Author Topic: Do We Want A Website?  (Read 7448 times)

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
Re: Do We Want A Website?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 06:51:36 AM »
Yea, the header was as far as I got before I was slapped. :/

What's wrong with your site?  Maybe I really don't get it....
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 06:55:48 AM »
Your header looks fine to me,  even if it makes my inner bandwith Nazi cringe.

I don't know! They use words like "spare" and "boring". I think it looks fine. *disdainful sniff*

Note: No one's actually complained since I added the stripey background. I got more, ah, remarks when it was plain blue.

Maybe you need more stripes? :/

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »
lol.. bandwidth is cheap nowadays. :)

The only thing I might change is nobody knows what it represents... supposed to be a quill writing a fantasy world.. *shrugs* 

As for your site, the only thing I would change would be the striped background.. vertical stripes make your site look fat, no? ;)
  - Orson Welles

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 07:20:35 AM »
Umm... I'd say drop either the embossing or the glow on the title. Other than that it looks fine. I'm not a big fan of the font, but I don't know which I'd use to fit with the feel you have going. If I were getting paid for my opinion, I'd definitely find one for you. As it is, I'd say to look for something with less fatness in the middle of the strokes. The glowy graphics and pen on the sides distract a bit, extending the lines across the entire photo and possibly continuing them on the background would be good if you want them there. Maybe if you separated the themes by link subject, having the quill floating above the word "Blog", the digital-looking stuff with "Coding", an edit/crop of a photo you took for "Photos", and dragons/rune stuff with "Writing". Four seasons style. Then again, the runes could be the overarching link in the background if you want to go that way.

What I'm trying to say is that, while there's only one (or maybe two) thing(s) "wrong with it", there are several things that could be done to make it better.

As for your site, Silk, it's very retro. And retro is cool. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Personally, if I were making a site and being lazy about it, I'd use something like this.

But! People like lumpy, interactive buttons nowadays. Apparently. I had a tiff (no, not a .tif) with some coders about their obsession with some of KDE's blobby UIs a while back (different site, different lifetime :P), and I'm afraid that I came down a bit too hard on gradients. Gradients are fine, cool, etc., just not in excess.

I can do design, I just don't like to for the not money. You know, that four letter word. The "F" one.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 12:24:20 AM »
As for your site, the only thing I would change would be the striped background.. vertical stripes make your site look fat, no? ;)

I would put it on a diet, but I just recently swore off webdesign. =P

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »
Just throwing in my two cents on the banner.

I think the two things I have are that it's too busy, and that I have issues reading the bottom of the links.  My advise would be drop the purple lines and move the dragon to replace the one on the left, then make that circle thing in the back a little more faded.  I do like your little dragon emblem at the bottom.

(In case anyone is wanting to see my creditinals, I worked for Hertiage/HIT web design, and here's a couple of sites I've built (and I mean, build.  I do hard coding on everything I do.  No WYSIWYG for me, thank you.)

http://geocities.com/theslipperandtherose
http://trefoilsu.tripod.com
http://geocities.com/firstRainbowRose/ -- I'm planning on overhalling this one.  I don't like it as much.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 01:39:39 AM »
http://stridera.com/index.php/test/
What do you think?  Is it as bad as they say?

Well, your website makes the two biggest mistakes of web design.

#1. You're using a black background.
#2. Your banner is HUGE.

Fix those two things and you're fine. It's a cool banner, just needs to be smaller. Make it the same size as the Time-Wasters banner above and you're good.

I don't know! They use words like "spare" and "boring". I think it looks fine. *disdainful sniff*

Silks page? Nothing wrong with Silk's page, it looks just Smurfy.

Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 01:59:58 AM »
Well, anyone that can make more than a blank black/white page gets points from me. I can't speak 'computer.'  :P
Great sites guys. It was fun to explore all the subtle plugs. :)
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 02:35:51 AM »
I'm tempted to make a Smurf banner just to be a smart aleck. ::) (Or, I would be if I knew how to do anything with images.)

Glad you had fun, Frog. And now I can say someone actually knows about my webpage. One day, the number of people who know about it might even go into double digits! Exciting stuff :P

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 02:47:04 AM »
I'd looked at if before, though I don't know exactly why. I click links sometimes for no reason. "Ooh! A link!" *clicks and disappears into oblivion*
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 05:14:15 AM »
Well, anyone that can make more than a blank black/white page gets points from me. I can't speak 'computer.'  :P
Great sites guys. It was fun to explore all the subtle plugs. :)

You must have a low bar for subtle ;)

Note: No one's actually complained since I added the stripey background. I got more, ah, remarks when it was plain blue.

Haven't I complained about that? Haha. I like pretty buttons...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 05:31:31 AM »
I would just like to say that my post was in no way meant to be a plug.  My honest thoughts were that someone was going to say "what right do you have to make such a suggestion?"  so my brain was like "better supply proof that you know what you're talking about".  (And when you consider that none of those websites are my personal website, you can see I wasn't self promoting.)  Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to promote myself.

As for the bandwith thing, I just checked the SatR website, and I got over 230 hits in the last 30 days, and am no where near close to my limit.  I doubt having full website with banner and everything will cause any sort of problems.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 06:07:08 AM »
firstRainbowRose:  I've build a few websites as well (most microsoft internal or require ford sync credentals) but I have a User Interface team, a Creative team, etc.  They make me nice pictures and I build the site with them.  :)  Which means, I don't know crap. ;)

Well, your website makes the two biggest mistakes of web design.

#1. You're using a black background.
#2. Your banner is HUGE.

Fix those two things and you're fine. It's a cool banner, just needs to be smaller. Make it the same size as the Time-Wasters banner above and you're good.

My plan was to have the background black with other dragon designs and the center column white with black text.  As far as I know, that's still kosher. :)  As for the big banner, it's not so big on a screen with a descent resolution. :)
  - Orson Welles

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 06:26:19 AM »
My plan was to have the background black with other dragon designs and the center column white with black text.  As far as I know, that's still kosher. :)  As for the big banner, it's not so big on a screen with a descent resolution. :)

If it has a white column with black text taking up most of the middle, then yeah, you're good.

The banner is freaking monstrous no matter what your resolution.

100px is considered good. Anything above 150px is considered epic fail. The time-wasters one above 114px. You're humongousaurus banner is over 180px.

I'm not trying to say you can see that banner from orbit or anything. But it could be downsized a little . . .  :D
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45:34 AM »
So strider set me up an email address at readingexcuses.com and for the life of me I cannot remember how to login in?  Does anyone remember the website I go to to log on?  'Cause going to readingexcuses.com just sends me back to the forum.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot