Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Ink needs to do his own research

(1/15) > >>

Inkthinker:
Hey all, I'm here to pick your brains again rather than pick through the books for reference. Help a brother out:

In what ways do Terrismen differ physically from humans? I know they're taller, and I seem to recall Sazed being described as skinny, but what else was noted in the text?

And in terms of humans and the class structure of the Final Empire; there's peasant skaa, city skaa, merchant skaa, nobles  and the Canton (inquisitors). What else am I not thinking of? Are we to assume that the classes are largely the same across the Empire?

What other non-humans are mentioned outside of koloss and the kandra (and the mistwraiths, which are immature kandra)?

Were there other mentions of wildlife outside of dogs and horses (and if I recall correctly, rats)? I know much of the wildlife in the world is gone due to environmental changes, but what other domestic wildlife has survived? Cows? Cats? Pigs? Chickens?

I'm sure I'll come up with other questions as time goes on. I've got the novels for refs (and lately I've been highlighting or underlining passages that are particularly descriptive, so eventually I'll have a "visually annotated" copy of the trilogy), but sometimes it's just easier to ask.

ryos:

--- Quote ---In what ways do Terrismen differ physically from humans? I know they're taller, and I seem to recall Sazed being described as skinny, but what else was noted in the text?
--- End quote ---

Besides the fact that they are human themselves, there's the whole Feruchemy thing.

--- Quote ---And in terms of humans and the class structure of the Final Empire; there's peasant skaa, city skaa, merchant skaa, nobles  and the Canton (inquisitors). What else am I not thinking of? Are we to assume that the classes are largely the same across the Empire?
--- End quote ---

Are you including Obligators in the Canton? Also, Obligators are of noble birth.

--- Quote ---Were there other mentions of wildlife outside of dogs and horses (and if I recall correctly, rats)? I know much of the wildlife in the world is gone due to environmental changes, but what other domestic wildlife has survived? Cows? Cats? Pigs? Chickens?
--- End quote ---

Goats for sure. I don't remember anything else.

Inkthinker:
I'm mostly referring only to physical appearance differences. Different ears, noses, etc.

Feruchemy does make physical changes, (pewtermind channeling, for instance), but I'm looking for a basic, "average" reference.

I've found the passage that descibes Sazed (which is also, I think, the first time we meet a Terrisman at all). He is taller than Kelsier, enough to be considered abnormally tall, but not so much that Sanderson needed to lay out a height as he does later with the koloss. I'm thinking that means about 7 feet or so. He has stretched earlobes with studs that run all around the outside (which we know to be metalminds, now), and his arms are longer than normal. He has a "long, flat face" and a "willowy" build.

From that I can makes some extrapolations, but anything I'm missing would be appreciated.

ryos:
You didn't mention it, so I thought I'd throw out that Sazed shaves his head.

I've also always thought of him as not being white, but the description of Tindwyl kinda puts the kibosh on that.

Inkthinker:
I actually did miss that. For some reason I had him pictured as having a sort of colonial haircut, shoulder-length pulled back into a short tail.

That's why I check in with the crowd here, someone usually catches me before I wander off too far.

Rough sketch posted in the Fan Art thread. Feel free to check it out and let me know what else I'm missing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version