Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*  (Read 33120 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: Mistborn 3 Annotations Discussion *Spoilers*
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2010, 03:37:26 AM »
It seems to me that any definition of mystical you might use really just means that we don't understand it.  Saying that something is mystical is a statement of ignorance, not a fundamental property.

Not even remotely.  People various religious and meditative traditions are certain that they understand mystical subjects and can even make them the subject of academics.  In depth understanding has no bearing or function in defining mysticism (though granted the word itself comes from the root for mystery).  What I'm referring to is that which has it's cause beyond the finite confines of space and time, and which can affect space and or time with itself being part of a regular chain of causality.

Black holes and particle accelerators violate Newtonian physics.

Again no.  Particles themselves may, though we can't actually (pardon the pun) quantafy any that do as yet, with the possible exception of light itself.

... classic elements in "magic" ...

I'm not sure how this relates to the rest of the topic.  Are you arguing that because the external forms of Allomancy are not those of traditional magic systems, that somehow Allomancy itself is less magical?  Would you still say this if you saw Allomancy from the outside, and people refused to explain the system to you?

You've fallen into the classic trap that you have been alluding to.  "any sufficiently advanced [technology] ... would appear to be magic."  But that classic quote itself acknowledges that there is a clear distinction between magic and that which is technologically advanced but occulted by the witness's ignorance.

I see mysticism in the cosmology of Mistborn, but the actual practice of Allomancy is coldy rational and depends on macro-physics (e.g. gravitation, conservation of mass and energy, thermodynamics, etc.).

I would view this paragraph cited above as simply stating that we understand Allomancy better than the other parts of the world-building, and thus it seems more controlled and down-to-Earth.

And again you would be misreading.  WE (the readers) are not really relevant to whether Allomancy is magical, technological or biological. What is relevant is that the Causal agent is biology, the active process is the conversion of mater to energy and the effect is one that obeys natural physical laws.  There is no real difference in terms of process and effect between burning tin and bio-luminescence.  I would be very disappointed if you told me fireflies were magical simply because we readers can't figure out how to make our own butts glow.

Psionics is totally magical.  They violate Newton's laws (and Maxwell's equations) out the ears, and have absolutely no remotely plausible theory or mechanism in the real world.  The fact that such things show up so often in Science Fiction (although fantasy uses the ideas often enough, too, often as part of a larger magic system!) is an interesting historical fact, and totally blurs the line between science fiction and fantasy.

Actually, psionics are generally supposed to use some physical sensitivity and some quantifiable capacity of human biology and energy potential that is "natural" but has yet to be discovered in the real world.  This is why fields like parapsychology exist and schools like UC Berkley spend so much money on the subject.  I agree that it's a dead end because psionics are fictional and there is nothing there to ever discover in the real world.  But using that as a criterion for whether they are magical makes, supra-luminal and temporal travel by matter equally magical.  It just isn't a sound tool for evaluation.

You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2010, 05:52:03 AM »
I define allomancy as mystical the same way Brandon Sanderson does, it is the power of Creation, something that is entirely mystical with either definition you are using.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2010, 03:17:35 AM »
It seems to me that any definition of mystical you might use really just means that we don't understand it.  Saying that something is mystical is a statement of ignorance, not a fundamental property.

Not even remotely.  People various religious and meditative traditions are certain that they understand mystical subjects and can even make them the subject of academics.  In depth understanding has no bearing or function in defining mysticism (though granted the word itself comes from the root for mystery).  What I'm referring to is that which has it's cause beyond the finite confines of space and time, and which can affect space and or time with itself being part of a regular chain of causality.

This statement made me curious.  I looked up definitions of the word mysticism and came up with the following

a. Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God.
b. The experience of such communion as described by mystics.
2. A belief in the existence of realities beyond perceptual or intellectual apprehension that are central to being and directly accessible by subjective experience.
3. Vague, groundless speculation.

None of these match the one you are using, so I can see how misunderstanding can arise.  The first two definitions have no practical uses, and the third is clearly not what you mean.

Your idea seems to be that magic is mystical only if it comes from beyond space and time, the same space mystics dip in to.  Why is this?  Some mathematicians argue that mathematics is above the dynamic physical world we live in, a part of the infinite, perhaps even a view into the mind of God.  Yet we also use mathematics to design jet engines.  It's absolutely practical and perhaps the ultimate "science" or science-like discipline.

