Author Topic: Official Typos Thread -- All of Brandon's books  (Read 67210 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Typos Thread -- All of Brandon's books
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »

Unfortunately, there are going to be mistakes that slip through. I'm going to push for twice as much time to proofread the next book as I got for this one. =\

Speaking of, when does the next one get started?  Is he just doing AMoL next year or is he starting on something else?

Also, while I'm asking What's he planning for YA next year?

(Sorry, slightly off topic.  Also, I asked these questions on FaceBook, but I felt I'd be more likely to get an answer here.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »
He shouldn't start the next one until he's done with AMoL. As for a YA book, I don't think it's public info or necessarily decided.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:48:30 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
I might have found an error in Hero of Ages, though it is obviously far too late to correct it. It is in both the hardcover and the paperback.

Page 313 of the paperback:

For example, all of the original Inquisitors were given a pewter spike, which--after first being pounded through the body of a Feruchemist--gave the Inquisitor the ability to store up healing power. ...This, obviously, is where the Inquisitors got their infamous ability to recover from wounds quickly, and was also why they needed to rest so much.

It's not a typo, but it isn't consistent with the properties of Hemalurgy. Pewter spikes steal "Feruchemical Physical Powers", but health is not a physical Feruchemical power. Gold stores health, and that's a temporal metal, not a physical one.

In fact, it is unknown what metal spike steals Feruchemical Temporal powers. I'm assuming it's gold, but that's not confirmed anywhere.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Azulmar

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2010, 11:46:32 PM »
TGS ch 8  pg 149 

Siuan talking of the twisted ring ter'angreal 

"She would have liked to have the original ring, but that was carefully kept by the Sitters"

The last i checked the original ring was with Elayne in Caemlyn (WH ch 10) and later gives it to Aviendha when she leaves for Arad Doman (KoD ch 15)

So was Siuan mistaken or was this just a slip ?

KZK

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2010, 12:44:28 AM »
This is a version of The Typos/Errata I posted on the giant tor thread <http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/10/the-wheel-of-time-the-gathering-storm-review-with-spoilers> way last year.  Since the thread now throws up an error page, I'm reposting it here.

----

Known / Suspected Errata (The Gathering Storm, Hardcover 1st Ed):

Other posters have picked up some unusual Idiom that is very out of place in the WoT: "Do the Math", "Saidared", "politicking", "homicidal", "compulsed", "Bloody Ashes", "bust", Etc.

Chapter 1: The Idiom 'Pawn' is used by Rand. Randland doesn't seem to have chess or chess idioms, Pawn is not used in any other WoT book except once to sell something (as in Pawn shop). See  http://dposey.no-ip.com/IdealSeek/IdealSeek.cgi?q=pawn

Chapter 2: Egwene thinks all the SAS spies were gray.  It's clear in that scene that Egwene thinks all of the spies are Grey. Elaida knows who all of the spies are, and they are not all Grey. Beonin warned all the spies, who again, are not all Grey.

Chapter 5: It's cute how Cads doesn't remove the air weave from Semi's ears to let Merise think she is still questioning her, but wouldn't Merise notice the weave of air hadn't been dissipated?

Chapter 6: Turan says "save face".  What he probably should have said was something along these lines: that she would break him to prevent having her eyes lowered for a period of time.

Chapter 6: Leane says "Palace Guards", which it seems to me should actually be "Tower Guards", as I don't think of the WT as a palace nor reason for Elaida's "palace" to have guards visiting Leane.

Chapter 8: Siuan says "one of the two others" which should be "three"  The next phrase "The other" should also be changed to "Another".

Chapter 8+: Starting in chapter 8 "Great Captain" is replaced by "general" in most cases where it should not have been.  Jordan only used general in a few particular instances: "Captain General" of Queens guards, "Banner General" of Seanchan forces, Etc. See http://dposey.no-ip.com/IdealSeek/IdealSeek.cgi?q=general

Chapter 12: Missing word: Had.  "It was the first time Egwene [had] been ordered to attend one of them."

Chapter 12: Shienar Sword.  "Shienarian" OR was it "Shienaran" would be more correct.

Chapter 13: Gawyn refers to Egwene as a "Pawn".

Chapter 19: Tuon thinks about Suroth: "The deathwatch guard saw to her, at least until her hair grew out." Which is written in the past tense like this had already happened, yet a few paragraphs earlier, we learn that this is the day after Tuon has returned / Made Suroth Da'Covale.

Chapter 19: Galgan claims the WT are Rand's "Pawns".

Chapter 20: Typo page 314: "Cairhien in fashion" should be Cairhienin unless it was meant as the "in fashion" in Cairhien, which is a very awkward phrasing.

Chapter 20: Joline's Math is off per Warders calculation.  Others have written of this.

Chapter 21: "stands of long, thin grasses".  Seems like this should be "strands".

Chapter 24: Gawyn Refers to Egwene as a "Pawn", Again.

Chapter 25: Missing word: She.  "But [she] would lose a great deal of credibility."

Chapter 27: Typo: "If course I need you, Thom!", should be "Of".

