that one... it evokes more emotion and thought than the other
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 12:21:49 AM »
that's the paperback that i have too, and i have some problems with it (Vin a little too "ugly", the inquisitor just wrong), but i like it more than the newer paperbacks.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
that's the paperback that i have too, and i have some problems with it (Vin a little too "ugly", the inquisitor just wrong), but i like it more than the newer paperbacks.

A little? Until Ookla set me straight, I genuinely thought that was supposed to be Kelsier.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »
Makes perfect sense. I don't understand why mass-market paperbacks don't use the same covers as hardcovers. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult and the hardcovers are always better.

Sorry if I'm a bit behind (I'm just trying to catch up) but I also wanted to add that the reason they changed the covers was because the PB version was sent to all the grocery stores and junk, so they tried to appeal to that crowd (which, you must admit both version are similar to the rest of those novels).  If you check the forums enough you'll find where EUOL (I think it was him) explained it in more detail.

However, I agree that if they want it to stand out, they should have left the HB covers.

As for all the comments about (as I call it) the ugly cover, check out the original discussions here.  As you can see, we all hated it from the beginning.  I think I know the story behind why it was still used, but I don't want to say something and find out I'm wrong.  (Also, if you look at the link that Sprig posted on the end, you'll see a VERY familiar image.  I'm kind of glad it didn't become FE PB cover, but also glad it wasn't scrapped... ;))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:35:44 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
I've never seen Brandon's books in a food store or drug store, and I've looked :)

I just realized that there are two Final Empire paperback covers. One of them is quite beautiful. Somehow, I got stuck with this one. Yuck.

I am so glad I lent out my copy of that edition and didn't get it back.

I'll admit that I like the mass market paperbacks partially because Vin looks close to how I imagined her. Elend, OTOH... yuck. And the mistcloaks look rockin'.

The dichotomy between light and darkness, however, I quite liked from the HoA paperback.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

FireArt

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 04:32:24 AM »
   The art on Warbreaker grabbed my attention more than the others. I think it was mostly because of the contrast in colors, but I just found it more visualy appealing than the others.

I am not saying, however that I do not like the others, this was just my favorite. :)

I just realized that there are two Final Empire paperback covers. One of them is quite beautiful. Somehow, I got stuck with this one. Yuck.

I actually didn't see the "yucky" one until later and was like "What is that?" Didn't like that one at all.