Author Topic: HoA paperback cover  (Read 4077 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: HoA paperback cover
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »
LOL. Ryos, I hope that was a typo.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Liam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
The Vin on the paperback cover looks so much like one of my cousins that it causes this weird cognitive dissonance whenever I see it. Really kind of disturbing.

I thought the paperback cover for Final Empire was the worst. Oddly deformed Kelsier + Grim Reaper Inquisitor = FAIL.
Yes, this greatly bothers me as well.  When I bought the HoA paperback the other day I saw a version of the FE cover that was done in the style of the later releases and wanted to buy, but I'm poor.  I was already buying a copy of a book I already own, no need to buy two!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 09:58:33 PM »
I will take any McGrath cover over the old paperback cover any day. That said, I'm a bit bummed that McGrath didn't go with a more washed-out/hazy look for the covers like he did with Jim Butcher's and Kat Richardson's novels. Considering the mist in Mistborn, I think he missed a great opportunity.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »
I will take any McGrath cover over the old paperback cover any day. That said, I'm a bit bummed that McGrath didn't go with a more washed-out/hazy look for the covers like he did with Jim Butcher's and Kat Richardson's novels. Considering the mist in Mistborn, I think he missed a great opportunity.

Too right.  The Dresden Files' covers are great.  The stories take place in Chicago, which definately is not as misty as Luthadiel.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Liam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:42:31 PM »

Too right.  The Dresden Files' covers are great.  The stories take place in Chicago, which definately is not as misty as Luthadiel.
I love the Dresden Files and their covers.  Those would have been really cool.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 03:40:46 AM »
That was an oddly deformed Vin.

I think that just drives the point home XD
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
I prefered the Final Empire original paperback it looked like a typical street urchin malnurished and all...which she was
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »
In that book she was, at least at the beginning... by the end of the book she's filled out and grown up some. By the third book she's around 19 or 20 or so, isn't she?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »
All that is true Ink
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
I saw underworld evolution on TV and the main character is an older version of what i imangined Vin to look like... she's hot

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »
I like the new paperbacks better than the hardcovers, but the hardcovers are all infinitely better than ugly vin. Yes, I am talking about the first FE paperback. It is, without a doubt, the scariest cover I have ever seen.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 12:35:42 AM »
I like the new paperbacks better than the hardcovers, but the hardcovers are all infinitely better than ugly vin. Yes, I am talking about the first FE paperback. It is, without a doubt, the scariest cover I have ever seen.
*shudder* I was so glad when the new PB covers did away with Ugly Vin.

As for the HoA PB, I quite liked seeing Elend there too. His uniform was a little too... oriental, though, imo. I mean, from the descriptions, I pictured a more Western (European) style uniform. Still, I like how fearless the couple looks.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
I saw underworld evolution on TV and the main character is an older version of what i imangined Vin to look like... she's hot

I believe I could accept the casting of Kate Beckinsale as Vin, if necessary. Though I think if there were a movie, I'd rather see a unknown actress who fits the role rather than a known actor/actress who forces the role to fit themselves.

I could not speak to miss Kate's acting ability. The Underworld movies weren't exactly classy cinema.

As for the HoA PB, I quite liked seeing Elend there too. His uniform was a little too... oriental, though, imo. I mean, from the descriptions, I pictured a more Western (European) style uniform. Still, I like how fearless the couple looks.

Yeah, I always imagined something in a more Victorian or even American military cut. But then again, perhaps that's all influenced by what I bring to the reading as a westerner. I certainly don't recall much detail about the cut aside from it mention of a high collar and it being white.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:59:25 AM by Inkthinker »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »
They only did away with ugly Vin to put another ugo in her stead... but that's just my opinion