Incidentally, by this definition, Allomancy is totally mystical.  It's the power of a god, the essence of creation itself, being channeled through people.  It is also completely regular because creation itself is (in the Cosmere) fundamentally ordered.

Things outside of space and time can have rules too, you know.  If they do, science is totally willing to take a look-see, as long as everybody can agree on them.  If you argue that they can't have rules on how they affect causality, than you really are simply back to ignorance.  Maybe we can't change the fact that we are ignorance, but still ignorance.

Black holes and particle accelerators violate Newtonian physics.

Again no.  Particles themselves may, though we can't actually (pardon the pun) quantafy any that do as yet, with the possible exception of light itself.

This?  This is why I shouldn't discuss science on the internet.

News flash:  Newton's Laws as a fundamental theory have been out of fashion for more than a century.  I think you are using the term as a substitute for "physical laws that we understand."  But particles do seem to obey laws, and we know what they are to excellent approximation, and the particles obey them obscenely well. They just aren't Newton's laws.  Appealing to known physics isn't going to impress me, because I know just how much isn't known.  An awful lot of scientists suddenly become mystics when they get to the boundaries.  And in their case, I can definitely call it mysticism, and it is definitely a statement of ignorance, because they are claiming to know the unknowable through science, which just can't happen.

... classic elements in "magic" ...

I'm not sure how this relates to the rest of the topic.  Are you arguing that because the external forms of Allomancy are not those of traditional magic systems, that somehow Allomancy itself is less magical?  Would you still say this if you saw Allomancy from the outside, and people refused to explain the system to you?

You've fallen into the classic trap that you have been alluding to.  "any sufficiently advanced [technology] ... would appear to be magic."  But that classic quote itself acknowledges that there is a clear distinction between magic and that which is technologically advanced but occulted by the witness's ignorance.

No, I'm pretty sure the original author of that quote didn't believe in magic at all (at least, if it was actually coined by any of the sci-fi authors it is usually attributed to).  It's a pretty solid statement about human nature and ignorance, not a deep philosophy.

Also, how does this relate to my original question?  I asked if you would view Allomancy mystically if it wasn't explained to you.  You should answer that directly.  Especially since Allomancy represents the direct influence of the power of creation being channeled through a human directly from the essence of a god, and is a fine candidate for being truly mystical by your definition.

I see mysticism in the cosmology of Mistborn, but the actual practice of Allomancy is coldy rational and depends on macro-physics (e.g. gravitation, conservation of mass and energy, thermodynamics, etc.).

I would view this paragraph cited above as simply stating that we understand Allomancy better than the other parts of the world-building, and thus it seems more controlled and down-to-Earth.

And again you would be misreading.  WE (the readers) are not really relevant to whether Allomancy is magical, technological or biological. What is relevant is that the Causal agent is biology, the active process is the conversion of mater to energy and the effect is one that obeys natural physical laws.  There is no real difference in terms of process and effect between burning tin and bio-luminescence.  I would be very disappointed if you told me fireflies were magical simply because we readers can't figure out how to make our own butts glow.

Beyond the whole "channeling a god" bit, it's purely a natural phenomenon, I'm sure.

Or is the fact that you know what channeling a god will do that irks you and makes you think it less magical?  That you have knowledge and that the knowledge can be contained fairly easily in a human mind?

Psionics is totally magical.  They violate Newton's laws (and Maxwell's equations) out the ears, and have absolutely no remotely plausible theory or mechanism in the real world.  The fact that such things show up so often in Science Fiction (although fantasy uses the ideas often enough, too, often as part of a larger magic system!) is an interesting historical fact, and totally blurs the line between science fiction and fantasy.

Actually, psionics are generally supposed to use some physical sensitivity and some quantifiable capacity of human biology and energy potential that is "natural" but has yet to be discovered in the real world.  This is why fields like parapsychology exist and schools like UC Berkley spend so much money on the subject.  I agree that it's a dead end because psionics are fictional and there is nothing there to ever discover in the real world.  But using that as a criterion for whether they are magical makes, supra-luminal and temporal travel by matter equally magical.  It just isn't a sound tool for evaluation.

