Author Topic: Signs of the Apocalypse  (Read 3710 times)

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
Re: Signs of the Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 10:07:36 PM »
I agree with saint, the zombies cant possibly be "comfortably" numb, otherwise they wouldnt grunt and moan all the time.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 11:34:24 PM »
They're grunts and groans of pleasure... nevermind.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Sig

• Level 4
  • White Mage needs food badly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 12:52:08 AM »
And you would know this how?
"I try to surround myself with people smarter than me, and so far I've done pretty well. Except for Noah."

The Sniper. Reach out and touch somebody.

"Someone...tree...in...cat...help"

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 01:11:28 AM »
Because it clearly states in the song's title Comfortably Numb.  And it's been said the song is about zombies.  And we all know zombies grunt, groan, and moan.  Since they are comfortable and they are groaning they MUST be groaning and moaning in pleasure.  What, you thought I had some first hand experience?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 02:17:45 AM »
eww.... actually something kinda like that started the inside joke that resulted in "hurricane steamy southern lovin"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 04:24:29 AM »
Discworld zombies are quite comfortable, thank you very much.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 07:28:35 AM »
The next person to suggest that "Comfortably Numb" was about the undead gets to find out first hand if being a zombie is comfortable.

It's about numbing yourself to the vissitudes of life via extensive drug abuse (and how that's a bad thing).

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2004, 08:51:50 AM »
Look, I don't like drugs, and I rarely if ever think about drug use.  Therefore when I started hearing the song, this is what my brain came up with.  I could give you detailed points of how I viewed each part.

The point was to kind compare it to the coma thing.  I completely don't see it, but I've obviously done some weird things to songs before so I'm not the one to be talking.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2004, 09:28:32 AM »
zombies don't fit in with the story line though. The thing about anything on that album is that none of it can be taken out of context. A lot of those songs sound like rebellion "We don't need no education" "ooo... I need a dirty woman" "comfortably numb"   etc. The whole point is that all these things contributed it to his complete and utterly psychologically devasting isolation, which hurt him far more than anything else. His inappropriate responses to the trials of his life have, quite literally, driven him mad. Thus, while it IS about abusing drugs, it is far from a glorification of such.

Thus the problem isn't you, it's the fact that the song gets played out of context so often.

Also, the problem is a couple teenage boys continuing the blasphemy.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2004, 05:23:07 PM »
um is'nt being undead the ULTIMATE rebellion to mainstream life, cuz ya know you're dead rather than alive...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2004, 07:26:21 PM »
it's more of a rebellion against death, because, y'know, you refuse to die.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2004, 11:17:06 PM »
I thought most zombies didn't really have a choice in the matter...

Now, vampires definitely refuse to die...they could easily just stay awake until the sun rises...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 11:40:40 AM »
Well, SE, this one's for you:

Broadway Putting Up 'Wall'

By Ian Mohr
NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is coming to the Great White Way.

Miramax Films has pacted with former Sony Music chief Tommy Mottola to develop and produce a Broadway musical based on the seminal rock opera.

Roger Waters (news), who co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 and conceived the semi-autobiographical 1979 concept double album, will write the Broadway show's book and arrange and orchestrate music for the stage production.

The album, which includes such Pink Floyd hits as "Another Brock in the Wall," "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey You," follows the journey of disillusioned rock star Pink, who looks back at the experiences that forged his neuroses. Like Pink, Waters lost his father in World War II.

Waters, who acrimoniously left Pink Floyd in the 1980s, sold the stage rights to the project to Miramax and Mottola, who runs his own Universal Music-based label, Casablanca Records.

Pink Floyd's "Wall" album, which is certified 23 times platinum and sits in third place on the list of best-selling albums ever, was adapted into a 1982 film released by MGM and starring Bob Geldof (news). Alan Parker ("The Commitments") directed the "Wall" feature from a script by Waters.

Pink Floyd's theatrical live performances of "The Wall" became the stuff of rock legend, and an $8 million production was staged in Berlin in 1990, coinciding with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Said Waters of the planned Broadway show, "Now I can write in some laughs, notable by their absence in the movie."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:41:37 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 11:55:44 AM »
hrm... weird. I don't know if I'd be interested in seeing that or not. I feel the Who has betrayed me by their various adaptations of their Rock Opera. Maybe Waters can do better.
Or maybe Waters is finally realizing that his solo career, in fact, sucks rocks and that he darn well better do SOMETHING if he wants to live on something other than poorly negotiated royalties.

On a different, but Pink Floydian note, did you know that the members of the band are some of the least recognized rock stars on the planet? True story: for all their fame and the devotion of their fans, the lead band members are still able to walk -- WALK IN PUBLIC -- from their concerts to their hotel and not be stopped by a single individual wanting an autograph or to talk about their music and/or career. v strange.