Author Topic: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium  (Read 76195 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILERS! The Shards of Adonalsium
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2009, 06:59:29 AM »
Perhaps Sliver or Sliver of Infinity is a term used to describe one who has been bound to a Shard or used it's power.

That would make Hoid, Kelsier, Vin, and all the actual Shards Slivers as well.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
I'm thinking of another use for Sliver.
As we know, it takes a Shard to share something of Itself to create sentient life. So, why couldn't every Human in the series be a Sliver of Infinity?
Maybe it was something ironic or subtle on TLR side, because it was true to call him Sliver of Infinity (read Adonalsium) and it was true for everyone, but was just so cool that he took it for himself  8)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
I always thought the title Sliver of Infinity was a reference to the fact that he had touched godhood at the well of ascension. He had the power of a god -- and a portion of the power that created the universe. (Adonalsium) In his own theology the Lord Ruler called himself a god -- but, of course, he was only pretending.

Of course Alatar in Mormon theology (correct me if im wrong) all humans are gods, or at least hold the potential to be one. So you could be right too.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »
I have a feeling that one of the purposes of a second Mistborn trilogy will be that once we've gotten more books and seen more of Adonalsium and Hoid, it will give us a chance to see them again, and maybe get some more hints or even explanations from Sazed.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »
On that note, miyabi, I'm really excited for Way of Kings. Ten books, ten magic systems..... ten shards?

Reaves, you are correct, Mormon doctrine holds that all human beings have the potential to become gods. However, it doesn't say that we are. Because we aren't. But we could be. Eventually.

Perhaps Sliver or Sliver of Infinity is a term used to describe one who has been bound to a Shard or used it's power.

That would make Hoid, Kelsier, Vin, and all the actual Shards Slivers as well.

Woah, where'd Kelsier come from? Has he been bound to a shard/used its power that I'm not aware of? Or am I being really stupid and forgetting something?

Anyway, another thing that has been intriguing me is whether or not each individual shard has its own aspect. Ruin and Preservation both did, and if the others are all pieces of the same thing (which one would assume...) then it makes sense that they all inherit a single aspect of the overall personality of the entity which the shards all came from. So then, what else would they be?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2009, 12:34:12 AM »
I can see Hoid and Vin and Sazed being shards, but Kel?? Not seeing that.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2009, 01:29:59 AM »
For those of you protesting Kell having been part of a shard, Brandon stated in the Q&A that between Leras' death and Vin's ascension, Kelsier took some degree of control over Preservation's power.  Not as much as Vin, I would guess, but enough that he was able to get through to Spook a couple of times.

Reread Spook's POV, especially during the fire.  The hints are pretty clear once you know what you're looking for.
Nature hates being reified.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50:14 AM »
That wasn't Kel. . . that was Ruin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2009, 02:17:35 AM »
Most of them were Ruin, but there was one, maybe two that looked like Kell. And I do definitely remember Brandon mentioning that.
Also, I'm not sure but didn't Spook hear Kell's voice after the spike had been removed?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2009, 02:39:04 AM »
Yes, Kel spoke to Spook twice. Which I guess would mean that he was using some aspect of Preservation.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »
That wasn't Kel. . . that was Ruin.

Well, of course it mostly was Ruin masquerading as Kell, in fact.  That's quite obvious.

There are a couple of times, though, especially after he removed the spike, where he still gets hints of a voice telling him what to do.  Those hints are much less clear than Ruin, and when he follows them, things work out much, much better for all involved.  Except for Ruin, of course.

The most important bit, and easily the clearest, is when Kell (really Kell) speaks to him in a dream after he's been so badly burned.  That's the reason he sends off the letter warning about how metal taints a person, which gets found by Marsh, who uses it to free Vin so she can absorb the mists.  So this plot point is actually a key part of the whole story.
Nature hates being reified.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2009, 02:23:22 AM »
I don't remember where, but somewhere Brandon pretty explicitly stated that when Preservation's "owner" died, Kelsier was waiting at the edge of whatever afterlife-world he was in, ready to seize that power for himself for a bit.

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »
i think that brandon won't limit himself to 16 shards. i mean on one planet there are two shards. each shard probabaly has slivers of itself. and who ever metioned that the way of kings will have ten different shards and magic systems, i think there will be 2-5 magic systems in the entire series and 1-4 shards.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2009, 07:57:25 PM »
i think that brandon won't limit himself to 16 shards. i mean on one planet there are two shards. each shard probabaly has slivers of itself. and who ever metioned that the way of kings will have ten different shards and magic systems, i think there will be 2-5 magic systems in the entire series and 1-4 shards.
Brandon himself has stated there will be 10 magic systems.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
interesting theory.
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com