Author Topic: Ink needs to do his own research  (Read 18691 times)

Argent

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
Re: Ink needs to do his own research
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
Here is some Zane:

The Watcher stood quietly. He didn't look much like a messenger or courier. He wore all black, even a pair of black gloves. He wore trousers and a silken shirt, with no cloak or cape. She remembered that face. It was him.

Vin spun. A man landed quietly behind her. He looked . . . familiar, for some reason. He had a lean face—topped with dark hair—and his head was cocked slightly in confusion. She could see the question in his eyes. Why had she fallen down?

The Watcher stood quietly, then shook his head, as if . . . disappointed. Then, he pulled something from his sash.
Through the swirling mists, in the reflected light of the tent, she could see something on Zane's arm.

The skin was covered with thin white streaks. Scars.

Zane immediately lowered his arm, hiding the scarred flesh with his sleeve.

I know Brandon had something about the boxings in one of his annotations, but I can't remember which one or what it said. I know it's there though.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
The sash is mentioned specifically, so I presume he keeps his coins and spare vials tucked into the folds of it... if he needed to dump his metals, it'd be as simple as pulling loose the sash. 

The description of a shirt, trousers and gloves is just the sort of thing I needed though, thank you! It can be hard to find a single line like that when you need it.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:52:52 PM by Inkthinker »

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
The boxings are called that because they  have a picture of Kredik Shaw - the Lord Ruler's "box" - on them. Beyond that, I don't remember reading anything specific about the coins. And Inkthinker, did you consider making the clips look like wedges of a larger coin rather than squares, if they are just pieces of a coin?
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
I have, but the same problem comes up as with the square coins - they're not immediately identifiable as "coins" from a purely visual standpoint. They end up looking like metal splinters or something else "not coins", and while that may be more accurate from a narrative standpoint, it doesn't serve an illustration well.

This is one of those things that drives me nuts as a fan and as a person responsible for production material... some things really just don't work as well in one media as they do in another. All too often producers are very cavalier about makig changes, but I've always been intent on at least trying to stay as faithful as possible to the source material. When even a small change like this comes up, it rankles me.

Heh... "rankles".  There's a word I don't get to use often enough.  ;D

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »
Perhaps hexagons or octagons? They are close enough to the circular shape of coins, and you can make the argument that are parts of a bigger entity quite easily.

On a side note, can't you just call Brandon and ask him?
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »
I can (and I did, the coins are round and clips are not pieces of larger coins), but I try not to call on Brandon too often 'cause the man is busy, and he's got a lot more on his plate than Mistborn.

Most of the burden of research accuracy is on my shoulders, and he doesn't need to burn his time answering questions for me that could be answered by just reading the books thoroughly. Furthermore, asking him MB questions at this time draws him out of what he's working on right now (which isn't MB), and so I want to do that as little as possible. Certainly not for one or two questions.

I'm doing most of the reading myself, but every so often I just can't find a passage that I need. Brandon is notoriously scarce about descriptions, especially in his earlier novels... you might think this makes my job easier, but in fact it means every nibble of definition that IS written becomes that much more vitally important.

Many of the fans here have read the books more often than I have, and know the material well enough to remember things I miss, and so that's why I'm tapping you guys here. I want these designs to be as book-accurate as I can make 'em, and not just create stuff what I think looks cool. I get to do a lot of that anyway, but if I can make stuff that looks cool AND gets it "right", that's even better.

Most of the questions I have I can answer on my own. But when I can't, then I ask.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:20:10 PM by Inkthinker »

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 11:49:29 PM »
Well, right, I can see why you wouldn't want to call him for every little - or big - thing. But there are some things that are not in the books, and I am certain Brandon is excited about having accurate and cool art re: his books almost as much as the fans.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2011, 07:10:48 AM »
Have you thought about pumping Peter for information?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »
I  do tap Peter as well, but honestly he is just as busy as Brandon.

They both see everything that I'm drawing for the book, but it's an easier job for everyone if I get it right sooner rather than later.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Brandon still has background information documents that he hasn't given me. I keep reminding him.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »
Kelsier is described as being  "hawk-faced"... I've heard the term used a lot, but I wonder if I'm imagining it right and I'm having trouble finding a visual example.

Suggestions for what features you would use to describe someone as "hawk-faced"? I think it's a bit more than just the nose...

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »
The nose and a narrow jaw/chin and a little larger eyes. That what I think of when you "hawk face", but that's just me.
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
This, although humorous, actually gives a better idea than most.

mycoltbug

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
Hawk like for a woman I see this face http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8zmzp2rKo She comes in at 15 seconds into it.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 03:44:37 AM »
The Mtn Dew commercial is somewhat helpful. Narrow chin, sharp cheekbones, a thin roman nose, that's more or less what I had in place. A little bit like a younger Gabriel Byrne, I suppose.

I'll run the rough past Peter and Brandon and see if I'm in the ballpark.

Sometimes it's just useful to know that I'm thinking the same things other readers are.