Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 76294 times)

melbatoast

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »
The Big Bang Theory for Brandon's Universe:
In the beginning, there was God (Adonalsium). Until one day he exploded.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »
I have been assuming that Adonalsium was a person or god of some sort.

I believe this concept is too simple. Maybe not "a god" but "the GOD", that's why I named it Creation, not the force actually used to Create, but the Universe itself, should it be conscious. You know, something BIG.

The Big Bang Theory for Brandon's Universe:
In the beginning, there was God (Adonalsium). Until one day he exploded.

:) :D ;D
That's it.
also, as you said in the previous post, I agree if they are Shards, they should have been united before.

And, why is it that we have Humanity in every Shard world? Maybe the biblic conception "at his own image"? I believe BS to have one explanation for that, because he is so orderly....

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2009, 01:09:04 AM »
I suspect sarah is female :P

Oh, no, my secret is out!  (What was your first clue?)   ;)

Wh- what? Don't make fun of me, make fun of him, lol :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2009, 02:56:39 AM »
It's possible Adonalsium was not the god of the entire universe but just of a small section of it where Brandon's planets are. If we're thinking there are only 16 shards, and two of them ended up on the same planet (and Hoid is hopping between Shard worlds), it's possible the shards are spread over a relatively small astronomical area. If that's the case, it might be because that's the area that was Adonalsium's domain.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2009, 03:15:38 AM »
It's possible Adonalsium was not the god of the entire universe but just of a small section of it where Brandon's planets are. If we're thinking there are only 16 shards, and two of them ended up on the same planet (and Hoid is hopping between Shard worlds), it's possible the shards are spread over a relatively small astronomical area. If that's the case, it might be because that's the area that was Adonalsium's domain.

Going off that thought, Ookla, even if Adonalsium's domain was a single galaxy, that's still a vastly huge area compared to what we currently experience. And a single galaxy is tiny compared with the universe. Adonalsium need not be God of the entire universe (as the universe is unfathomably vast), but could control a region so large from the perspective of a single planet, he may as well be considered a God.

Also, there doesn't have to be just 16 Shards. I thought 16 was Preservation's number, not necessarily anything that we could apply to all Shards. Now, there could be 16 Shards, but I don't know yet. We shall see.

I would think that Adonalsium would have a conscious aspect to it, considering how important a conscious aspect is to a Shard.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2009, 04:13:22 AM »
Also, there doesn't have to be just 16 Shards. I thought 16 was Preservation's number, not necessarily anything that we could apply to all Shards. Now, there could be 16 Shards, but I don't know yet. We shall see.
I'm pretty sure one of Sazed's chapter headings says something about the number 16 being fundamental to a lot more than just Preservation and Ruin.

Edit: Found it.  Chapter 71.
As for the other aspects of the number . . . well, even I am still investigating that.  Suffice it to say that it has great ramifications regarding how the world, and the universe itself, works.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:27:10 AM by douglas »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2009, 04:21:09 AM »
It's quite possible. I'll check my copy of Hero of Ages for a confirmation on that. I'd like to get that chapter heading explicitly quoted here anyways. It would be better for the hypotheses :D

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2009, 04:27:50 AM »
Bah, should have checked for a new post before editing.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2009, 04:31:47 AM »
Here is the entire quote.  From Chapter 71 epigraph.

Quote from: Sazed
There is something special about the number sixteen.  For one thing, it was Preservation's sign to mankind.

Preservation knew, even before he imprisoned Ruin, that he wouldn't be able to communicate with humankind once he diminished himself.  And so, he left clues - clues that couldn't be altered by Ruin.  Clues that related back to the fundamental laws of the universe.  The number was meant to be proof that something unnatural was happening, and that there was help to be found.

It may have taken us long to figure this out, but when we eventually did understand the clue - late though it was - it provided a much-needed boos.

As for the other aspects of the number . . . well, even I am still investigating that.  Suffice it to tsay that it has great ramifications regarding how the world, and the universe itself, works.

So it is more important than just in the Hamland.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2009, 05:34:14 AM »
Thanks miyabi. That definitely hints at it being extremely fundamental.

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »
I see. Point taken.
So maybe there are 16 entites like Adonalsium, and... who knows where it may end? Maybe there are 16 universes, and so on..........  :-X
I hope BS will stop at Adonalsium, or we can get dizzy  8)

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »
I actually postulated sixteen shards some time ago.

Then I thought "Why not 16 squared?  256 shards?  Or how about 16^16, which is about 1.84x10^19?"

So while I still think sixteen shards makes the most sense, I'm not about to restrict myself to that idea.
Nature hates being reified.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
Thing is it might be a moderator's view too.  He was trying to help you, really.

I suspect sarah is female :P
:o Ahahahahahaha I forgot to look at who was posting what!  And I can't pretend it was a typo because I capitalized the "H"!

Back on the Shards, though.  Is it possible that some of the Shards themselves split into lesser Shards or "Slivers"?  Meh, I guess 16 is a big enough number to make a good number of books with.

One question to ask, I guess, is how the number 16 ties in with what we've observed about the magic systems in Elantris and Warbreaker.  Yeah....I can't think of anything right now.

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2009, 10:32:06 PM »

Back on the Shards, though.  Is it possible that some of the Shards themselves split into lesser Shards or "Slivers"?  Meh, I guess 16 is a big enough number to make a good number of books with.

One question to ask, I guess, is how the number 16 ties in with what we've observed about the magic systems in Elantris and Warbreaker.  Yeah....I can't think of anything right now.

Maybe there are 16 tiers in Awakening, but surely there are more than 16 Aons, although maybe there are only 16 basic lines to draw Aons.

Anyway, I liked that word, "Slivers". Don't you remember having seen it written somewhere? Oh, yeah, about hundreds of times in Mistborn: Final Empire.
So, that's kind of a thought.  ???

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07:45 AM »
Back on the Shards, though.  Is it possible that some of the Shards themselves split into lesser Shards or "Slivers"? 

No, not slivers! We want no possibility of Brandon dying before he finishes writing about all 16 shards and their 16 slivers.

Anyway, I liked that word, "Slivers". Don't you remember having seen it written somewhere? Oh, yeah, about hundreds of times in Mistborn: Final Empire.
So, that's kind of a thought.  ???

Well, the Lord Ruler may have known some things about the cosmology of the universe since he did use the power in the well of ascension. Sazed appears to understand a lot, although he does have two shards. I guess "sliver of infinity" actually makes sense.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott