Author Topic: Favorite author  (Read 15061 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite author
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:25 PM »
I never got to meet Mr. Rigney, all i know about him is common knowldege (the exerpt about the author ect.) what was he like?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 02:18:42 AM »
In Goodkind's defense, he's Canadian and a certain amount. . .
Um In Good kind's defense, he is a competent historical reenactor specializing in the long. . .
Hrm. In Goodkind's defense he's been around too many SCA types and believes his own press. :)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
Is there something wrong with being Canadian?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
my 2 favorite authors are Canadian, so im afraid i can't contribute here.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
His joke was that there was nothing in Goodkind's defense BECAUSE being Canadian, etc. isn't an excuse for his behavor.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »
This is really, really tough, and I'm 200% sure I'll be leaving someone out, but my favorite writers (as of now) are probably Robert Jordan, for (A.O.T.) his fluency and wonderful descriptions, Patrick Rothfuss, for (A.O.T.) his plot and character development and his magic system, D.J. MacHale for (A.O.T.) his contemporary, funny, yet still engaging writing and Ray Bradbury, if only for the fact that his beautiful short stories were perhaps the only things I've ever read that have ever made me lose 4+ hours of sleep.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

PW

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 01:32:19 AM »
Favorite fantasy authors working now are Brandon Sanderson and R. Scott Bakker
Favorite deceased fantasy authors and J.R.R. Tolkien and Robert Jordan

Other favorites include Chuck Palahniuk, Mark Z. Danielewski, Will Christopher Baer, David Foster Wallace, Ernest Hemingway, Fyodor Dostoevsky, and Leo Tolstoy

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:43 PM »
Oooh fun topic! ;D

I'm not ready to narrow my favorite authors into certain categories. In fact I only have two, and they are very generalistic (I know it's not a word but I can't think of the right one *glares at her brain* ):

Category 1: Favorite Authors whose books I will almost always enjoy and will rarely hate, if ever.
Category 2: Nearly Favorite Authors of whom I like some of their books but I want to see more out of them before I can add them to C1 and/or some of their books I really enjoy and some of them I don't and they will never be added to C1.

It seems I need to take some analytical classes in college and then maybe I'll stop liking almost everything I read or see. Though I am much more critical of what I read than what I watch.

So...Category 1 Authors: Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Jacqueline Carey, and Juliet Marillier. I also really enjoy Tom Clancy, John Grisham and Philip Yancey though I don't read them as often as the others anymore.

Category 2 Authors: Stephenie Meyer (yeah, bite me! :P), J.K. Rowling, George R.R. Martin (an example of an author who while I really enjoy ASOIAF I must admit I've been caught up in the annoyance of some fans in the misdirection and basically, I'm going to sell you something all the time aspect of his blog. Blogs do influence how I see an author, which is probably why Brandon and Patrick are definite favorites while GRRM is relegated to C2), Orson Scott Card, Scott Lynch, Robert Jordan (yeah, balefire me!), Jane Austen and Alison Croggon.

Feel free to discuss/pester me about my choices though I'm not sure how well I'll be able to articulate my positions.
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 10:35:45 PM »
I'm going to cry my thread was invaded by someone brainwashed into thinking that Twighlight was indeed a book!!!! Darn teenie boppers are stirring up mischief again...this calls for extreme measures should a write and equally bad story destroying others happy dayd dreams about an awesome myth hmmmm... oh wait Myers ruined more than vampires... werewolves were mentioned too!!!!!!!! *weeps* :'(
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
And it's even worse...I'm not a teenager! OH THE HUMANITY!
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 12:48:25 AM »
I'm going to cry my thread was invaded by someone brainwashed into thinking that Twighlight was indeed a book!!!! Darn teenie boppers are stirring up mischief again...this calls for extreme measures should a write and equally bad story destroying others happy dayd dreams about an awesome myth hmmmm... oh wait Myers ruined more than vampires... werewolves were mentioned too!!!!!!!! *weeps*
Well, to add to your misery, the Twilight series is now becoming vastly popular in bookstores in Spain (at least, they were almost sold out where I went).

Also, to my list I was like to put John Flanagan.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:09 AM »
I'd also like to say that it was rather rude to say I had been brainwashed. :(

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 05:14:15 AM »
Will someone explain to her that i am indeed a savage little man who does not adhere to the rules of civilization and by extension civility?

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 07:05:55 AM »
Will someone explain to her that i am indeed a savage little man who does not adhere to the rules of civilization and by extension civility?

What he said.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »
AND rude, glad that's all cleared up ;D