Author Topic: Writing Partner (Co-Author)  (Read 1652 times)

swaindaddy

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
Writing Partner (Co-Author)
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »
I have been scouring the net for information on finding a writing partner. I have written a single novel (Middle Grade Fantasy) and I am working on three projects currently. A large-scale fantasy, a non-fiction book and a thriller.

What seems to slow me down in my writing is a lack of someone else there to help with the journey. My strengths are story and plot. My weaknesses are dialogue and prose.

If you have the scoop on how one might find a writing partner or co-author please post here.

Thanks in advance].
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Writing Partner (Co-Author)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 05:09:42 AM »
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to go (other than here) to find a co-author, but I do believe that it seems that there are a great many people in this world with a great story who find they are weak in dialogue and prose.

Have you considered hiring a ghost writer?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:02:04 PM »
I have been scouring the net for information on finding a writing partner. I have written a single novel (Middle Grade Fantasy) and I am working on three projects currently. A large-scale fantasy, a non-fiction book and a thriller.

What seems to slow me down in my writing is a lack of someone else there to help with the journey. My strengths are story and plot. My weaknesses are dialogue and prose.

If you have the scoop on how one might find a writing partner or co-author please post here.

Thanks in advance].

I think what is slowing you down is working on 3 books at once, and what makes it even harder is working in 3 different genres. Having a co-author doesn't decrease the amount of work you do, it increases it - I know this from experience, and from several conversations with authors who do a lot of collaborations. I have often heard it explained that you each end up doing 110% of the work. If you are having trouble with dialogue and prose, write more of it to practice. Or, study up on what you favorite authors do that makes their dialogue and prose great and then emulate them. You might also consider a writing group of some sort to get regular feedback on what is possibly hurting those particular aspects of your writing.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't even co-author projects - personally I love it and feel that they get some of the most unique ideas, which is why I try to get collaborations quite often. I'm just saying that don't go into it thinking that it will make it easier to finish a project. In addition, many people won't want to get on-board with your ideas if you already think you have them all fleshed out - co-authors will want a good chunk of creative control that you might not want to offer.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
BG got it right; co-authoring can certainly be worthwhile, but it's a lot harder than writing a book on your own. I tried once with a good friend of mine; I think we might have gotten about three chapters in. (Granted, we were both sixteen... but still.)

I'd also say start looking for a co-author among people you know well who might be interested if you haven't done that already. Then you'd be more likely to end up with someone you want to work with. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to know.

swaindaddy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:48 AM »
Thanks for all the insight! I think the wisdom seems to be for me to work on the issues I am struggling with rather than finding a collaborator at this point.

Perhaps I will explore the group idea to help hone my work.

Thanks for the tips.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »
Instead of a coauthor maybe you need a sounding board. Someone who has the insight to be a little more intimate than a reading circle but who isn't overtly adding text  and plot points for you to merge.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.