Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 76273 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 04:41:50 PM »
Is it possible that the shards bridge the dimensions between creation and the current universe??? I mean the mechanics of the AonDor seem like it to me.

P.S. I know there will be certain amount of similarities to all the shards but acting like they follow the exact rules of Scardiel is asinine the 2 opposite powers and a natural power doesn't work on all the worlds explain Warbreaker if you think it does...

P.S.S. how do "natural" powers come into existence is it because humans on Scardiel are part of preseveration and if thats the case why can't mistborn reverse aging?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »
Just thought of something else...I hope there isn't a blood magic in some unknown shard vampires books have become way too much of a fad...not to mention ruined the myths behind them... :'(
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2009, 05:44:29 PM »
Just a tip, Champion Kaz - to avoid double-posting, you can look at your previous post and hit the "modify" button.  Please review the forum etiquette guidelines.
He ate my horse.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »
Okay, so here's a theory. On page 513 of Mistborn: The Hero of Ages, Vin mentions that metal is power, and that is why neither she nor Ruin can observe it. However, all of the Scadrial magic uses metal as it's focus.

So what I wonder is if every Shard's focus corresponds to a real-world source of power. Scadrial focuses on metals, or maybe technology, Elantrian magic focuses on writing and language, and Hallandren magic focuses on words and communication. If this is the case, I have no idea what Lightweaving (Hoid's Shards magic, I assume.) does. Any thoughts?

I think it is far more accurate to say that Hallandren magic focuses on color and life.

I mean, the "fuel" is called biochrome, for crying out loud!
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »
I understand how to edit my post it was a different topic of discussion so i put it in a different post if you viewed it as inapporpriate well that's your view...

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2009, 03:38:05 AM »
Thing is it might be a moderator's view too.  He was trying to help you, really.

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
Is it possible that the shards bridge the dimensions between creation and the current universe??? I mean the mechanics of the AonDor seem like it to me.

P.S. I know there will be certain amount of similarities to all the shards but acting like they follow the exact rules of Scardiel is asinine the 2 opposite powers and a natural power doesn't work on all the worlds explain Warbreaker if you think it does...

P.S.S. how do "natural" powers come into existence is it because humans on Scardiel are part of preseveration and if thats the case why can't mistborn reverse aging?

Well, as I saw it when read one of BS posts regarding that, it seems that there is a Power, the power or energy of Creation itself (I believe this is Adonalsium). This Power of Creation resides in the Shards. And the magic systems are just different methods to channel or focus that power to create the "magic effects". That is the similarity I see in the different worlds and magic systems.
Of course, every world would have different numbers, styles and philophies of magic systems. I believe the three worlds we've seen so far (I'm counting only the "public" ones) are very different to each other, but all have these characteristics: there are Humans in it (although it seems that every species is very different from each other); there is "magic" available to some (some being a number largely over the typical fantasy worlds); and these "magic" comes from one of the Shards. Also, we could see the "focus" and "fuel" as a similarity in each world, but this is something less factual (although "factual" is too strong a word for the theorizing we're up in here....).

I don't think that there are "natural" powers in Scradial or any other of the worlds. I can't find the quote right now, but it is the HoA thread, BS said something like "each magic system is there because every race and people have a different genetic pool".
That is, that in every world there are individuals who can bear different magics, depending on the Shard that created sentient life in that world and the specifics of the individual races in each world. That explains why only Arelenes can have Elantrian magic (as explained, there were people who could use the Dor before Elantris, and those people build Elantris as a giant amplifier), only Terrispeople are Feruchemists and so on.
It seems in Warbreaker everybody has Breath and can use it, but that is much to say right now.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »
Thing is it might be a moderator's view too.  He was trying to help you, really.

I suspect sarah is female :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Eleaneth

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »
Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers.  The form of that super fuel is important.  In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal.  In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing.  In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future.  In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation.  (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

I'm curious--if the pool by Elantris is the essence of a shard, what is it capable of beyond releasing Elantrians?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:35:19 PM by Eleaneth »
"Yes," Elend said softly. "The law allows for you to change your vote, Lord Habren. You may only do so once, and must do so before the winner is declared. Everyone else has the same opportunity."
-- The Well of Ascension

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »
Probably nothing.  Even if it is the odds of us seeing what else can do are slim to none because EUOL has said that if there is a sequel to Elantris it will not take place in Arelon.  I believe he said it'd take place in Teod. . . I think.  I personally would like a sequel to take place in Fjordell, but that's me.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 07:33:30 PM »
I suspect sarah is female :P

Oh, no, my secret is out!  (What was your first clue?)   ;)

Sarcasm aside, thanks for the defense, Cosmic.  As you said, I was just trying to help Kaz get acquainted with forum culture.
He ate my horse.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
Why does everyone take my comments as a personal attack if  wanted to make one it would be insulting someones intelligence or inbreeding ect... it hurts sooo much :'(

P.S. no i'm not that sensitive i was raised by lawyers hence i have no heart but i wasn't trying to attack you sarah...

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »
Why does everyone take my comments as a personal attack if  wanted to make one it would be insulting someones intelligence or inbreeding ect... it hurts sooo much :'(

P.S. no i'm not that sensitive i was raised by lawyers hence i have no heart but i wasn't trying to attack you sarah...
I don't think they took it as you attacking Sarah.  I think it was that you were blatantly saying "I don't care about the forum etiquette/rules unless I get in trouble."  I think that's what it was taken as.  At least that's how it read to me.

Back on topic though guys.

Alatar - I don't think that Adonalsium is "creation".  I think that creation may be a part of Adonalsium, but not it's main purpose.  You know how scientists are always asking the question about what holds everything together and keeps everything moving?  I think that's what Adonalsium is meant to represent.  Although there are times when it's power is condensed for one reason or another and thus we get shards.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
Alatar - I don't think that Adonalsium is "creation".  I think that creation may be a part of Adonalsium, but not it's main purpose.  You know how scientists are always asking the question about what holds everything together and keeps everything moving?  I think that's what Adonalsium is meant to represent.  Although there are times when it's power is condensed for one reason or another and thus we get shards.[/color]

I agree, I wouldn't call Adonalsium "creation". We know that 2 of the shards together (preservation + ruin) can be used to create. I guess it is hard to know what the whole thing does since we only know what some of the shards are right now. If there are 16 total shards, we are missing a lot of pieces still. Also, were all the shards actually together at one point? The term "shards" implies this. If that is the case, what made all the shards break apart?
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »
I have been assuming that Adonalsium was a person or god of some sort.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!