Author Topic: Enlisting in the Air Force (or maybe the Army if the A.F. doesn't want me)  (Read 5660 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Alright, so I know that there are some military and ex-military folks out there, and I had a question or two about joining up.  Firs, I would be joining up as a JAG officer, meaning I would be a military attorney.  I would enter as a 2nd lieutenant, and very soon I would be promoted to captain.  Pay is good, perks are great, and I get to train with an assault rifle for at least a few days, so I'm stoked about that too.

Now here are my questions:

1)  Is this a good idea.

2)  What will my life be like?

3)  What will my office hours be like (when not deployed)?  Eight hour work days?  Owned and worked like a dog?  Anybody know?

4)  What will my life be like if I get deployed?

5)  How often do they let me shoot a gun?  Throw grenades?  What are the odds of them letting me try out a rocket launcher?  C-4?  Anything that goes "boom"?

Anyway, I've read all the propaganda and whatnot, I was wondering what the everyday would actually be like.  If you know, please speak up.  If you know someone who knows, please ask for me.

Thanks!
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
So, I was Air Force Enlisted... so a lot of my experience will be different.  I was also transportation, which is another difference.

1)  Go army if you want to get a more military feel.  Air Force if you want a corporate feel.  When I was in Iraq, we worked for the Army.  Out there we had to form up before duty, do weapon inspections, rank and file kinda stuff.  In the air force, the only time we form up is for ceremonies and other special circumstances.

2) If you choose army, you'll do 6+ months of basic training/commissioning/job training.  Air Force will be about 3+ months.  Getting dressed in the morning is really easy, especially with the new boots that don't require shining. :)  As an officer, you'll have to salute every single person you meet.  Some people like that, some don't.  Every morning you'll have to do Physical Training.  Air force PT is 1.5 mile run, jumping jacks, sit ups, etc.  Not sure what the army does.

3)  Again, I only know air force, but I'm guessing the army is somewhat similar.  We generally went to PT at 5:30-6am, ran for 30-40 minutes, went home to shower and had to arrive at work by 7-7:70am.  From there you work until 3-5am.  Since I was trans, we worked 24/7, but the management flights generally worked usual business hours.  When you're deployed, be ready for 12+ hour shifts.  Deployments suck, but that's expected.  (I did convoys throughout iraq, so my 'shifts' were however long it took to drive from point a to b... be it 4 hours or 24.

4)  Army generally have huge bases while the AF usually have smaller bases.  When I was in Iraq, I was stationed at Balad Air Base/Camp Anaconda.  It was a giant army base with a smaller (more fortified) AF base in the middle of it.  AF usually have better places to live.  We had our own washer/dryers.  Our 'moral' area had computers, tvs, etc.  And it wasn't as overcrowded as the army side.  Army side didn't get washers/dryers, but they contracted out with Third Country Nationals (TCN's) to do our laundry for us.  They folded them for us too.  (A perk of being AF working for the army is I got the perks of both worlds.)  If you're army, you'll be carrying a weapon and at least one magazine of ammo anywhere you go.  I had a M4 when I was deployed.  Most air force are given a weapon to deploy with but it usually ends up in an armory and they don't see it.  The army is expected to be ready to defend the base if attacked, the air force lets others do it for them. ;)  Oh, and the biggest difference.  Air Force usually deploys for 4 months (but I hear they were extending it to 6) and the army deploys for a year+.  I was out there for 6 months plus a 4 month convoy/heavy weapon course in Texas/Kuwait.  Some officers are expected to go for a year regardless of your unit since you'll be working with other forces/leading.  Also, the army brings their own gear with them and takes it home with them... the air force buys new gear for deployed units and you hand it down to units as they arrive.

5)  You do qualification shooting every other year.  In the Army, you'll probably do the whole shooting/grenades/rocket launcher thing at basic training.  In the AF, I never got to do the grenades/rocket launcher.  (We had some assigned to us while in Iraq, but I never got to detonate them.)  Being transportation, I was able to shoot a wide range of weapons.  (We did gun trucks to protect the convoys.)  My favorite is probably the 50cal See me with one here :)  also more pics of iraq there  but the SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon... read: machine gun) and MK-19[/url were fun as well.  The MK-19 would have been more fun, but I only got to shoot the inert training rounds.  That being said, as a lawyer, you'll probably be trained in 9mil (to protect secret docs) and the usual M16.

So, all in all, AF is easier, less work, more perks.  Army is tougher, more military oriented, etc.  Depends on what you want.

If you want the view of someone in legal, let me know.  I'm good friends with someone who was a paralegal (enlisted) that can tell you more about what the officers had to do.
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Thanks Stridera!  Although I must say your description of it gave me some pause.  I'm kinda expecting a desk job with the rare holy-crap-what-am-I-doing-in-the-desert-with-people-shooting-at-me experience.  If it's like what you were describing, well, I'm gonna have to do some soul searching.