Your argument here is the fatal flaw in your whole understanding.  This basic statement that psionics might not be magical hinges on the fact that psionics might be understood it some day in some fictional world.  Again, your definition comes down to ignorance.  Sci-fi settings usually assume that it has been figured out; hence it isn't magical.
Nature hates being reified.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2010, 04:26:59 AM »
Whether or not it's mystical, Brandon's magic is usually hard rather than soft.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
Sanderson magic systems have rules. They're more like laws of nature that you don't fully understand, but nevertheless you can see that there are limits and consistency.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »
There's always go betweens in science fiction and fantasy.  When Magneto manipulates metal, it's science fiction, because he has the 'x-gene' mutation.  When Vin does it, it's fantasy, because the genetics of her ancestors were changed by the body of a god.  Interesting argument, but I think it can be taken either way (allomancy at least, I see feruchemy and hemalurgy as pretty much solely magic.  How can you explain koloss creation through science?)
I like to think of Allomancy as magic, because of it's origins, and the way metal needs to be imbibed for it to work.  The genetic power inherenent in allomancers isn't really to push or pull metals and emotions, but to unlock to power trapped in the metals.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »
This is a friendly reminder to Peter to get a new annotation in the queue :) Or at least one for tomorrow.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2010, 11:32:57 PM »
Yeah yeah, I'm busy, and the next one requires major rewriting... >_>
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2010, 02:57:38 AM »
There's always go betweens in science fiction and fantasy.  When Magneto manipulates metal, it's science fiction, because he has the 'x-gene' mutation.  When Vin does it, it's fantasy, because the genetics of her ancestors were changed by the body of a god.  Interesting argument, but I think it can be taken either way (allomancy at least, I see feruchemy and hemalurgy as pretty much solely magic.  How can you explain koloss creation through science?)
I like to think of Allomancy as magic, because of it's origins, and the way metal needs to be imbibed for it to work.  The genetic power inherenent in allomancers isn't really to push or pull metals and emotions, but to unlock to power trapped in the metals.

If I were being picky, I'd probably classify Brandon's Shard books as "science fantasy", placing it into the same category as something like Star Wars. He really likes to play around with the Clarke principle, and the fact that (like science) his magic systems operate on a basis of rules and consequences rather than the immediate needs of the plot sets these books apart from more traditional fantasy, where magic is a mysterious force that is capable of almost anything.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2010, 05:27:42 AM »
Clarke Principle?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2010, 06:15:07 AM »
I like that Inkthinker, after all, I wouldn't refer to allomancy as Vin's magic, for some reason it sounds wrong, I'd say Vin's powers.  Perhaps Mistborn is a new truer breed of science fiction: allomancy, feruchemy, and hemalurgy could actually be considered fictional sciences, with a magical I guess.  Science Fantasy, I like it, although since I like to distinguish myself as a fantasy reader, not a science fiction/fantasy reader, I will say Science FANTASY, or something like that.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
Yeah yeah, I'm busy, and the next one requires major rewriting... >_>

Don't worry about it. We know you're busy, and we want The Way of Kings to be as awesome as possible.

Then again, we don't you to forget about annotations, either :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2010, 04:53:34 AM »
I think it is a fantasy crutch to use the word "magic". All of the "magic" forms that Sanderson has used to date feel much more like a natural science.
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 05:52:11 AM »
Clarke Principle?

Maybe better known as Clarke's Third Law:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Perhaps Brandon's Corollary would be "Any sufficiently advanced magic may be indistinguishable from an unknown branch of science".

As mentioned, I don't think of Allomancy, Hemalurgy or Feruchemy as magic, so much as I think of them as an extension of natural science in his universe which is poorly understood even by those who experience it.

In our own world, entirely natural mutations like albinism were seen as magical because people didn't understand genetics. Because each of Brandon's magic systems has a consistent sense of cost and exchange and results, it feels less like mysticism and more like some mysterious branch of physics. Just because we don't fully understand it doesn't change the fact that it works in predictable and understandable ways, if not for understandable reasons.

When and if he come back to the MB universe to write that future series he's spoken of, I won't be surprised if there's been a lot more study into the three magic systems, and characters who treat them as a branch of science that they don't fully understand yet.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:01:46 AM by Inkthinker »

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:02 AM »
An opinion I hold which I think separates magic from science is that magic is inherently unknowable through science.  It's effects and causes cannot be derived through known physics.  That does not mean that magic doesn't have rules, far from it, simply that these rules are incompatible with scientific law on a very basic level.  While their effects may be measurable according to scientific principles (a rock thrown with magic will still be stopped by a wall), but the essential things that make them up cannot.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?