Author Topic: Fantasy: reliable content  (Read 18204 times)

mtbikemom

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy: reliable content
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2009, 01:01:03 AM »
O.K., been busy, but finished Lois McMaster Bujold's first two novels, conveniently packaged in one book called Cordelia's Honor and I give it a big neh

Sorry fans of hers, but I was not drawn to it like I have been to Robin Hobbs.  I made it through Assassin's Quest, though I wasn't sure I could hang on, and I'm glad I did.  It's all about characterization for me and AQ was rich enough in depth of relationship and even had some surprises.  I had heard that it was tedious and that not enough happened, so again I didn't expect much and was pleased to find what I thought was good writing.  It did drag and drag and drag, but never felt completely devoid of content for me.  I give it robust applause, but not the jumping up and down kind. 

Oh, and I read The Gathering Storm in between and that's where I clap and jump around a bit.  I reserve my highest praise, but I think Brandon is off to a very good start. 

I read a couple Christian-authored sci-fi novels, but they were too awful to mention.  Why, oh why?

I now scroll back through this list to see what I might read next.  Rawn?  Moon? Knight?  Brooks?  Zelazny? 

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2009, 05:28:14 AM »
Zelazny's Amber is NOT for you. I love it but it happens to be rather colourful...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »
O.K., been busy, but finished Lois McMaster Bujold's first two novels, conveniently packaged in one book called Cordelia's Honor and I give it a big neh.
Those are a pair of prequels that serve mainly as extra backstory and are far from her best work.  Try Warrior's Apprentice or the omnibus edition Young Miles before you give up on her.  If you get through that and still don't like it I'll be surprised but satisfied that your opinion is based on a truly representative sample, which Cordelia's Honor is not.

As for other stuff, I'll repeat my recommendation of Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy.  Partly because I want to see your opinion of that non-gratuitous torture scene :P (it's late in the third book), but mainly because I've read it and I consider it a fair bit better than both Cordelia's Honor (though about on par with the rest of the Miles series, with a very different style) and Assassin's Quest, which I have also read.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:58:19 PM by douglas »

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2009, 12:43:38 AM »
O.K., I was wondering about that, Douglas.  Seems like Miles is the character to look forward to and I'll keep reading.

Thanks, Kazman, for the heads-up.  I posted a reply to you, I thought, but it's not here!   Hate when that happens.  I said something like: one person's tolerable content is another's intolerable.  No one should be recommending anything racy on this here thread, but it's so very subjective.  The discussion is always valuable, I think.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2009, 04:17:17 AM »
I saw it....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 02:41:35 AM »
I'd recommend David Niven's Exiles trilogy for clean SciFi. Most anything by Ben Bova or Andre Norton works. Particularly good is the Forrunner series. For light Fantasy, there is The Complete Compleat Enchanter by Pratt and DeCamp. A good series is A Wizard in Rhyme by the late Christopher Stassheff. L'Engle's Earthsea.

But yeah, newer stuff is generally uplifting only because the success of the Hero(s) is thwarted by fully fleshed antagonists and painful circumstances. Did I mention how much I hate it when buzzwords start replacing real analysis. "Uplighting" indeed!
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »
Older Rawn is good, but avoid her newest one, Spellbinder.  Lots of sex and completely different. She explains at the back of the book why it is so different. I just remembered because it was on the remainder table when I went to the bookstore the other day.

Daenya

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 05:09:25 AM »
In the YA vein, I've always enjoyed Garth Nix.  He has an older YA series called the Abhorsen Trilogy (Canada & the US)/The Old Kingdom (everywhere else) which is just excellent, and its totally clean.  I mean, there's some innuendo, and some off-screen sex, and a major part of the magic takes place in the realm of death, but I would be more than happy for any impressionable young minds to read it.

He has also done some younger YA called the Keys to the Kingdom.  It takes me about 2 hours to read each book, but they are a very enjoyable 2 hours  :)

<edit>
I forgot about the Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobel Carmody...the only catch is that the series is unfinished  :(  And while the latest book was released in 2008, the one before that was released in 1999  >:(  According to http://www.obernewtyn.net/e107/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?113967.0#post_338810, the last book is finished and just waiting editing, with a Feb 2011 release (in Australia, at least), but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:10:51 AM by Daenya »

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »
I just finished the Percy Jackson books.  I got them for my son, (11) but my husband and I enjoyed them as well. I was surprised at how much I liked them. Quick, clean and entertaining. Not terribly deep, but they are written for kids.

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
I would recommend Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. It doesn't really have any language or sex that I can remember, and if it were strong enough, I think I would remember it. Then again, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, so yeah.

I suggest The Lies of Locke Lamora to pretty much everyone, but it has a lot of language, and some fairly intense violence, so I'm not sure it's really your thing.

I second John Brown's Servant of a Dark God. Brown is a really nice guy, and his writing is great. It's very clean, and everything that's in there has a purpose.

I have a soft spot in my heart for David Eddings' stuff, since they were some of the books my mother read to me growing up. They're very clean, as I remember them, and would probably be considered YA by today's standards. Flame away, everyone, I like Eddings.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is a very good read, and I highly recommend it. Think of the Jungle Book, but with dead peoples' ghosts. Oh, and a guy trying to murder the main character...who is not a tiger or baboon.

Sanderson's Alcatraz series is clearly aimed at kids, but it's still a fun read for adults.

Joseph Delaney's The Last Apprentice series is one that I never hear people talking about, but I think is great. Just gruesome enough to seem scary to kids, but solid writing in my opinion. They make a good airplane and car ride book, since you can plow through one in just an hour or two.

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are very clean books. I liked The Hunger Games much more, but Catching Fire is a worthy succesor. The Third book is probably due out in a year and a half or so, maybe less. I hear there's a movie deal in the works too. Think Thunderdome for kids. That's honestly the best quick description I can give.

On Stranger Tides is a novel by Tim Powers that I finished not too long ago. It's a swashbuckling tale that Pirates of the Carribean clearly swiped several things from initially, and I hear that the next Pirates movie is based on this book. It was fun. There was some violence, but not much in the way of cursing or sex that I remember, and it was all necessary to the story.

There's always the Harry Potters, though I think everyone in the entire world has read those. It's like they shipped them in Crack Jack boxes or something. Sheesh.

Overlooked and well worth the read for YA is the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I really enjoyed these books, and I think that the only reason they weren't more popular was because they were out at the same time as the steam engine that was Rowling's Harry Potter stuff.

That's a decent list for now, I guess. Enjoy!
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2010, 02:52:28 AM »
Thanks Renoard, reader mom, Daenya and Dark Prophesy.  I will post a few brief reviews of what I have been reading when I have more time.  Gotta cook dinner before the hubby gets home.

Moggle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2010, 11:31:26 PM »
Ranger's Apprentice
Inkheart
Uglies
Kingkiller Chronicles
Harry Potter
Stardust
Gideon Trilogy
Percy Jackson
Wheel of Time

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »
Other than George RR Martin (who I like) what fantasy authors have alot of sex and gratuitous violence? I heard Goodkind does. Who else?

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2010, 02:52:10 AM »
guessingo: Joe Abercrombe. Richard Morgan.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:54:01 AM by Silk »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2010, 05:56:19 AM »
Erickson for violence, sex is more implied... sometimes flat out stated but never described.