Author Topic: Quantum theory in Sandersonia and Shardism... *Spoilers*  (Read 3664 times)

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum theory in Sandersonia and Shardism... *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 01:17:51 AM »
Well, face to face definitely trumps any theorizing I might pose then :-)  Ookla, it seems easier for me since I can accept or at least am open to the idea of alternate universes now in our own reality.  So that many worlds occuring with variations of themselves that tie to each other is not a huge stretch by any means (in my mind :-)  Now, accepting that life has formed on so many planets in the same universe that are similar (say with humans and magic) is more of a stretch for me since in our own reality the search for extraterrestrial life and planets that can sustain them has, to date and publicly known at least, been futile.  So that it why it is easier for me to accept the multiple reality concept.  That being said, if the reason for so many worlds like this existing was in fact due to the personalities behind the shards creating a universe and placing all these worlds in it for a reason and tying into an overlying theme, I can accept that too. :-)  Does that explain my thoughts any better?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 03:00:26 AM »
Well, we know who created the life on Scadrial. So draw your own opinions from that. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »
Well, face to face definitely trumps any theorizing I might pose then :-)  Ookla, it seems easier for me since I can accept or at least am open to the idea of alternate universes now in our own reality.  So that many worlds occuring with variations of themselves that tie to each other is not a huge stretch by any means (in my mind :-)  Now, accepting that life has formed on so many planets in the same universe that are similar (say with humans and magic) is more of a stretch for me since in our own reality the search for extraterrestrial life and planets that can sustain them has, to date and publicly known at least, been futile.  So that it why it is easier for me to accept the multiple reality concept.  That being said, if the reason for so many worlds like this existing was in fact due to the personalities behind the shards creating a universe and placing all these worlds in it for a reason and tying into an overlying theme, I can accept that too. :-)  Does that explain my thoughts any better?

I think you have a rather inflated view of just how much of the universe we've actually explored.  The only places we can actually outlaw the existence by saying "we've been there and its dead" are strictly in our own solar system.  The rest is just speculation about where life can survive.  At least some of the extra-solar planets they have found are, in principle, possible carriers for life.  The easiest ones to find tend to the extreme, which is probably why they got so much attention, but this is purely selection bias, not an random sampling of potential habitats.  And on a cosmic scale, we haven't even *started* looking.

Trust me.  In our current universe as it stands, we've got all *kinds* of room for just about every variation physically possible.  Extra dimensions?  Who needs 'em?
Nature hates being reified.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
I also believe that humans in general have a rather limited view on where life can and cannot survive.  For a long time we believed nothing could live at the bottom of the ocean due to the pressure.  Just because a planet does not have oxygen or other compounds needed for carbon based lifeforms, does not mean that life can not exist on it.  We tend to search for planets that can support human life.  They think they have found some but with the number of light years we have to look across you can not take a close up of the planet.  Earth is small and close to the earth when it comes to planets so it is hard to locate other earth like planets.

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
Oh, believe me, I am open to the possibilities of what may be out there in the great unexplored and adaptability is far underrated.  I agree with you guys, just said that based on popular thought, shows like sliders and Fringe (WHICH ROCKS!) it is an easier jump for me to see multiple realities as opposed to multiple worlds in one universe based upon random creation and not a purposeful creation.  Ookla pointed out again that Scadriel was indeed a purposeful creation so the Brandonverse is indeed unique in its nature.  Who was that redhead?  Was he evil before he embraced that shard, was he someone before the shard, was he always the shard?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
Why is it easier to understand than a bunch of planets in one universe?

Another reason is that it would require physics to operate differently in different regions of space.  With current theories, fundamental laws are part of the definition for the universe and changing one of them, generates a new universe.

You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 05:25:03 AM »
I believe that the Ati (the red head, coming from Atium) has always been the cognitive force (intellect) behind the spiritual and physical aspects of Ruin. I believe that he has always been the intellect since the Shattering of Andolasium, when the shards where spread out throughout the universe.

But who knows? It might all be multiple universes. We'll probably have to wait till Way of Kings to find out more.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 10:17:49 PM »
Oh, believe me, I am open to the possibilities of what may be out there in the great unexplored and adaptability is far underrated.  I agree with you guys, just said that based on popular thought, shows like sliders and Fringe (WHICH ROCKS!) it is an easier jump for me to see multiple realities as opposed to multiple worlds in one universe based upon random creation and not a purposeful creation.  Ookla pointed out again that Scadriel was indeed a purposeful creation so the Brandonverse is indeed unique in its nature.  Who was that redhead?  Was he evil before he embraced that shard, was he someone before the shard, was he always the shard?

Well, sure.  In a random universe, having all humans would be rather odd.  It seems extremely likely to me, though, that the worlds visited so far have *all* been designed.

Why is it easier to understand than a bunch of planets in one universe?

Another reason is that it would require physics to operate differently in different regions of space.  With current theories, fundamental laws are part of the definition for the universe and changing one of them, generates a new universe.

I think that the laws of physics are the same everywhere.  It's just that the different varieties of people interact with them differently.  The people on Scandriel could take power from metal because metal was the power source for the shards that created them; they inherited (via creation) a very small fraction of the shards power and nature.  I suspect that this applies in the other worlds as well:  the shards' powers are available, in small and limited ways, to their creations.  This manifests different depending on the shard.  But no actual laws of physics are different.
Nature hates being reified.