Author Topic: New Hitchhiker's Guide books  (Read 6295 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: New Hitchhiker's Guide books
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »
Try reading Airman.  I am sort of luke warm about Artemis Fowl but I really liked that one.  Though I think he is a completely ridiculous choice to try and follow Douglas Adams.

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 04:27:08 AM »
Hitchhiker's Guide was a great yet silly trip I will go on again but with the original books, not any new material that comes out. It would have been a stretch for Adams to pull another book out of that series let alone someone ells. A new author might tack a Hollywood ending on it. No I think I can do without a new Hitchhiker Guide book or a sequel to Hamlet.   

Arthur was not destined to have a happy ending even though was I cheering for him.     

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
[Ford Prefect:] "Why, what did she tell you?"
[Arthur:] "I don't know, I didn't listen."
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »
I picked this book up yesterday. I figure I should give it a fair chance and read it, since the HHG series is my favorite book series ever.

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
[Ford Prefect:] "Why, what did she tell you?"
[Arthur:] "I don't know, I didn't listen."

One of my favorite all time quotes from the book.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
I have heard nothing good about it. Certainly not a resounding success like The Gathering Storm was, and I hear that it was really the publisher pushing for the sequel and for Colfer even though they claimed it was Adams' widow pushing for them.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »
I have heard nothing good about it. Certainly not a resounding success like The Gathering Storm was, and I hear that it was really the publisher pushing for the sequel and for Colfer even though they claimed it was Adams' widow pushing for them.

Yeah, i'm certainly not expecting everything i ever wanted and then some out of it. I'll let you guys know what i think when I get around to reading it. I'm expecting to get some mild entertainment out of it at best.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 05:36:54 AM »
So i just finished the book. I won't go to an in depth review, but I'll give my impressions.

All in all, it was a luke-warm book at best. There are times when it almost feels like the book WAS written by adams, but then suddenly Colfer's voice comes crashing through and you realize it isn't. After all the time I personally have invested in the original HHG books (they're my favorite books) it was refreshing to read something new involving what, at this point, feels like old friends. Zaphod and Ford didn't QUITE feel like themselves, but Arthur and Random feel well done to me. Trillian seemed sort of hit-n-miss. Some points in the plot (like the general absurdity of things that happen) felt in place for the HHG universe, but overall, the plot didn't seem like something you would expect it to go from the previous sets. As far as comedy goes, I didn't really find any parts that got more than a brief chuckle or head shake out of me, and nothing too terribly memorable. A large quantity of things from the previous books were reused and brought up quite a bit, which seemed out of place to me. For example, it seemed like the words "Froody dude" were in every other sentence from Zaphod and Ford, in extreme excess to what was in any of the previous books, which was one small niggle of mine that I really felt I just couldn't ignore as a whole.

At the end of the day, If you consider yourself a big HHG fan, i would recommend reading it, but be sure to set your sights down a notch or three.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard