Author Topic: Gathering Storm Title  (Read 8720 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering Storm Title
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:07:37 PM »
Do tell.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 10:47:45 PM »
Anyways 8 was so much better than 9...9 bored be a bit but then again so did 10..KoD was bad ___ though
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »
I liked Knife of Dreams.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 11:06:04 PM »
I did too i censored my post....duh!!!! :P ::)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Oh…hehe  :-[ right.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »
I think I liked the Saidin being cleansed more then the Weather getting fixed, so I enjoyed book 9 more.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
I never said it was all bad but the book over all dragged, so did 10...

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
10 really did drag so no arguement there really, however I didn't find it that way with book 9. I know I was impatient for Rand to be done with Far Madding but other then that things went along more interestingly then PoD.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
I loved the Far Madding bit.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
I tend to be very lenient (almost fanboyish) with this series overall, but I will admit that the POV sections of the people who were challenging Elayne for the throne seemed pointless to me.  We really didn't need to get to know these people that well, did we?  who cares about their jockeying and scheming?  Only the cool old guy who was pretending to be crazy (as was his niece) gives this part some point, but I doubt RJ needed to spend so much time introducing him and his successor just so we could have yet another person around one of the main characters who we may not be able to trust.  This part more than any others made me believe that RJ loved this story so much that he just didn't want it to end.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
Yeah the problem is that some might find that intriguing with all the politicking they were doing. He seemed more interested in filling out as much detail as possible rather then streamlining the story.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
I found book 8 terribly boring. 9 had the cleansing of the Source which was a nice change from the sitting around people were doing. 10 was a great concept, but the execution didn't do it for me.

Book 11 should have been awesome, but I was left feeling "meh." It was better than the previous 3 books, but not on par with the first 3 books at all. The manor house scene started awesome, but didn't go crazy enough for my liking (3 new weaves is all? When it started it was sweet, but then it was repetitive). Overall, I think the prob with Book 11 (honestly books 7 - 11) is that I don't feel any sort of worry for the characters. None are gonna die, so I have trouble feeling emotionally connected to them. The sense of wonder has fled.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
Overall, I think the prob with Book 11 (honestly books 7 - 11) is that I don't feel any sort of worry for the characters. None are gonna die, so I have trouble feeling emotionally connected to them. The sense of wonder has fled.

Or for the Forsaken, for that matter.  In fact, as far as some aspects went, the first six books seemed to be a different series in a way.  Rand's exploits seemed to be building in a logical manner (training, gaining the support of the Aiel, conquest and consolidation, which should have then led to Tarmon Gaidon), but then he  gets... well, sidetracked.  He doesn't just sit around for the next 5 books, but I don't feel that the progress he made, short of the cleansing, was really anything... significant.  The White Tower stuff starts to come to the forefront, which while that isn't bad... nothing really seems to happen there until book 11.  Perrin gets hauled off on a sidequest.  Mat's portions were cool the whole time, I think.  But my point is, we lose the hunt of the seals, Rand's conquest and consolidation kinda falls apart, Perrin sits in a tent moping...

There are still some interesting storylines being carried out, it's just that the main ones feel stalled and tossed aside.  And with Rand, perhaps irredeemably so.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »
Well in a way isn't that realistic we never go about things the way we plan them....details we forgot ect. throw us off while i enjoyed the first 7 more (yes i said 7 not 6) to me it makes the story even more real...he hit a road bump. Yes i do agree that they need to get on track again though...

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »
I think KoD got back on track, we had several things wrapped up and finished allowing us to move on to the aspects that will lead us into TG.