Poll

What is your favorite kind of food?

American (including Western, Southern, Mormon)
Mexican
Chinese (including Tibetan)
Japanese
Southeast Asian (Thai, Vietnamese, etc.)
Korean
African
Middle Eastern (including Jewish)
French
Indian
German/Scandinavian
British/Irish
Italian
Eastern European
Other Asian
Other European
Other Latin American
Something else?

Author Topic: Favorite food?  (Read 10344 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite food?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 11:53:05 PM »
When you do, Liathiana, go for a california roll. They're pretty awesome.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »
Personally, I find them (California rolls) pretty boring.  Locally, a lot of the Mountain Rolls, Godzilla Rolls, and Caterpiller rolls are pretty good (not all places may have all of these).  And it isn't on their menu anymore, but last time I went to Ichiban's, they had a good Spider Roll you could order.  FYI about Ichiban's, though: Locals get a big discount, so if you go, ask about it (you might need to flash ID).

BTW, if you're not sure if you'll like Sushi, then when you first try it, stay away from Nigiri at first.  I love Nigiri, but it's kind of weird for people who've never tried it, and most Americans take more naturally to the rolls.  So try some rolls—anything fried will probably be particularly appealing to the American palate, but I'd recommend a variety.  It's helpful, the first time you go to sushi, to go with a friend who knows it.  If you're ever feeling adventurous, and want to go on a sushi date in Reno, Ari (my fiancée) and I would be glad to double you and your date for sushi (we absolutely love it—and it's best to eat sushi with about 4 people, so you can taste a little of a lot of different things).

If you're weirded out by meeting online people (i.e., me), that's okay too—we here at TWG are a pretty tight-knit group that way, though (I have to admit, I was glad to see a local sign up—gets tiring having to travel to Utah to see any TWiGgers.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:45:35 AM by The Jade Knight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 02:24:37 AM »
Never heard of any of those in that first paragraph except for the Spider Roll. I find california rolls quite tasty, though, especially with tobiko on the outside.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 02:51:14 AM »
Disregard my stupid earlier post... i put italian, korean, american (southern cooking is good even if its simple), other asain (vietnamese), mexican (traditional that you can't find unless you go to a hole in the wall or know people and i do both frequently), and something else (Texas style BBQ)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 05:23:38 AM »
I'm confused how Italian can have 30 votes when only 21 people have voted....

Anyway. I voted for American, Mexican, Italian, and British/Irish.....I love British food. It's good. At least the stuff I had when I was over there a month and a half ago. I miss it....You just don't get bakeries in Idaho like you do in England... :(
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 06:44:06 AM »
Disregard my stupid earlier post... i put italian, korean, american (southern cooking is good even if its simple), other asain (vietnamese), mexican (traditional that you can't find unless you go to a hole in the wall or know people and i do both frequently), and something else (Texas style BBQ)

Texas food still counts as American food.

And Shaggy, Sushi rolls tend to be very local, with only a very few kinds of rolls that seem fairly universal (like the Philidelphia and the California, though the Caterpiller is pretty universal, too), so while a lot of Sushi joints in the same area might have similar/the same rolls, the menu might be totally different a state away.  And, of coures, each joint has its own specialties.

(We're all wondering about that, Little Wilson.)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 04:59:06 AM »
It's helpful, the first time you go to sushi, to go with a friend who knows it.  If you're ever feeling adventurous, and want to go on a sushi date in Reno, Ari (my fiancée) and I would be glad to double you and your date for sushi (we absolutely love it—and it's best to eat sushi with about 4 people, so you can taste a little of a lot of different things).

If you're weirded out by meeting online people (i.e., me), that's okay too—we here at TWG are a pretty tight-knit group that way, though (I have to admit, I was glad to see a local sign up—gets tiring having to travel to Utah to see any TWiGgers.)

I would love to meet up! I have no problem meeting people online, the first time I met people I'd met online I flew all the way to Colorado to the mountains so driving to Reno is no great hardship! It would be fabulous to meet y'all ;D I'll pm you my #!
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 02:10:19 PM »
BBQ is it's own catergory i just said TExas style because i dislike mustard BBQ which i think is from South Carolina... and a couple of other kinds of BBQ i don't care for
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
I really enjoy thia food which is in the "Other Asia" catagory. It's made up of mostly sea food like crab and fish and yummy things like that.
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »
BBQ is it's own catergory i just said TExas style because i dislike mustard BBQ which i think is from South Carolina... and a couple of other kinds of BBQ i don't care for

American-stlye BBQ is American food.

Bastille:  From where in Asia?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »
I revised my vote..i selected the correct one for vietnamese this time too... i missed it the first time around :-[

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2009, 03:46:49 AM »
Well in the sense that Taco bell and the burrito are American food then yeah barbecue is American.  But the fact that it is really just a reinterpretation of barbacoa, it's really no more American than Chow Mein or Gyros. . .
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »
Chow Mien is American—or American Chinese, which is really not terribly similar to authentic Chinese.

Gyros, on the other hand, I think are pretty solidly Greek.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 07:58:07 AM »
Chop Sui means waste or leftovers and yeah it's Californio cuisine.  Chow Mein means stir fried noodles and it's Chinese, of course what we get at Panda Express is not much like the noodles from a shop in Shanghai.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »
"Chow Mein" is Chinese?  Where in China do you think they say "Chow Mein"?

"Chow mein", called as such, and containing its distinctly American form, is nothing but an American dish with vague roots in Chinese cuisine.  It is no more Chinese than Apple Pie is French or than Hamburgers are German.