Author Topic: Book Review Site  (Read 22230 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Book Review Site
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
Now i must ask, with the name of the blog, being what it is, who is the target? Are you mocking yourselves, Senator Clinton, or the biggot who yells at children who play on his lawn?

yes.  :P

Daniel Abraham's books must not have sold very well.

They didn't.  That was what he said in the announcement for this next series.  I really don't understand how, with such good reviews, people didn't buy this guy's books.  I hope that readers will rectify this for his next series.  He deserves our attention.

I remember when Abraham's first book came out. It was like it was snuck onto our shelves at the book store. I think the issue was that there was no marketing done to push his book - and let's face it, Tor cant push everyone. It also didn't help that he was releasing a 4-book series. It seems like the thing to do now is release all your books in your first series in a short time-span. It gets your name out there, and you fill your slot on the shelves faster. Abraham didn't have that advantage.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Slamel

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
Now i must ask, with the name of the blog, being what it is, who is the target? Are you mocking yourselves, Senator Clinton, or the biggot who yells at children who play on his lawn?

The name originated from a conversation I was having with a journalist who is obsessed with Stephen King's The Stand.  I took the position of trashing the book, and the other guy called me a Pretentious Literary Elitist.  Steve and I thought it was hilarious and both of us knew it was true, so we figured why not admit to our awesomeness and tell everyone just how awesome we really are.  As much fun as it is to make fun of Sen. Clinton and that bigot, we are really just mocking ourselves.

By the way, to echo Steve, thanks to everyone for the support and compliments for the website.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
Ah, Slamel! Or should I say Lord Aellinsar, Betrayer of Hope? I thought you died at the end of ACoS....
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Slamel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 04:00:28 AM »
Oh please.  Sammael has nothing on me!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 04:33:02 AM »
Come now, if you've learned anything about me, it's that I have an ability to be completely bored and unimpressed with all things WoT after book 3. Would I really co-run a book review site with someone who would use a handle named after one of the pathetic villians of the novel? Dont be silly. "Slamel" stands for something completely un-book-related.

On that note, WoT is godlike to us when compared to Goodkind (says something right?). Anyone want to buy us a copy of Goodkinds newest that comes out next week so we can review it like we did Twilight? We'll send the book back. In one piece even.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 05:01:46 AM »
While I would love to see you guys take Goodkind apart, I'm morally opposed to giving him my money*. :P

*Any more of my money. In the interests of honesty, I have paperbacks of most of the SOT series. One of these days I may even bother to go out to a library and read the last one.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 06:30:45 AM »
Oh please.  Sammael has nothing on me!
I can still call you Lord Slamel though, right? Of course, the only worthwhile villain in WoT is Fain. None of the others scare me in the slightest.
Come now, if you've learned anything about me, it's that I have an ability to be completely bored and unimpressed with all things WoT after book 3. Would I really co-run a book review site with someone who would use a handle named after one of the pathetic villians of the novel? Dont be silly. "Slamel" stands for something completely un-book-related.
Is a "villian" a resident of a village? Because that's what they should be.

Goodkind doesn't deserve a mention. Dang it. I just mentioned him again. Can that be a the forum rule? "We don't talk about Goodkind."

I really wish you had said un-book related. Goodkind is un-book related.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Slamel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
Lord Slamel?  I suppose.  I am pretty villianous.  Just ask Dan about my character traits if I were to be made an RPG character.

Can that be a the forum rule? "We don't talk about Goodkind."

If Bakker had a monkey he would name one of them Terry and try not to look at it.  Sounds like a good forum rule to me.

I personally think the scariest villian in WoT was Perrin's beard.  But that incredibly engaging rivalry was concluded early on, leaving us with only Nynaeve and her braid.  A tragic waste of conflict in my opinion.  However, at least we got a dozen pages or so of the battle between Perrin and his facial hair.  The very epitome of Epic Fantasy.  I heard a rumor that one of the side story novels Jordan was planning to write was about the travels of Perrin's beard after it's disgraceful defeat.  I, for one, vote yes on that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:09:17 PM by Slamel »

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »
One of these days I may even bother to go out to a library and read the last [Goodkind Book].

Don't.  Seriously.  It was such a waste of time.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 05:13:17 PM »
It is with a heavy heart, Steve, that I return from your review site after reading the post for Devices and Desires.

You didn't like it? :o Noooooooooooooo!

