Author Topic: I am not a Serial Killer BANNED!!!  (Read 12005 times)

pacatak

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Jabbering Jake
I am not a Serial Killer BANNED!!!
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:49:02 PM »
I ordered your book from the UK and had it shipped here to Utah.  Loved it; can't wait for the next.  My family is full of voracious readers so I took your book to the homestead in Idaho and a couple of my brothers read it and liked it.  Or so I thought.  I made a phone call home last week, shooting the breeze and all.  I brought up with my mother that my younger bro had read the book and liked it.  She said that's not what he told her.  He said that, "no one should be reading that stuff."  I was surprised, cause my fam has always loved this kinda weird stuff.  The X-Files was a Sunday night tradition growing up. 

Upon my brother's recommendation my mother threw the book in the trash. When I heard this I kinda lost it.  I told her that was a book I wanted to keep in my library for a long time, and that I had to special order if from England, and I left the book there for people to read, not so they could unceremoniously toss it in the trash.  If they wanted to trash they book they should buy their own to dispose of.

Luckily she was able to retrieve it from the garbage, and it hadn't been soiled.  I had to laugh at the whole thing.  Though you might want to know that a mormon housewife has seen fit to trash your book.  Maybe that means you've arrived, IDK.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: I am not a Serial Killer BANNED!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
Well...I personally do think that it's a bad idea for most kids below a certain stage of social development to read this book. Past a certain age I doubt there's anyone who would get ideas from it that they wouldn't have already gotten elsewhere, but I think that if they read this book when they're too young, certain readers could develop an unhealthy fixation on the fear that they themselves might develop into serial killers. The problem with the book for such kids is that it doesn't present a repeatable way to let out the impulses—the option that works for John is just not available to anyone in the real world.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »
Well John Gacy, Ted Cowell and Jeff Daumer found ways in the real world, but we take your point. ;P  What is Mr. Wells method hrmmmmm?

You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:40:04 AM »
Dan plays complicated board games.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »
Wow, pacatak, that's a pretty strong reaction to the book. How old was the brother who hated it, and what kinds of books does he normally read? Ookla's right--the book definitely isn't for everyone.

If you really want to have some fun, buy them a copy of book 2 when it comes out next year. If they thought the first one was too freaky, the second will get you disowned.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »
If you really want to have some fun, buy them a copy of book 2 when it comes out next year. If they thought the first one was too freaky, the second will get you disowned.

Heh. This is 110% true.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:01:32 PM »
The thing to remember about all three books in this series is that they are all, when you boil them down to their core, the story of a person who is trying very, very hard to be good. Doing the wrong thing is always discussed but never condoned, and in fact the ramifications of "bad" behavior are much stronger in this series than they are in most other contemporary fantasies. How many people does Luke Skywalker kill, and it doesn't bother him at all? And how many people does John kill, and why, and for what reasons, and how deeply does it affect him afterward?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:14:11 PM »
Kind of like Ted then? :P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

pacatak

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Jabbering Jake
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »
I agree that this book isn't for young people. Personally I wouldn't recommend it to most people under 18.  My bro is 21 just got back from his mission (that might have something to do with it)  He likes sci fi, loves star wars.  I think his favorite books are the Redwall series, So i guess serial killers are a little different then cute little rodents playing king arthur.  I think he was just a little disturbed by some of the more graphic parts, in particular the stalkerish behavior and the scene  with the monsters wife.

I should add not all my family was opposed to it.  My 31 year old brother really enjoyed the book and he's a high school English teacher and the varsity basketball coach.  My 23 year old sister really wants to read it, but her husband doesn't want her to.  She loves to scare herself, but if she reads it i know she'll not be sleeping for weeks.

Can't wait for the next book.  I'll probably be ordering all these from overseas so I can get them ASAP.  But all this talk about the next books make me nervous.  I sure hope John doesn't go to the dark side, cause we crazy people need hope.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:10:01 PM »
As I mentioned on Dan's website, the age group for this series is variable. It really depends on the individual. There is a lot in YA that is considered more shocking than this series. However, for some people, this series may be too much. I think if readers focus too much on the creepiness of it, they miss out on the brilliantly written inner-struggle that John Cleaver faces.

Book 1 is a pleasantly creepy ride that, through the character's inner-turmoil, lends humanity to a character who thinks he doesn't have any humanity. Books 2 is way creepier, but for every level of darkness Dan gives added levity in some places and deeper heroics in other places.

Some 12 year-olds could be fine with this series while some 30 year-olds may find it too much. Know your audience when you recommend the book. In my opinion, this is horror-lite, but I'm kinda messed up in the head.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
The first year I went to the World Horror con, a couple of guys did a reading of a short story that was essentially just a really graphic game of "how fast can you kill everyone on a bus?" Compared to the majority of the modern horror field, my books are downright virtuous. That said, the first horror agent I sent the book to said it was the creepiest thing he'd ever read.

Also: you gave my book to a freshly-returned missionary? I will laugh and laugh about that for years.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »
This reminds me of my first movie coming off my mission: What Lies Beneath. Not a great movie, and not scary at all anymore, but being the first thing I saw after a mission? I nearly died of fright.

Good times...

And yes, compared to the general Horror genre, Dan's stuff is tame. I prefer Dan's horror to modern horror - it reminds me of old classic psychological horror in the vein of some Howard, some Lovecraft (and some Lumley), and some Hitchcock. Less hack'n'slash'n'gore and more character and psychological  conflict. Tension > gore.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 09:33:27 PM »
If I don't get my hands on this book soon I am going to explode.

x.x

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »
So my grandmother enjoyed the book.  She said, "It was really weird, but the story was good.  That kid is CRAZY!" ha ha.  I wonder what she'll say when I tell her the story isn't over. xD

Oh and complicated board games . . . Do you play Go Dan?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

pacatak

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Jabbering Jake
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
Bookstore, I think you've identified why I like the book.  Its that old school horror like you find in Hitchcock's work.  I've never liked the overthetop gore fest you see in a lot of movies, but I love the fear and nervousness created in a well crafted story like serial killer.

Well this weekend I'm up to Idaho to rescue the book.  I'll have to be a little more careful on who I lend it out to, maybe my bishop's daughter. ;)