Author Topic: Greatest Feat of Strength when burning Pewter?  (Read 6300 times)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Greatest Feat of Strength when burning Pewter?
« on: June 09, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »
Hey guys,

So I am running a GURPS Infinity game with some friends next week, the Infinity settings involves a large organization that has learned how to travel to parallel earths using technology.The characters patrol and police the alternate earths and can come from all sorts of backgrounds.

One player wants to play a Mistborn.

So, I'm going to be doing some conversions over the next few days for him. The metal I'm having the most trouble with is Pewter. I'm trying to determine how much it would strengthen someone when being burned, flared, etc.

Can anyone remember some of the impressive feats that the characters were able to pull off while burning pewter? I know Vin and others survive some really nasty wounds while burning pewter. I'm trying to remember if it talks about how fast they heal while burning it.

I'm also trying to find examples of great feats of strength, etc. Lifting things, would be the best examples probably.

Can you guys think of any examples that would help me?
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest Feat of Strength when burning Pewter?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:15:13 AM »
Haha, another thing I just thought of:

Do you think a Mistborn could push away bullets before they hit him?

MistbornINQ

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:49 AM »
I seriously doubt that a mistborn could push away bullets. Given the momentum the bullets have when fired, even though they weigh less than the Mistborn, it depends on the force behind them as well as their weight doesnt it?

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:45:10 AM »
I seriously doubt that a mistborn could push away bullets. Given the momentum the bullets have when fired, even though they weigh less than the Mistborn, it depends on the force behind them as well as their weight doesnt it?

My guess would be that they could push bullets if they were doing a flare pushing all metals away or just to deflect slightly, but it would be very difficult to do just out of the blue due to the sheer speeds that bullets travel.  If you add atium to the mix, then yes every time.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
I think I've come to the conclusion that Mistborn could, in fact deflect bullets. In fact, I wonder if it would even be that hard.

For one, the coins they shoot must be approaching bullet speeds anyway. These are dull edged coins, not sharpened arrowheads, yet they tear through flesh with a lot more force then an arrow. Don't most of the coins go THROUGH the persons hit by them?

Also, after just rereading that passage when Vin opens the big vault door by pulling on the metal in it and the metal plate behind it, I'm even more inclined to believe that they can generate the force needed.

The only question would be how long could they sustain a 'push'? You don't know when the trigger is going to be pulled, and once its pulled its too late. But then again, seems that you have the same problem with coinshots, so I think Yes, a Mistborn can deflect bullets.

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »

I'd say a mistborn would have no problem at least bending the trajectory of the bullets before they reach him.
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »

I'd say a mistborn would have no problem at least bending the trajectory of the bullets before they reach him.

Yes, I think so. Erik is right. The coins are allot like bullets except there bigger and are't fired from a gun, but they do go all the way through a body while bullets get stuck within the body.
If a player had pewter they could have invinsability when a player try and attack him/her because if I remember correctly Vin was always blocking blows and breaking canes in the process.
I don't think pewter hleps them heal but kinda stops the body from giving up. Gives it a boost. I'll have to check on that one though...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:02:45 AM by Bastille »
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

KChan

• Level 2
  • Eep.
    • View Profile
    • K-chan's DA
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »
We have seen examples of people being up and around faster with the use of Pewter, actually. I think I remember Vin specifically mentioning a certain someone's remarkable recovery (I'll not say who to avoid spoilers; see the beginning of Hero of Ages) thanks to Pewter. There's also the fact that it keeps you going through extreme exhaustion.

As to great feats of strength, I can't really think of any spectacular displays, but I did come up with a couple examples.

1) Despite Pushing with all her might on a large, heavy metal door and a giant stained glass window, Vin not only remains in one piece but apparently suffers no ill effects. Adrenaline might have had something to do with it at the time, but she does mention Pewter keeping her from being crushed under her own power.

2) The only example I can remember off the top of my head of someone lifting anything would be Vin shouldering a Koloss sword in the Battle of Luthadel. Those things are massive - apparently Vin's was almost as big as she was - but she not only picks it up and walks off with it, but later also swings it around and uses it to deadly effect as though it were the easiest thing in the world. The important thing to remember here is Vin's size. She's tiny, yet that giant Koloss sword was no problem for her.

That's all I can think of right now, but I hope it helps.

Mistborn: The Inquisition RPG

Graphic used with permission.

Euphrasie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
The bullet question might be theoretical unless it was a surprise attack.  In any other fight, a mistborn could just push all the guns themselves away.  Unless someone gets tricksy with a ceramic gun or something.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
The bullet question might be theoretical unless it was a surprise attack.  In any other fight, a mistborn could just push all the guns themselves away.  Unless someone gets tricksy with a ceramic gun or something.

You couldn't really surprise the Mistborn ebcause they can sense out metals as well, can't they?
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
The problem with bending the bullets trajectory is that if its fired directly at the Mistborn, they can only push it back in the direction it came from. I think it would take mad quick skills with Atium to make any difference at all.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 11:51:08 PM »
I think I've come to the conclusion that Mistborn could, in fact deflect bullets. In fact, I wonder if it would even be that hard.

For one, the coins they shoot must be approaching bullet speeds anyway. These are dull edged coins, not sharpened arrowheads, yet they tear through flesh with a lot more force then an arrow. Don't most of the coins go THROUGH the persons hit by them?

Also, after just rereading that passage when Vin opens the big vault door by pulling on the metal in it and the metal plate behind it, I'm even more inclined to believe that they can generate the force needed.

The only question would be how long could they sustain a 'push'? You don't know when the trigger is going to be pulled, and once its pulled its too late. But then again, seems that you have the same problem with coinshots, so I think Yes, a Mistborn can deflect bullets.

I believe a new pair of metals slow down time or speeds it up....Cadmium and I think it was cerrobend, but it could have been changed.Pushing can be sustained as long as the blue line is there.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 12:22:09 AM »
One thing to keep in mind here is that this is Vin we're talking about.....
Hey what doyou know, I think I just quoted the book!  ;)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

KChan

• Level 2
  • Eep.
    • View Profile
    • K-chan's DA
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 01:36:37 AM »
This is true. Of course, unless Mr. Sanderson decides to give us a story centered on a different Mistborn, or write an entire Encyclopedia of Scadrial, Vin - and later one other character, but even then Vin gets more into theory and mechanics - is the best example we have. There is, of course, Kelsier's lessons to Vin, but unfortunately we don't get to see enough of him to judge what he can and can't do with Pewter, which is really the metal in question here. He's a fantastic example of what can be done with Iron and Steel, but everyone on Scadrial and beyond knows that he was the exception and not the rule, there.

Another good source to look for examples of what Pewter does would be a certain PoV in Hero of Ages. Again, I'll refrain from saying who or what due to spoilers.

Mistborn: The Inquisition RPG

Graphic used with permission.

Euphrasie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »

You couldn't really surprise the Mistborn ebcause they can sense out metals as well, can't they?

Assuming they're paying attention, of course.