Chapter 28: "The town unravels at night, and then the world tries to reset it each morning to make things right again."  Shouldn't it be the "wheel" that is doing the resetting?  The "world" is afterall an artifact of the wheel and the pattern.

Chapter 33: page 517, typo: "He had done barely anything!" should be "He had barely done anything!"

Chapter 40-1: Possible error with how rings and angreal work in tower battle.  Others have written of this.

Chapter 42: Typo Page 658: "pendants" should be pennants.

Chapter 45: Typo Page 703: "Now Egwene understand" should be "Now Egwene understood".

Chapter 46: Typo Page 721: "division on the" should be "division in the"

Chapter 50: Rand holds his head in his Hands (plural).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:57:34 AM by KZK »

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2010, 04:24:07 AM »
And the typo report barrage begins!  8)

The Way of Kings, hardcover 1st edition:

Page 33.6  "Still standing on the side of the wall, Szeth groaned, climbing to his feet." If he's already standing, how does he climb to his feet?

Page 55.3 "Kaladin sat back down to floor of the wagon..." Missing a "the" between "to" and "floor". And, if I may be so bold, I think "sank" works better in that sentence than "sat".

Page 150.2 "Kaladin's own team had lost nearly enough stop them." Missing a "to".

Page 170.7 "You asked right questions?" Missing a "the". Not sure if this is an error, or an attempt to portray an accent. It makes me think Blunt sounds like a Russian.

Page 193.3 "When Dalinar and the king rode up, and adolin spoke quickly before Sadeas could speak." I'm no grammarian, so I'm probably embarrassing myself right now, but I think what's wrong with this sentence is that it's a fragment. To fix it, I'd remove the "When" on the front.

Edit:
Page 198.4 "Insulting others was beneath the dignity the king..." missing an "of".

Edit 2:
Page 238.3 "...it was a shameful secret he hide."

Edit 3:
251.3 "Oddly, he noticed a group older boys gathering..." Missing an "of".

260.5 "I saw some of reeds of it growing..." Superfluous "of".

Edit 4:
281.6 "He'd given both to Elhokar to award to a warrior..." Extra "to".

334.7 "'Highprinces and lighteyes,' Elhokar's suddenly proclaimed." Unnecessary posessive on Elhokar.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:06:41 AM by ryos »
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Tosh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2010, 06:23:42 AM »
The Way of Kings - Page 880.

"What would happened to him, if Tarah hadn't coaxed him out of his single-minded dedication? Would he have burned himself out, as she claimed?"

I think Tarah = Larah.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
Larah? Do you mean Laral? This is actually talking about someone else named Tarah.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tosh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:56 AM »
Larah? Do you mean Laral? This is actually talking about someone else named Tarah.
There are?
Then my mistake.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:36:27 PM by Tosh »

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
More from WoK:

390 Kaladin lights his torch twice on this page: once immediately after touching down, and again after Rock and Teft arrive.

416.14 "The longer her worked, the more people gathered..."

421.2 "Well, I do have reputation to maintain." a reputation

432.4 "It had been five months since Vstim become her babsk..."

469.15 "A true scholar must not close her mind close on any topic."

584.11 "Was it angry at being forced belong the horizon?"

593.5 "That wasn't what decided it for her, however, The truth was..." The comma after the "however" was likely intended to be a period.

mikehandy

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »
Way of Kings page 207 line 33:

"shafts bristled form the chasmfiend's face."

"Form" should be "from."

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2010, 11:57:35 PM »
390 Kaladin lights his torch twice on this page: once immediately after touching down, and again after Rock and Teft arrive.

Yeah, I saw this one and laughed because after mentioning him lighting it a second time he mentions that they are rationing the torches.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2010, 11:21:34 AM »
And yet more:

604.8 "Kaladin knew what happening to him." Missing a "was".
609.2 "...what was hope it except another opportunity..." Stray "it".
691.10 "It will take time, but promise you if we staet here..." Missing an "I"
694.11 "Maybe you'll you happen upon..." Extra "you".
695.4 "...capable in stances they had only been just been taught..." Extra "been".
698.15 "Jasna's quieter, move justified anger was no less daunting." "Move" should be "more".
703.8 "Coreb's fell to his knees and began to beg." Extra possessive on Coreb.

Edit:
730.10 "They ran shoulder to shoulder, not a single one of place." Out of place.
731.1 "That meant so far as he knew, there were less than hundred Blades..."  a/one hundred Blades.
732.8 "Dalinar He caught up to the..." Dalinar is superfluous.
733.8 "I have said I that cannot be of much help to you."
735.13 "That was very same reason they didn't let..." The very same reason.
745.4 "He looked up with as Kaladin and the members of..."
760.9 "I haven't give up on you yet, Dalinar."
770.7 "You're not going be like Rock..." not going TO be like Rock
773.8 "...and a group of many-legged cremlings scuttling along along the wall and slipped into a fissure." scuttled
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:33:30 PM by ryos »

mikehandy

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
Way of Kings hc page 416 line 31:
"The longer her worked"
"her" should be "he"

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2010, 01:33:09 AM »
Edit 4:
281.6 "He'd given both to Elhokar to award to a warrior..." Extra "to".
I actually think that that "to" should stay, the meaning is subtely different without it.