The Engineer trilogy by KJ Parker is, perhaps, one of my absolute favorite series.  Now, granted, I understand that this might have something to do with the fact that...confession time...I'm an engineer.  :D

I have to say that I do agree with you about the fallacy of the crux of the book:  engineers are masters of manipulating machinery and manipulating people as you would a machine should be just as easy.  And yet, even though that statement is false, I think to a certain degree there's a measure of pomposity in the minds of most engineers that makes them think it could be true.  So, the fact that the main character thinks this way isn't necessarily way out there, it's just that everything works out for him so well that makes the story unbelievable.  But if you can get over that "little" hump?  Man.  There's some really good character building and storyline to be had in this book and the other two in the trilogy.  I mean, seriously, you can't say you didn't nearly fall out of your seat when the random POV soldier came along with his army to burn the grain silo.  Or the scene where they make the cannon?  Intense.  (Both scenes in Escapement, I think)  Anyhow, It's that kind of stuff that I live for in books.

Ah well.  At least you gave em a try.  I still need to give Malazan another go sometime...
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 05:23:28 PM »

Don't.  Seriously.  It was such a waste of time.

Haha. Duly noted.

Actually, I've heard it's a fun read as long as one doesn't expect it to be, you know, a good book.  Heard that from a few people now. ::)

Still enjoying your reviews, guys. :)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
It is with a heavy heart, Steve, that I return from your review site after reading the post for Devices and Desires.

You didn't like it? :o Noooooooooooooo!

The Engineer trilogy by KJ Parker is, perhaps, one of my absolute favorite series.  Now, granted, I understand that this might have something to do with the fact that...confession time...I'm an engineer.  :D

I have to say that I do agree with you about the fallacy of the crux of the book:  engineers are masters of manipulating machinery and manipulating people as you would a machine should be just as easy.  And yet, even though that statement is false, I think to a certain degree there's a measure of pomposity in the minds of most engineers that makes them think it could be true.  So, the fact that the main character thinks this way isn't necessarily way out there, it's just that everything works out for him so well that makes the story unbelievable.  But if you can get over that "little" hump?  Man.  There's some really good character building and storyline to be had in this book and the other two in the trilogy.  I mean, seriously, you can't say you didn't nearly fall out of your seat when the random POV soldier came along with his army to burn the grain silo.  Or the scene where they make the cannon?  Intense.  (Both scenes in Escapement, I think)  Anyhow, It's that kind of stuff that I live for in books.

Ah well.  At least you gave em a try.  I still need to give Malazan another go sometime...

It's not that we didn't like it. There were some cool sections. But the overall feeling was, "meh." it was certainly better than many of the recent books we have read, but not good enough to say, "Hey I liked this!" We wanted to, but a big logic flaw like the "I'm an engineer, so I can manipulate ANYTHING!!!!" kinda ruins it for us. Though, considering you are an engineer, I am not surprised in the least that you liked it. You identify more with the character and his machinations than we did. It allowed you to forgive some of the icky points. I'd ask that you comment on the site for us stating your view on the engineering aspect of the character. It may help some potential readers make a decision. :)

We have great books for the next 2 days. I'm excited for people to read them and the reviews.

Slamel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 03:37:03 AM »
Oh I didn't realize you posted this here too.  I responded on the actual review to your comment..

Think of it this way.  If you have any experience with playing RPGs you will know a rule of thumb for a GM is to put the characters in a position that their strengths are mitigated, or focus on their weaknesses.  For example, if you have a character with wings, put them in a building, cave, etc. where that character can't fly.  If you have a mage with 5 fire spells, make 6 monsters attack.  It adds more conflict, and more interest and forces the player to think a bit more.

I feel like this could have been applicable somewhat.  Vaatzes obviously is a master engineer, which is really, really cool, but he has no conflict.  He just breezes through everything manipulating those around him, with hardly a thought or effort.  BORING.

Basically, I appreciate your comment about the pomposity.  A lot.  I think the story could have been absolutely magnificent if Parker had focused on that, but then had Vaatzes discover that he was wrong and COULD NOT manipulate people the same way he does his machines.  That would have been a much more interesting story.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
You know what I love? I love when authors email you telling you they appreciate a good review, and how they love the style of the reviews - it makes me feel all warm and squishy inside. And I love it even more when they quote you as one of their principle US reviews. James Barclay is awesome in this very fashion. After blogging and Twittering about us, he offered to do an interview with us. Do you see why we love British fantasy? They books are great, and the authors may be some of the nicest people on the planet.

Slamel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Elitist Book Reviews
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
Well.  Its done.  The Law of Nines review is posted.  Enjoy.  Now I feel the need to go shower and scrub with ajax and bleach after subjecting myself to Goodkind once more.