Author Topic: Patrick Rothfuss  (Read 15821 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Rothfuss
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 04:57:04 AM »
The question is, does that make him a Wise Man or a Foolish Man? Hmmm...

I'm hoping that 2nd book syndrome is reduced in this particular series just because it was originally one massive book. But we really can't know until it comes out.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
I have to admit that Patrick is one of my favorite authors. It's a combination of loving his first book and reading his fantastic blog. Brandon and Patrick's blogs are the only ones I read and check regularly because they are entertaining and informative. I am definitely looking forward to Book 2 and am getting the fantasy readers of my family (Dad, Mom and brother) to read The Name of the Wind.
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 12:53:08 AM »
It was originally written as one book, yeah; there's also the fact that it's the size of like four sumo wrestlers–not exactly in need of more filling out.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 08:28:24 PM »
By the way, I was mistaken about the significance of the following:
Pat turned in the second book a couple weeks ago. http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2009/05/when-in-rome.html
I saw Pat at Worldcon. The draft he spoke about in that post was an intermediate draft and by no means the final pre-editorial draft. He is still writing the second book and there is no release date.

I figure that once he's finished with the book to his satisfaction, it will be awesome. That's what he did with the first book, and the results speak for themselves.

Until then, there are other books to read out there.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »
In a sense, I feel like Pat is being given ridiculous expectations for his second book.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:21 AM »
Why??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

pirsquared

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 05:31:26 AM »
I love Pat Rothfuss' book titles.  Both 'The Name of The Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" are exeptionally good, as far as titles go.

Speaking of which, do we know the title for the third book yet?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 03:45:19 PM »
Why??

With all the acclaim that came with book 1, people naturally expect book 2 to be just as good (if not better). the craziness comes when you have a delay in the release of that sequel. it builds more and more hype in the consumer's mind. you see this same phenomenon with video game releases, music,  and movies. People are naturally hyping book 2 up in their minds more and more. I just hope people don't get too unrealistic with what they expect.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
Ohh.. Hmm I see what you're saying (and, I myself, have experienced this before). But just to play the devil's advocate here . . . don't you think certain amounts of the "hype" is realistic . . . ? since it's based off of the incredible quality of the first book which is actually just the first part of an original single book, it is reasonable to expect the rest of the story will be, if not AS amazing, then certainly more than decent.

(Do you see what I'm saying?)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 05:03:11 PM »
Certain amounts yes. But a delay in release causes more and more hype. Think about George R.R. Martin, there was an absurd delay between books 3 and 4, and it led to a generally poor reception of book 4 - I don't see how book 5 can have anything other than the same reception at this point.

Now, you point out that it was really all just one book, so therefore you can realistically expect part 2 to be just as good. I don't think you can expect that at all. You can hope--as I certainly do--that it will be as good, but over-hyping expectations generally leads to disappointment. By your same argument, we can say that we should expect book 2 to be worse, because the middle of a high proportion of fantasy novels are terribly slow, and are used exclusively for set-up. Pat is a good guy, and a good writer, so I don't think this will happen. However, people need to step back and breathe a bit rather than expect the greatest fantasy novel ever written over the history of time, and in all parallel universes (cause that is what people are starting to do now).

I would kill to be published like Pat, but I don't envy the hype fans are pumping into his book 2. Personally, I will be satisfied with an enjoyable novel that can be slightly less awesome than book 1, and I feel that is a realistic hope and expectation. It also allows me to be blown away in the event that he goes to a whole 'nother level of awesome.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 06:19:28 PM »
Part of the problem with the 2nd book was that since it was the middle of a larger book, it was originally written without a beginning or end. And the first book was written without an end, which Pat had to add, which caused the first part of book 2 to not match up with the end of book 1. So the rewriting has dealt a lot with that kind of issue.

Pat has said several times that he's really a storyteller rather than a novelist. Novels require a certain structure and adapting the story to that has been difficult.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »
Exactly! Now if we could get other people other than us awesome-ones to get that, Pat will have no issues...

Speaking of which, we should really post a review of his first book on our blog...too many people I know still haven't read it...slackers.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 06:03:09 PM »
Ohh now I see what you're saying. Hm.

I would kill to be published like Pat, but I don't envy the hype fans are pumping into his book 2. Personally, I will be satisfied with an enjoyable novel that can be slightly less awesome than book 1, and I feel that is a realistic hope and expectation. It also allows me to be blown away in the event that he goes to a whole 'nother level of awesome.
Yes, this is probably a healthier way of looking at things. And (like you said), might make the book more enjoyable.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »
But...if we take Pat's comments to heart, book 2 should kill us with awesome-ness.  :P

Quote from: Patrick Rothfuss' Blog
It's going to be so good the ALA will have to put a label on it warning people of the dangerous levels of awesome contained therin. It's going to be so good that you will read it and then die.

Well... I might want to scale it back a little from that. But still, when it comes out it would probably be safest to read it with one eye closed, just to be safe.

(Side-note: I totally agree with BG. I'm trying not to get my expectations up unrealistically high for this book...But I do still expect it to be good....)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 01:51:49 AM »
Speaking of which, we should really post a review of his first book on our blog...too many people I know still haven't read it...slackers.

Please do! More people need to know about this book.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.