As to hearing about the legal end of it, Please ask for me!  I'm really interested in the legal side of it.  How often are they deployed?  Especially the recently comissioned?  I know the experience as an officer will be different from what your experience was, so if you would forward on to him all my questions raised above, I would really appreciate it.
~T.S. Eliot

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Go for the Mafia. They offer more perks, less people shooting at you (debatable), and no PT. ;P

I dunno, stridera's description of the armed forces seems kinda fun. I don't much go in for violence, camping, or being macho, but if I did, this sounds like the place to be. The AF sounds a bit sissy though. ;) My brother is an airborne comm officer and jump master trainer for the Army, three of my uncles were Green Berets, and my grandfathers were both in the Navy. I get stories all the time. The stories they tell don't make it sound like fun. My dad was in the AF as a dental lab technician, but he doesn't really have any stories. Your description of the AF made military duty sound almost tolerable.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:47:19 PM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Recovering Cynic, I think a JAG would have an entirely different experience, more like an engineer even. My dad was an aeronautical engineer as an air force officer and still works for the air force as a civilian. He never saw a station anywhere near a combat zone and has worked a desk his whole career. He did do basic training but it didn't last long and he grew up on a farm so working long hours was not a problem. Once at the desk though his work was by the clock and he didn't have weird overtime.

As a JAG since you'd be dealing with criminal cases among enlisted men and officers, you might go some interesting places since crimes happen everywhere. But I really doubt they'd stick you in actual combat. Still, I have never known a JAG so what I am saying may not apply at all.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
I sent an email to my paralegal friend so hopefully she'll respond with some actual job-related info.  As for my description, I included only the 'fun' stuff, as you say.  I was enlisted for 6 years.  1 year was spent in basic and linguist training (I was a Arabic Linguist for a year, but hated it so I switched to trans.)  The other 5 years, only 1 was spent deployed.  While in the U.S., I had to do PT in the morning, and the rest was like a normal office job.  On nights/weekends, I would go into the shop, pull up my laptop, and play WOW all night. :)  (Or, study for my B.S./Masters degrees.)  Most of the time, the Air Force feels like any other 9-5 job, and I'm guessing that would be the case for JAG as well.  (In trans we had fun jobs of going out to downed planes, driving out in the middle of drop zones to pick up paratroopers, etc, but JAG would be all paperwork/courtroom stuff... Boring. :)
  - Orson Welles

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Yeah, I seriously doubt they'd deploy you at all.  As a lawyer, you're more valuable off the battlefield.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Yeah, I seriously doubt they'd deploy you at all.  As a lawyer, you're more valuable off the battlefield.

on the upside, if you do, you could totally be the base model for the new GI Joe Battle Lawyers playset with all new Kung-fu litigation action, if one ever gets made.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Yeah, I heard it was stuck in Development Hell though.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Yeah, I heard it was stuck in Development Hell though

. . . with the rest of the lawyers  :-X
~T.S. Eliot

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
I know a couple people that were used as models for the America's Army game :)  Sadly, you had to be army so they wouldn't take me :/
  - Orson Welles

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Had a cool experience with JAG once.

A new and ever more complicated ROE (Rules of Engagement) had just come down about 2/3rds of the way through my Afghanistan deployment and everyone was worried about it because it was quite complicated and looked a little like someone was trying to get us killed, but no one was entirely sure.

Late that night we were getting ready to climb on helicopters to go do a cordon and search of a village thought to have Taliban in it when the Battalion commander showed up on the flight line.  He had is JAG officer in tow.

"Men," he said, "I know the new ROE has everybody worried and confused.  I'm going to clear that up." He patted his JAG officer on the shoulder, "My JAG here is my witness.  I am redefining this battalion's ROE until further notice.  If you feel your life is in danger, take any and all action necessary to eliminate the threat including deadly force. Now go and do good things."  He let the JAG leave and then hung out talking with the officers and senior enlisted in our element until we climbed on the birds.

I don't know if what he did was legal or not but it sure worked for us.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Now *that* would be awesome.
~T.S. Eliot

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
Re: Enlisting in the Air Force (or maybe the Army if the A.F. doesn't want me)
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
Okay, here's another question for all of you who've posted already.  I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I really want to be a writer more than anything else.  However, with a family to support, I have to have a day job.  Is the military going to provide me with enough down time to write?  During deployment?  During base time? 

Do you have other employment suggestions?  Keep in mind, I have a law degree, so it might be a bit of a step down to be a night clerk at a hotel (no offense Mr. Sanderson).  I have a year to figure it out, because that's when my employment contract expires.
~T.S. Eliot

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: Enlisting in the Air Force (or maybe the Army if the A.F. doesn't want me)
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
this thread gave me a two-part idea on how to improve the US legal system:

1. Draft all the lawyers
2. Send them to Afganistan

:)

Just teasing, my father is a lawyer and I spent 5 years as his paralegal.