Author Topic: Making a mistcloak!  (Read 6795 times)

menandore

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • My motto: I don't know what I'm doing. YET.
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
Re: Making a mistcloak!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 01:37:10 AM »
Yeah, natural fibers don't take very well to burning for the most part. :(  A friend of mine once had to cut out a bunch of things from ripstop nylon, and her serger was acting up,  If I recall correctly she cut out her fabric with a soldering iron. Classy. :P

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 03:11:58 AM »
Why didn't I think of that?!  I'll be able to use that for my final layer at least.  :D
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 07:47:52 AM »
Have you thought of using a rolled hem stitch?  There is even a foot that will do most of the work for you.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

menandore

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
Yup, I have a rolled hem foot, and I tried it.  It's just too bulky, IMO.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
This probably wouldn't work, but have you thought of sewing tubes? It would eliminate the rough edges, but double the weight of each streamer and probably make strange voodoo things happen with the wind. I don't think that the results would be very satisfying, but if you're looking into different ways to finish edges....
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

menandore

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »
Oh, interesting thought. I may experiment with that.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 01:45:25 AM »
I really just kind of skimmed this thread so forgive me if someone has said this already. This topic has been discussed at some length before. I always saw a mistcloak as being more like a ghillie suit that a soldier would wear. I mean they serve the same purpose right? So I looked at it more as having many small tassels instead of many long tassels. I think if you searched for instructions on how to make a ghillie suit then it would give you some good ideas. I have made a ghillie suit in the past and it worked quite well.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

menandore

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »
Oh my god. 

Now I'm picturing a mist-ghillie-suit.

You just made my day.  Even if I can't quite picture, say, Kelsier wearing one.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 02:37:19 AM »
Although I agree that a form fitting ghillie suit variation would be more effective than a cloak, I don't think that's what Brandon had in mind. Building a mistcloak as described in the quote on page 1 of this thread would give a near normal cloak look when the wearer was stationary (assuming no wind), so my cloak certainly doesn't fit Brandon's vision either.

A ghillie suit would blend in much better in Terran foggy conditions than a mistcloak if it had sufficiently long tassels. Of course, it was my understanding that the mistcloak was more for intimidation than camouflage. Unless the mist behaved more erratically than I think it did.

Problems with ghillie suits:
  • Somebody can grab a tassel and yank you back or stab you with a knife: Game Over. Unless you design the tassels to break away with a certain amount of force. You'd have to make this as close to the force a tassel would normally receive from high wind speeds and fast changes in direction or someone could just grab a handful of tassels and you're stuck anyway. I don't think that the strength needed for tassels in the wind would be low enough to allow for an easy escape by this method. Cloaks avoid this by being easy to remove. At one point in the book, Vin drops her cloak when someone grabs it.
  • They are hot and heavy.
  • It would be very difficult to affect the flow of the tassels (if you're trying to remain unseen while stationary in a cloak, you can hold the tassels or something similar).
  • Cloaks look cooler when wind is in play. :P

If those problems could be properly addressed, a ghillie suit would be superior in every way to a cloak.
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

menandore

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 03:23:27 AM »
I have a winner!!! Putting a couple rows of stitching very close to edge of a bias-cut strip seems to control fraying without affecting the drape.  I will be updating with pictures (and pictures of the new mockup with and without organza overlay) within the next couple days.  Man am I relieved.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 07:29:42 PM »
Now I didn't mean that you should construct a ghillie suit. I was only saying that you could use some of the same techniques to construct a good mist cloak. The main thing in constructing a ghillie suit is a base of netting. This allows the maker to tie strips of material to the different parts of the net. The strips can be varying sizes even allowing the ones near the top to be longer. This way the tassels overlap eachother giving the garment camouflage. If you take a cloak then attach a section of netting to the back nearly equal to the size of the cloak then this will give you a good platform to work with. The cloak could be dropped just as easy as any other and it would allow for individual tassels to be torn free without much effort. It would probably be a good idea to allow the netting to go over the shoulders to the front of the cloak as well. this would help break up the outline of the person wearing it. This is just an idea. I haven't done this so I don't know. But thinking about it I think it could be done fairly easily and quickly given the correct materials.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »
I was adjusting the design of my room today, and I moved my French flag. The flag fabric has excellent properties for a mistcloak based on Brandon's description if you do a full, flowy normal cloak with two layers of flag fabric, it may behave very nicely. Especially if it's waterproof and not especially heavy. If you use polyester you can singe the edges. :)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 04:48:15 AM »
God hates the french....or wait was that band nerds...i hope it's the french cuz i still have my old band stuff
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz