Author Topic: Favorite author  (Read 15063 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite author
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 11:42:28 PM »
The humours thing is by going about this over and over again you lead yourself only into hypocrisy... and if you are looking for an apology you're out of luck because i don't see how anyone could like something that copies mythos only to rob of them all of their designated charteristics just to make them into little disco balls.... not too mention the phrase bite me is every way as offensive as me being blunt and indifferent in my response...and if their is one huge turnoff (not neccesarily in a manner of courtship) it is blunt blind hypocrisy so before you go telling me of the spec in my eye go pull the plank out of yours....

P.S. for everyone else i do apologize for witnessing this spat
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »
holy over-reaction batman!

though i agree about Meyer ruining vampires. people need to read more Lumley...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
Well, to add to your misery, the Twilight series is now becoming vastly popular in bookstores in Spain (at least, they were almost sold out where I went).

It could be even bigger than that.  I came across an article on the internet last month where they were estimating that 1 out of every six books sold in the US this year (yes, they said ALL books sold) had been authored by Miss Stephenie.  Wow.  Granted, The Host has been on the NYT best seller list for over a year now, but one in six?  I want to decry this as a hoax, but there is still some part of me that hesitates.  One in Six?  Betcha Bookstore guy could debunk it.  Whaddya think, man?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
i think i feel nauseous just thinking about it.

but yeah, that seems like an awfully high ratio. I'm going to call that number B.S.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
maybe someone forgot a zero or two.

1 in 60 could be believable. 1 in 6? no way. that assumes that 1 in 6 readers like Vampire Novels..  and ones aimed at 12 year olds at that. I would bet Janet Evanovich has sold more that her.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:24 PM »
Anyone who likes vampires should go check out a documentary of Dracula... the things he did were disturbing but they really do form the basis of the myth
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 04:18:20 PM »
maybe someone forgot a zero or two.

1 in 60 could be believable. 1 in 6? no way. that assumes that 1 in 6 readers like Vampire Novels..  and ones aimed at 12 year olds at that. I would bet Janet Evanovich has sold more that her.

i dont know about the Evanovich thing - she is popular, but her fan base isnt as fanatical as Meyer. but yeah, there is no way 1 in 6 were Meyer novels. maybe at a specific store...on the release week of her novel...

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
Sorry guys and gals it appears to have some truth to it. According to USA today anyways.

http://twilightersanonymous.com/usa-today-stephenie-meyer-novels-account-for-16-percent-of-books-sold-in-2009.html
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
ah, sales for Q1 (January - March). No one releases books in Q1 in the US, so it makes sense. especially when you consider the DVD for the 1st movie was released in Q1.

the book industry is crap for the first 3 months of the year. April is the beginning of the sales increase which peaks Black Friday in November. December is lower than November, then sales completely plummet in January.

as an example, the sales figures at my bookstore (this was during good economic times):

A week in January: ~ $2000
A week in June: ~ $5 - 6K
A week in November: ~ $20 - 30K

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 08:20:05 PM »
key phrase in the USA Today article - 16% of all book sales tracked by the list

so, out of how many different books are they tracking? 50? 500? 5 million?

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »
key phrase in the USA Today article - 16% of all book sales tracked by the list

so, out of how many different books are they tracking? 50? 500? 5 million?

The "list" they are referring to is the USA Today Best-Selling Book List.

Taken from usatoday.com

Included are more than 2.0 million volumes from about 6,400 independent, chain, discount and online booksellers.

Reporting stores include: Amazon.com, B. Dalton Bookseller, Barnes & Noble.com, Barnes & Noble Inc., Books-A-Million.com, Books-A-Million, Bookland and Books & Co., Borders Books & Music, Brentano's, Davis Kidd Booksellers (Nashville, Memphis in Tenn.), Hudson Booksellers, Joseph-Beth Booksellers (Lexington, Ky.; Cincinnati, Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh), Powell's Books (Portland, Ore.), Powells.com, R.J. Julia Booksellers (Madison, Conn.), Schuler Books & Music (Grand Rapids, Okemos, Eastwood, Alpine, Mich.), Target, Tattered Cover Book Store (Denver), Waldenbooks.

“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »
and once again, it means nothing since it was for only the first 3 months of the year. there was no competition for Meyer novels, and she had a movie release pumping her sales. i highly doubt the 1:6 or 1:7 ratio is even close anymore.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
ok, 2 million volumes...   2 million different volumes? 2 million titles?

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2009, 10:01:36 PM »
ok, 2 million volumes...   2 million different volumes? 2 million titles?

@Bookstore Guy
I read you loud clear. I was just informing mtlhddoc2 what the ratio was actually concerning.

As far as what "2 million volumes" is referring to I assumed that it meant 2 million different titles.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2009, 11:00:29 PM »
I find it hard to believe they are tracking 2 million titles and put her in first place...   i mean, noone teacks the best selling book of all time any more? LOL (its the Bible, for those that didnt know)