Author Topic: TWG Gaming night  (Read 22963 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: TWG Gaming night
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2004, 11:49:09 AM »
both! both! both!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2004, 09:30:57 AM »
So BBQ this weekend?  How many people will be there so we can figure out who's bringing what?  If we're not going to do that I can just get a dicount card for Pizza Factory and we can have pizza this week and do the BBQ when SE comes out in June.  We can allwayse have a BBQ both months too. I'm game with either.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 09:42:02 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »
SE loves bbq. that is all.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »
I'm coming, Mustard might be, and I heard that Lovebasket might even be planning on it. I'll confirm with both of them.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2004, 04:17:42 PM »
I most likely will be there, depending on place/time.  So where/when is it?

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2004, 05:56:01 PM »
I'm planning on it as well, and any forseeable distractions are currently out of the way. A time/place would help though. BBQ is fine with me...I could even pick something up for it. (It's nice to be working again.)
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2004, 07:48:03 PM »
As far as time I'm not quite sure, Saturday around noonish is what I'm under the impression of.  Unless there's strong objections from his roomates it will be at EUOL's place (not to far from the Lindon Home Depo).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2004, 08:37:25 PM »
I'll have a firmer time worked out in a day or so, but around noonish is looking good for everyone I think.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2004, 11:18:55 AM »
Well, it appears as though I won't be in attendance for the May event, although June looks pretty solid.  My wife/event coordinator has made plans for me that day.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2004, 09:03:20 PM »
Ouch. Too bad.

Well I don't know if enough people are interested, but I'll be preparing a Magic deck for an Emporer game, in case enough (six total) people feel like doing the same.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/aa99

Is a good article on the Emperor format.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/aa100

This one too. I'm building for Lieutenant. If anyone else is interested, I'll let them pick the deck type. (100/3 or standard Constructed)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 09:17:28 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2004, 10:34:37 PM »
ooo... let's do that in June. i've wanted to try Emperor, and I think my massive deck would be great as emperor, because by the time people could get to me, I'd be really built up finally.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2004, 10:40:24 PM »
Sounds great. (But let's not defer it till then. I'm eager to try it now.)  ;)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2004, 12:39:10 AM »
Give me three good reasons why I want to play an Emperor game. I literally have no interest in it, but I'm willing to be convinced.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2004, 12:43:18 AM »
I wil give you none. And that will be my prize.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2004, 12:55:29 AM »
I'll give it a try then...

1. It's a true team format. Quite apart from the semi-team format offered at Prereleases, Emperor games requires cooperation among an actual team that can work together during an acutal game. This adds entirely new dynamics to the game, in which you have a vested, lasting interest in members of the game that are not yourself. In free-for-all games, you at times might aid another player, but only as it is expedient at the time to serve your own efforts. In emperor, the lieutenants have actual interest in defending their Emperor first and secondly each other, if they have the means to do so. I think that's exciting. One thing I really like about this is that instants, especially combat instants, grow in utility, as the number of combats you are likely to use them during expand to two for each player.

2. The rules of the game change. The rules set that I favor the most currently is that all players can target two steps away, attack with creatures one step away, and that global effects remain global. Decks must be built differently, with these considerations in mind. The Emperor, in particular, can't even hit their goal target when the game begins.

3. We haven't tried it yet. This argument is more of a synergy of the other two, so I may be cheating. However, the Emperor format offers a whole new range of considerations both inside and outside of the game that would make for a much different experience than the one that we're used to, and to varying degrees, have all gotten tired of. From team formation to deckbuilding to the actual gameplay, it would be something new. Much like the 10-card format we tried for a while, it should be enjoyable and bring the whole game a new perspective.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 12:56:08 AM by Prometheus »