Author Topic: I've got mine!  (Read 7081 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
I've got mine!
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:06:04 PM »
I ordered Warbreaker through my local bookstore and they called me today to pick it up.  So I have my copy and now I can read it over the weekend without feeling too guilty about ignoring stuff.
My husband read it on the computer, but I hate doing that.  He has been impatient for me to get it so we could talk about it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: I've got mine!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
Yeah, reports of this have been rolling in, even though it's not supposed to go on sale until Tuesday.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:27:05 PM »
Dang! I should have pre-ordered one! I started reading it online, but got tired of reading on the computer screen. Sounds like Warbreaker has some of the best reviews of Sanderson's works so far. I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
the early (unsanctioned) release of novels is a big point of anger for me. bookstores dont pay attention to their street-date lists...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
In case anyone's wondering what the problem is, it can mess up BookScan numbers for the release week (and thus bestseller ranking) if people buy their copies early.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »
Ok then your frustration is understandable... i never understood the big deal until now thanks for the explanation Ookla
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:55:43 PM »
Then I feel silly because the main reason I ordered it was to help with that first week sales list. 
My bookstore is VERY small and probably didn't even think to check the new release dates, they put it in with all the other book orders.  I try to support them when I can because not many towns the size of mine have a bookstore at all.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:13:27 PM »
You can read it quickly, return it, and then buy it again next week. :)

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:21:24 PM »
yeah, I just happened to be standing right there looking at other books when the guy at Barnes and Noble walks up and puts a bunch of copies of Warbreaker on the shelf. Needless to say, I suffered from a sudden case of impulse buying.

Ehran

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:29:31 AM »
Crap, now I'm tempted to driver over to B&N to see if they have it on the shelf.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:27:55 AM »
Crap, now I'm tempted to driver over to B&N to see if they have it on the shelf.

Heh. Me too....Me too....I'd like to see it sitting on the shelf...and yet. I'd rather the release week sales don't get messed up, so....yeah. Regardless, I'm not getting it until the release party. Makes me happy just thinking about that....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Ehran

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 03:38:21 AM »
So, what day does the "release week" start on?  Calendar week or would it start on Tuesday?  No clue how the publishing industry works.

I'll hold off buying it until I know it helps BS's sales numbers.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 03:45:43 AM »
BookScan numbers are added up from Sunday to Saturday, so if you buy it on Monday it will count as release week.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 03:47:04 AM »
You can read it quickly, return it, and then buy it again next week. :)

Or just buy two copies, I'm sure Brandon won't mind that at all.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 06:12:18 AM »
I don't think my bookstore will make much of a difference because I am absolutely sure they don't have any other copies of Warbreaker. Their entire sci-fi/fantasy section consists of one three foot bookshelf, about half of it used. B&N doesn't have the excuse of being tiny and independent like Arches Book Company.
Just finished it by the way.  It was great. Now I will have strange dreams tonight.